Do they ask to see your credit card at check in?

pompeii

We always put a chunk of cash down on day 1. Then on day 5, I go back down and add my debit card (used as credit) to the account. We have never had any holds put on our cards (we have used hubby's also). We do alert our credit union/bank that we are going on a cruise. If you use the card as a credit card, you are protected under the same Visa or MC network if the card is stolen etc.. I have checked this out thoroughly.

We have done this 4 or 5 cruises without any issue whatsoever.

I hope your son has a wonderful and safe cruise.

:p

Edited by Esmerelda

Royal Caribbean do not accept prepaid credit cards, so the easiest IMHO is to set up a cash account and use travellers cheques to make payment. Although I believe travellers cheques are not as readily available in the US as they are here (just ordered and picked my Amex travellers cheques up today for next weeks cruise) in the UK.

I have a pre-paid credit card that I use for holidays only and about to load up for my med cruise this summer.

Please can you highlight for me where it mentions no pre- paid credit cards accepted.

Thanks for the info.

Royal Caribbean do not accept prepaid credit cards, so the easiest IMHO is to set up a cash account and use travellers cheques to make payment. Although I believe travellers cheques are not as readily available in the US as they are here (just ordered and picked my Amex travellers cheques up today for next weeks cruise) in the UK.

I believe most credit unions still have them available. We have one near us that even does it for free. We usually go in and exchange our trip cash for travellers cheques and carry nothing but those with us and change them in for small bills at guest services.

Initially when I booked DH, myself and daughter on our cruises, I could have authorized her charges to be put on my card by checking the box for all passengers during the Online checkin. She had her own Credit Card so put in her CC information on the online checkin & Acct page.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

When my Alan and I travel I usually make all the arrangements. He and I (female) are not married, not related and he is not on my credit cards as an authorized users. But I have never had a problem using the one card for both of us for on-board charges. I am not sure why the OP had a problem but sounds like their bank is not very user-friendly.

If you do the on-line sign with a credit card, you need to show the SAME one at check-in.

Otherwise, the check in people have to start the credit account over again with the new card. It is not a problem, it just takes a few extra minutes. I've had this happen when I brought a different card just because I did not want to bring my high available balance card with me.

When my Alan and I travel I usually make all the arrangements. He and I (female) are not married, not related and he is not on my credit cards as an authorized users. But I have never had a problem using the one card for both of us for on-board charges. I am not sure why the OP had a problem but sounds like their bank is not very user-friendly.

If you do the on-line sign with a credit card, you need to show the SAME one at check-in.

Otherwise, the check in people have to start the credit account over again with the new card. It is not a problem, it just takes a few extra minutes. I've had this happen when I brought a different card just because I did not want to bring my high available balance card with me.

Unless I misread - I believe the problem lies in that the OP is NOT cruising with her son but wants her son to use her CC which is in her name - but she won't be present. The son either needs a cash account, a cc with his name on it or as the OP is thinking enough OBC to cover his expenses. You can't charge on a cc in someone else's name if that someone else isn't there as well.

I believe most credit unions still have them available. We have one near us that even does it for free. We usually go in and exchange our trip cash for travellers cheques and carry nothing but those with us and change them in for small bills at guest services.

Thanks for bringing info to my notice.

It took me ages but I have just read at the back of the brochure (using a magnifying glass) that RCI do not accept pre- paid credit cards.

Why doesn't he just apply for a credit card if his own and not have to worry? Many companies will readily give a credit card with a $500-1000 line to anyone in college as long as they haven't trashed their credit. Total processing time from application to receiving the card is usually a couple of weeks. It will help him build his own credit rating, which will be important in a couple of years.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

I have a pre-paid credit card that I use for holidays only and about to load up for my med cruise this summer.

Please can you highlight for me where it mentions no pre- paid credit cards accepted.

Thanks for the info.

Please check item 9 of the UK T&Cs http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/_images/WW16_114-129_TCs_UK_tcm16-11237.pdf 'HOW DO I PAY FOR ONBOARD PURCHASES?'

"At the time of printing the following credit cards are accepted on Royal Caribbean® ships: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discovery and Diners Card. Since American Express Traveller Cheque Cards are prepaid cards, they cannot be used for onboard cruise charges and nor can any other type of pre-paid card. Please note: we do not accept Switch/Maestro cards. "

Edited by peteukmcr

Please check item 9 of the UK T&Cs http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/_images/WW16_114-129_TCs_UK_tcm16-11237.pdf 'HOW DO I PAY FOR ONBOARD PURCHASES?'

"At the time of printing the following credit cards are accepted on Royal Caribbean® ships: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discovery and Diners Card. Since American Express Traveller Cheque Cards are prepaid cards, they cannot be used for onboard cruise charges and nor can any other type of pre-paid card. Please note: we do not accept Switch/Maestro cards. "

Thank you.Already sent message to you saying that I found info at back of brochure but had to use a magnifying glass to read it!