Carnival Victory Review (with a toddler) - Feb 3-8 2014

*Cassie*

But, that’s ok. We all missed it. After waiting up there almost 1.5 hours and wondering what’s going on, why aren’t we leaving, we finally gave up and went to get dinner.

We did see the sunset, though!

Day7-125_zpsdb21e83f.jpg

This chicken parm at dinner was really good!

Day7-127_zpse98b2a96.jpg

Andrew’s desserts. I just got a cheesecake and they had a few different sauces you could top it with.

Day7-130_zpscc2d76b1.jpg

Then we were excited to watch the Olympics opening ceremony out on the deck!

Day7-132_zps0240b077.jpg

Once we found some deck chairs we realized we were moving. Not sure what time we actually ended up sailing away.

Of course we only got to see the first part of the actual ceremony before Sophia was over it. We watched the rest of it back in our cabin.

Day7-133_zps5b9e6806.jpg

Up next… Debarkation and post-cruise

Love reading your review in tandem with mine! Looks like we're both on Little Stirrup Cay today, lol. It's so fun to see how we took the same vacation, and had 2 separate vacations:rolleyes: I think that's why I love cruising. Thanks for taking the time in doing this. And btw, your baby girl is just precious! ;)

Oh I'll have to go check your review out next! And yeah, vacationing with a toddler is definitely a different experience. Looking forward to see how yours went and what I have to look forward to in the future! And thank you! :)

Thanks for your review! We are on a 7 day in May with our (to be) 14 month old son. I've been eagerly looking for reviews on traveling with a toddler. Any tips, lessons learned, insight? We have a 3 hour time change so I am worried about sleeping and naps. I also don't know what sort of activities to look for... back to back beach days will probably get a little old.

Sounds like Sophia kept you on your toes! :D She's cute!

She sure did! Thanks! :)

Thanks for your review! We are on a 7 day in May with our (to be) 14 month old son. I've been eagerly looking for reviews on traveling with a toddler. Any tips, lessons learned, insight? We have a 3 hour time change so I am worried about sleeping and naps. I also don't know what sort of activities to look for... back to back beach days will probably get a little old.

Hmm I think the best tip is to go in without any real expectations on what you'll be doing, otherwise you might be disappointed. Just go with the flow. Do as much as you can or want in between nap times.

I was really looking forward to eating in the dining room, and Sophia right before the cruise always did fine eating out, but of course wouldn't sit quietly there. So we ate from the buffet the rest of the cruise, which the food was fine, just wasn't quite the same. I would try out the dining room and see how he does.

Do you have a carrier? If so I highly recommend bringing that. It was so much easier for us to get around with. We brought our City Mini and it was actually too wide to get through the room doors, so we had to get her out in the hall and fold it up to bring it in or out. Also to get our food I would carry her on my back so I could get our food and not have to worry about pushing a stroller at the same time or taking turns with DH to get food.

We only had an hour time difference but I was still worried on how that would go. She's not the best sleeper to begin with, but she's never done well with the time changes. Thankfully she did ok, but we weren't on our normal routine at all. I just watched her sleep signs and went with that for the most part. And it also didn't take long for her to get back to her sleep routine once we got back.

There isn't much on the ship for this age group. I would definitely check out the open play at Camp Carnival on sea days. If he's anything like Sophia and likes to get down to explore, the theater when it was empty was a good spot. Lots of space for them to work those little legs and get some exercise. As far as excursions, we didn't plan anything.

Hope that helped a little. Let me know if you had any other specific questions. Enjoy your cruise!

Debarkation

Our last morning on the ship has arrived. So sad! We had already set most of our luggage out the night before to be picked up, so we packed up the rest of our stuff after getting ready and headed on up for our last breakfast.

I have to say, we had nothing but great experiences with the crew. I was surprised at how many people remembered Sophia’s name. From our room steward and his assistant to workers in the buffet. That morning we walked up to the buffet and one worker walked right over to us and said good morning, Sophia! So nice!

Day8-001_zpsb6aee9a8.jpg

Day8-004_zpsc2f640c4.jpg

We waited up in the buffet room until our number was called. I believe that was around 9:30. So we sadly exited the ship, found our luggage, and went back through security. We once again had no problem going through with our birth certificates. Then we made our way back to our car, paid for parking, and headed off.

Post-cruise

I decided to include this just in case anyone else might also be planning the same thing. Since we drove down here, we decided that on the way back we would spend a couple days in Orlando.

The drive from Miami to Orlando was I believe a little over 3 hours. Of course as soon as we arrived in Orlando it started raining. Not good since we had planned on spending the day at Downtown Disney. We grabbed some lunch and hoped that it would stop soon.

It was still raining, so we thought we’d go check in. We stayed at the Super 8 Orlando International Drive. It was a motel, but the location and price was great. I thought the room was actually pretty cute. The bathroom on the other hand, not so great...

Day8-009_zpsd5e5339a.jpg

Relaxin!

Day8-011_zps5c648f60.jpg

Well, unfortunately, not only did the rain not stop but my poor girl spiked a fever. So we ended up just spending the day hanging out in our room. We were really worried about what we’d do the next day if she wasn’t feeling better.

Day8-013_zpsc6b48cef.jpg

But thankfully we worried for nothing! She was completely fine the next morning!

Day9-004_zps0730352b.jpg

Our plan for today was to go to Universal Studios Islands of Adventure. The main reason, Wizarding World of Harry Potter!

Day9-008_zpsb3f5384e.jpg

Day9-011_zpse73b5587.jpg

Here we go!

Day9-014_zps6fc44cd9.jpg

Our first glimpse of Hogwarts!

Day9-016_zps5c2a229a.jpg

After a few pictures, we went straight to the castle. I’ve heard the lines can get long, so we wanted to get to that one right away.

Day9-033_zps05ff3f5c.jpg

While you go through the waiting line, there’s lots of neat things to look at that you’ll recognize from the books/movie.

Day9-036_zps5fa3e0be.jpg

The paintings were actually screens, so they’d move around in the frame.

Day9-040_zps33313397.jpg

Dumbledore’s office. The image didn’t show up with our flash on, but he appeared on that landing above his desk and talked to us. If you look close you can kind of see him.

Day9-042_zpsda628f11.jpg

And here Harry, Ron, and Hermoine appeared.

Day9-044_zps01baa5b3.jpg

Day9-045_zps532fe0d0.jpg

They have a nice feature here for parents. You can stand in line together and then when you get to the front of the line they have a swap room. One parent will go on the ride while the other waits in a room with your child, then you swap so you don’t have to go through the line again. Unfortunately, Sophia wanted nothing to do with me leaving her, so I didn’t go on it. Andrew got very motion sick on it anyway, so I wasn’t too bummed about missing it.

Outside the castle there was a stage where we saw two different short shows that day. First was the Hogwart’s Choir. We watched them sing a few songs.

Day9-048_zpsb1ddd1e4.jpg

Then we noticed the pumpkin juice cart. We had to try that! I was a little undecided on it. It was very sweet.

Day9-051_zps4348530d.jpg

Sophia loved the bottle, though! ha

Day9-055_zpsb51a0d20.jpg

Our next stop was Olivander’s. There was a bit of a wait for this. I think they said approximately 45 minutes, but I didn’t check to see if it was accurate.

These pictures didn’t turn out well since they asked us to turn off our flash and it was dark in there. Here’s the best I got.

They picked a boy from the group and he got to choose his wand, or rather, the wand would choose him. Olivander picked one out and gave it to him and had him wave it while saying a spell. That caused the walls to shake and boxes fell. Not his wand. He tried a different one and something similar happened. Then finally he picked one and the room lit up and music played. He found his wand!

Day9-058_zps3592db61.jpg

Day9-059_zpse145963c.jpg

Day9-060_zps951e993a.jpg

They then usher you into a (very expensive) gift shop, of course. We discovered that the huge waiting line was to control the number of people in the gift shop, since the actual time in Olivander’s was only a few minutes.

The joke shop was one you could go in, so we checked that out while Sophia napped.

Day9-078_zpsd2567af6.jpg

They had a lot of the actual things mentioned in the book/movie.

Day9-079_zps5f1f0627.jpg

Day9-080_zps01a3313f.jpg

And that was connected to Honeydukes. Lots of yummy looking treats in here!

Day9-081_zps2d1f5086.jpg

Day9-083_zpsaa4226c2.jpg

Day9-086_zps69d102a0.jpg

Right outside Honeydukes, the thing we were most looking forward to here, Butterbeer!!!

Day9-087_zps8a683fea.jpg

Day9-088_zpsf679b05e.jpg

We got both a frozen and regular one. Which ended up working perfectly since I preferred the frozen and Andrew preferred the regular. These were so good! I would have loved to have another one. We’re going to try to make them at home. We found the recipe online, so we’ll see how it compares.

Day9-089_zpsa65557df.jpg

They then had a Tri-Wizzard Tournament show going on at the stage. As much as I enjoyed the experience of being in Harry Potter world, since we couldn’t really do the rides with Sophia, I’m not sure it was worth the money for us. I think what would have made our experience better, was if these small shows they had were in more of an actual theater where you could sit and watch something longer. These only lasted maybe ten minutes and people just crowded around, so it was hard to see.

Day9-092_zpsdfb7633a.jpg

We noticed on the map that the Jurrasic Park area had a play area, so we wanted to check that out for Sophia. She was tired of being in the stroller or carried, so we wanted to be able to let her run a bit before getting back in the car. Unfortunately it ended up being for older kids and it looked pretty wild so I’m afraid she would have just been knocked over.

Day9-094_zpsaaf070ab.jpg

So we found a fairly empty area and let her run for a bit.

Day9-106_zps43fa6a7f.jpg

And that was it for us. We still had 3 more hours to drive to Valdosta, GA where we would be staying the night.

Day9-109_zpsd593d222.jpg

One last picture before heading out and of course she wouldn’t look.

Day9-112_zps032d30ce.jpg

The next day was a super long day on the road, back to Illinois. And in our hurry to get the day started and over with, we didn’t realize we left behind a bag of clothes. Cost us $20 to get it shipped back to us… Lesson learned!

But thankfully she once again did great in the car, no major meltdowns and lots of napping!

Day10-003_zps79284eb1.jpg

And that’s the end of our trip. Thanks to those of you who read all the way through. Feel free to ask any questions at all!

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to say thanks for the great review and all the awesome pictures. I have a 25 month old and a 4 month old and we're starting to look into taking a cruise next year while I'm still on my mat leave, so your review has been super helpful with what we can expect. I was also thinking of a shorter cruise and a trip to Universal! I am a huge Harry Potter fan too! I know the kids won't get that much out of it, but I really want to go :)

Just wanted to say thanks for the great review and all the awesome pictures. I have a 25 month old and a 4 month old and we're starting to look into taking a cruise next year while I'm still on my mat leave, so your review has been super helpful with what we can expect. I was also thinking of a shorter cruise and a trip to Universal! I am a huge Harry Potter fan too! I know the kids won't get that much out of it, but I really want to go :)

Glad I could help! And I say go for it. It was a lot of fun. Enjoy! We recently booked our next cruise for when our new little guy will then be just about the same age as Sophia was here. So I'm excited to see how a cruise with two little ones will go!

• 11 months later...