Braemar canaries cruise dining questions

hazel80

Hi we are going on the Braemar on the 12th of March and wondered if anyone going on the Braemar canaries cruise 28th Feb - if so could they check the following for me.

Are there any thai/indian food nights?

What is the Palms Cafe like for dining of an evening, we may decide not to use the formal restaurant as the timing may not suit us, we still want to dress up though.

Do you have any deck barbecues and are they on the evening?

What times do the shows/entertainment start of an evening.

This is to give us an idea of how many times we will choose to eat in the main restaurant.

Thank you

Hi Hazel We are going next week, so may be able to answer your questions when we get back on the 28th Feb. I have been on Braemar before though and can thoroughly recommend Palms Cafe. You will be shown to a table by a waiter. It is laid out with tablecloths, flowers etc at night, and if they are not busy the waiters will carry your soup and sweet to your table and get your coffee for you. We met people on there who had used the buffet every night.

We like to dress up at night too and you will not feel out of place dressing smartly for Palms.

Not sure what times the shows start, but they are designed to fit with 1st and 2nd sittings

We have two themed nights - British and Tropical, not sure about Thai/Indian evenings, I seem to remember a chinese night last time.

I love the Braemar, my favourite ship :)

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA

If it helps, the first show time is around 8:30, it is timed to suit those on the first sitting. There is dancing before that and sometimes something else run by the entertainment staff like a little game-show style thing with a few audience volunteers.

The 2nd show we do not usually go to, but it would be around 10:15-10:30 I'd say.

Barbecues tend to be lunch time if they have them, not in the evening.

They do not usually do anything that will disturb the flow of the main dining rooms in the evening, with the exception of a specialty dinner in Palms once or twice depending on length of cruise, that will be something like an Indian night, or Asian perhaps. On that evening you would have to make reservations to dine in Palms. No cost involved, but it is not open seating.

As for dressing smartly in the Palms, it is not a problem generally, but do remember that on formal nights it is the only refuge for those not wishing to dress formally.

Edited by Mark_T

Hi Linda,

Thanks for your advice - if you get a chance when you get back, could you update me. Have a wonderful time.

Hazel

Thanks Hazel I think Mark has answered some of your questions, but will be glad to answer any when I get back (don't want to think of that yet :rolleyes:)

Hi we are going on the Braemar on the 12th of March and wondered if anyone going on the Braemar canaries cruise 28th Feb - if so could they check the following for me.

Are there any thai/indian food nights?

What is the Palms Cafe like for dining of an evening, we may decide not to use the formal restaurant as the timing may not suit us, we still want to dress up though.

Do you have any deck barbecues and are they on the evening?

What times do the shows/entertainment start of an evening.

This is to give us an idea of how many times we will choose to eat in the main restaurant.

Thank you

Just back from the Braemar:

1. There was an Asian night in Palms Cafe - reservation only, but no charge. I've no idea what was served.

2. Palms cafe is nice, tablecloths and waiter service for drinks (you get your own food) at every meal, better than the average buffet.

3. Don't know about deck barbecues. I didn't notice any. They do have a fish and chip place by the pools at lunchtime.

4. The main show is 8.30 (first sitting) and 10.30 (second sitting); if there are two shows, the other is something like 7.0 (2nd sitting) and 10.0 (first sitting).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Hazel, back yesterday and had a great time. We ate in Palms on the first night as we were very tired, but in MDR on other nights. Food was fabulous! Lovely friendly staff and excellent entertainment. As others have said, first sitting is 6.15pm & 2nd is 8.15pm. Don't, miss the Crew Shows - brilliant!

There was an Asian night in Palms which you had to book, but we didn't bother. I think there was to be a barbeque one night, but the weather was not suitable,so I think it was a held indoors :eek:

I'm sure you will have a great time :)

Hi Linda, thanks for reply seems you had a great time, can't wait on countdown now. Just a couple of questions, what did people wear on British Night, was it very informal, not certain what to do for this. Also our cabin shows as a twin on the FO site, but can be made up to a double, do we have to request this prior to arriving. This is just great being able to ask questions of someone who's already 'been there - done it'!!!

Thanks

Hi Hazel,

People wore all sorts :) I wore white cut offs and a red top that I already had in the cupboard and bought some blue ear-rings and a necklace to go with it. DH wore grey trousers, with a navy blazer, white shirt and red tie. Someone on our table wore a red England football shirt :D Some didn't bother at all :rolleyes:

Regarding the beds, I think we were asked when we booked what we wanted. I'm sure they will make it up as a double if you ask them.