Is Portofino worth the extra bucks?

I have dined in Portofino on the Explorer and on the Freedom. On the Freedom it was fabulous both times we ate there. On the Explorer it was just OK. The service was just OK as well as the food. We cancelled our second reservation there and ordered the steak and lobster from the pay extra menu in the MDR. That was well worth the money. It was fantastic!!

Another vote for Portifino's. You should definitely take advantage of it still being on Explorer. Most have been converted to Giovanni's, which is ok, but I preferred Portifino's.....JMHO, of course ; )

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Just got off of the Adventurer of the Seas last Sunday and out second night out we ate in Portofino's. My wife and I have been on fourteen cruises and enjoy going to the specialty restaurants because the difference is like going to dinner vs Ruth Chris steak house. It's not that all MDR food is bad it's just not as good as the Specialty rest. This was the same case with Portofino's. Service was terrific and so was the food. If your expecting to see a lot of southern Italy red sauce meals for get it. The lambs chops I had were some of the best ever. Appetizers were way above what you get in the MDR and desserts were to die for. Bottom line is Go for It!:cool::cool:

• 5 months later...
Wait there is a pay extra menu in main dining area? I am sailing explorer this coming week. Can you tell me more about that!?

There are usually 3 extra cost items on each evening's MDR menu: Chops's steak, Maine lobster, and a combo steak and lobster tail.

I wish I had gone to Portofino the first night of our recent cruise. We debated it but decided we liked the prime rib on the menu for the first night.

Unfortunately it was really terrible; it had a weird spongy texture and reminded me of when I used to dissect things in biology in high school. I actually did complain onboard about it, and in my survey. There was also an eggplant and artichoke (I think) tart appetizer that was awful. I couldn't cut through the pastry. But later on I heard people talking about dinner and how awesome it was. So you never know.

Hi all! Just booked my first RC cruise. Going to Bermuda. Yay. I am just curious if any of you have eaten in Portofino and whether or not you thought it was worth the extra money. We are from NJ so we have a lot of experience with excellent Italian food.

Thanks for your help!

Oh my, yes!