Very very upset with NCL

geegee1

According to my e-docs they gave us the MS Mid Ship like we originally booked. Very happy they did, because after seeing the BA balcony pics there is no way I would have let my 8yo sleep there. Thanks for posting the pics.

Didn't even think about asking for the adjoining cabins. If we decide to cruise again in the future and something like happens again, I'll go that route.

Thanks for all the info and support

We cruised on the BA twice. The bed set up for the mini suites are almost identical to what you saw in the photos on the Epic. So, I believe someone will have to sleep on the pull down bunk. The sofa only accommodates one. The exception is in the family ocean view rooms on deck 5. The sofa bed in those does "pull out" to accommodate two. Just thought I would mention.

According to my e-docs they gave us the MS Mid Ship like we originally booked. Very happy they did, because after seeing the BA balcony pics there is no way I would have let my 8yo sleep there. Thanks for posting the pics.

Didn't even think about asking for the adjoining cabins. If we decide to cruise again in the future and something like happens again, I'll go that route.

Thanks for all the info and support

I am glad they found a way to get you into your minisuite.

Maybe they found some other passenger who was happy to take a lesser cabin with an OBC...if so, everyone can now be happy. Have a wonderful time.

We cruised on the BA twice. The bed set up for the mini suites are almost identical to what you saw in the photos on the Epic. So, I believe someone will have to sleep on the pull down bunk. The sofa only accommodates one. The exception is in the family ocean view rooms on deck 5. The sofa bed in those does "pull out" to accommodate two. Just thought I would mention.

According to their website the MS Mid Ship Cat MA & MB:

Located mid-ship with easy access to everything, these Mini-Suites feature two lower beds that convert to a queen-size bed, sofa bed and a private balcony.

While the regular Mini-Suite with Balcony Cat MX:

Enjoy a private balcony with amazing views from these Mini-Suites which feature two lower beds that convert to a queen-size bed, an upper bed, and a sofa bed.

We have a MB.

Just wanted to be sure everyone realizes there is a railing on that pull down bed, even though hard to see in that picture. My son was 6 when he slept in one of those, and he thought it was the greatest thing ever. He was in heaven.

(Nothing to do with the OP's issue, just commenting on that pull-down!)

Let me preface this by saying that up until 30 minutes ago NCL was basically the only cruise line I would consider cruising with.

Just got a call from the company we booked the cruise with that NCL can not honor our Mini-Suite Midship guarantee and will be moving us to a balcony instead. They tried to make it seem like a good deal because they were going to give us $500 discount. I told the TA that this was not acceptable. We booked what we booked because we wanted a MS. He said he's going to call them back. If they do not rectify this I will be extremely upset.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

IMHO, Next time, just book a Mini Suite and skip all the drama crap of a GTY or GTE or whatever you want to call it.

Just wanted to be sure everyone realizes there is a railing on that pull down bed, even though hard to see in that picture. My son was 6 when he slept in one of those, and he thought it was the greatest thing ever. He was in heaven.

(Nothing to do with the OP's issue, just commenting on that pull-down!)

Thanks. That's good to know

Geegee1, we were originally booked in a mb, then moved to a m6. (Our cabin was taken out of service two days before we sailed) Both had bunks. My boys loved the bunk. The younger one had me call to make sure there was a bunk or he said he didn't want to go, lol. Hopefully you have a double sofa, but I just wanted to make you aware of the set ups that we had, since not all surprises are good. You will love the Breakaway regardless. She's a beauty. And the shower in the mini? It was heaven. I still miss it. Happy sailing.

IMHO, Next time, just book a Mini Suite and skip all the drama crap of a GTY or GTE or whatever you want to call it.

If there were assignable rooms left that were bookable, they wouldn't have been able to book it as a guarantee. It's not a choice, where you get to pick between having an assigned room or having a guarantee. Guarantees are only offered once the listed inventory of rooms has been assigned.

Admittedly, I don't know much about GTY category. But, if the TA and/or PCC with NCL can't fulfill the OP's GTY category, then just cancel the cruise and find another one. Or, am I missing something?

I guess I just wouldn't stress over this if I can find a ship that meets my requirements.

According to their website the MS Mid Ship Cat MA & MB:

Located mid-ship with easy access to everything, these Mini-Suites feature two lower beds that convert to a queen-size bed, sofa bed and a private balcony.

While the regular Mini-Suite with Balcony Cat MX:

Enjoy a private balcony with amazing views from these Mini-Suites which feature two lower beds that convert to a queen-size bed, an upper bed, and a sofa bed.

We have a MB.

According to what you posted, your going to be 1 bed short! MX has everything a MB PLUS an upper bed! Your MB according to what you shust posted above, does not have the upper bed, just the queen and the sofa bed. Are you sure you have enough beds with the MB?:eek::eek:

geegee - whether you're in a balcony or a mini, the 4th person will sleep in the pull down bunk. You're not avoiding this with a mini.

Yeah, I agree. I didn't want to say it since he/she was so upset ... but you're right. I don't think the OP realizes it's nearly impossible to fall out of that bed. You have a much better chance of falling out of a regular bed than the bunk. In fact, unless you're climbing over the railing, it just isn't going to happen!

Admittedly, I don't know much about GTY category. But, if the TA and/or PCC with NCL can't fulfill the OP's GTY category, then just cancel the cruise and find another one. Or, am I missing something?

I guess I just wouldn't stress over this if I can find a ship that meets my requirements.

We found out about it yesterday and sail tomorrow

According to what you posted, your going to be 1 bed short! MX has everything a MB PLUS an upper bed! Your MB according to what you shust posted above, does not have the upper bed, just the queen and the sofa bed. Are you sure you have enough beds with the MB?:eek::eek:

The pull out couch should be enough since my daughter's will sleep together on it. According to the room legend on ncl.com , the room sleeps 4. The sofa bed on the Gem was more than big enough for them in the past.

We were on the epic in a family balcony with 4, 2 adults and 10 and 7 year old. Tight space..A balcony on rccl is much bigger.

The bunk bed is safe... I'd move it up back I into the ceiling In the morning. A night wouldn't go by without someone hitting their head on the bed.

As per a MS the extra space is probably in the washroom. I'll be able to say more when I come back from my next cruise. And I'd rather a small room on a cruise then a hotel room on land...

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

For what it's worth, when we were on the Gem there were 4 of us; 2 adults and 2 kids, in an ocean view room... no balcony. It was only cramped when the beds were set up. We weren't in the room long enough during the day to even think about it. It will be fine whatever happens, but I do agree that you got a raw deal here. Does $500 make up for the cost of a mini-suite vs. regular balcony room? I would expect "compensation" for the major inconvenience of putting up with NCL's mistake of booking one type of room and getting another. Just because you booked a guarantee room doesn't mean you should have to accept a lower room. They are probably looking for someone else to move hoping they will be happy with the $500. Keep us posted. Good luck!

For $500 I'd take it and be happy. Unless the 40 extra Sq ft which is most likely in the bathroom for them to fit the tub and body spray is what $500 is worth. I'd be mad if they downgraded me from an actual suite to a balcony.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

• 1 year later...
The same just happened to me I booked a MB and they just assigned me a M6 in a lower deck (8). on the Escape for November 21 2015. Is that a downgrade? should I complain what are your thoughts?

With NCL the cabin subcategories (second character in code) from lowest to highest go from X to A, then 9 to 1. So you got an upgrade, and if the categories are similar on Breakaway plus class ships as they are on Breakaway class ships, that is a really great upgrade because of the huge balcony on M6.

But anyway there is nothing you can complain about, booking a guarantee does not guarantee you a specific location or deck but only a specific cabin category or higher - and that is what you got, even If the location isn't what you thought it'd be.

Edited by Demonyte

The same just happened to me I booked a MB and they just assigned me a M6 in a lower deck (8). on the Escape for November 21 2015. Is that a downgrade? should I complain what are your thoughts? Thanks for the help.

The M6 is a fantastic room. In my opinion the best Mini Suites on the ship, and the one I would book out of choice. The balcony is huge. I think you've done really well there.

M6 on the away class are amazing. On Getaway we had 2 loungers, 2 chairs and a drink table with still lots of space to move around. Most balcony's on the away class barely have room to turn around you have to sit sideways.

Deck 8 is great because its easy to get to a lot of places on ship

Many good points made here, including I don't think you can book a position (in this case midship) on the boat as a guarantee. Also there is not a whole lot of difference between a mini suite and a balcony cabin. We just returned from a cruise on Epic and we had a balcony and our friends had a mini suite. A difference, yes, but not a whole lot. Treat yourself and your significant other to some spa treatments of some sort with the $500 OBC, or you can order some nice bottles of wine with some of your dinners, or buy something out of the shops on board. Many ways to use that $500.