Live from the Explorer - February 16, 2014

Hey Anna Marie,

Fancy meeting you here! This is your first Royal cruise? I am surprised.....thought you might have cruised with them at some point out of Bayonne.

As far as I am concerned, there is little to choose between them and Celebrity - some things better, some things not so much. It all seems to even out. Internet is one of the biggies - you won't get what you get as Elite+ on Royal.

Jackie and I have been on Explorer several times and will do her repositioning in November. We love her. Don't miss the ice show.

I hope your health problems have been resolved by now!

Enjoy!

Sheila.

PS.....have thoroughly enjoyed this review!

Jonathon,

Great review! I loved the photos. Thanks for reassuring us that the Explorer is still in great shape. Heading to Bermuda on April 19 :). Can't wait! Thanks again.

Bill

Someone on my Roll Call message board posted a Compass from their December sailing with the same itinerary as my upcoming cruise on The Explorer and yours. I am just wondering if daily events change from cruise to cruise???

Jonathon,

Great review! I loved the photos. Thanks for reassuring us that the Explorer is still in great shape. Heading to Bermuda on April 19 :). Can't wait! Thanks again.

Bill

Thank you very much Bill, it's nice of you to say. You will love Explorer she is in a class by herself a real classic liner. I still intend to write a full review I've just been up to my eyeballs the last couple of weeks.

Someone on my Roll Call message board posted a Compass from their December sailing with the same itinerary as my upcoming cruise on The Explorer and yours. I am just wondering if daily events change from cruise to cruise???

If the December cruise was a 7-night Bahamas run I bet it's pretty much the same as the current Compasses.

Jonathan

Does anyone know if Explorer has the Coca Cola Freestyle machine. I have been searching the boards and some say they have it only on certain ships and Explorer is not one of them. I was looking at photos on flickr and I saw a photo of the Freestyle machine on the Explorer.

Thanks

Evelyn

Does anyone know if Explorer has the Coca Cola Freestyle machine. I have been searching the boards and some say they have it only on certain ships and Explorer is not one of them. I was looking at photos on flickr and I saw a photo of the Freestyle machine on the Explorer.

Thanks

Evelyn

Yes, Explorer has the Freestyle machines. I believe there are 5 on Explorer: 2 in Windjammer, 2 on the Promenade, and 1 in the arcade.

Jonathan...

I hate to be a pain in the .... but any luck w/ scanning the compasses?

Really curious if there were any drink specials/happy hours... not sure if you partook in the libations, but I plan to... considerably :D

Hi Laney,

There were several Happy Hours and cocktail sampling events on board.

Boarding Day

Drink of the Day - Bahama Mama -

Bars Open:

Aquarium Bar - Deck 4 - 11:30 am

Crown & Kettle Pub - Deck 5 - 11:30 am

The Sky Bar - Deck 12 - 11:30 am

Liquor Tasting - Royal Promenade Shops - 6:30 to 9:30 pm

Day 2 -

Drink of the Day - Caribbean Tea - $6.75

A delicious blend of tropical juices, peach schnapps, Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum and Smirnoff Vodka shaken and strained over ice, topped with Sprite.

Bubbles & Bloody Special - Be traditional or try something new from Bloody Mary to Mimosas, all your morning favorites. Only $5.50 Royal Promenade Deck 5.

Beer Tasting - Crown & Kettle Club - 3 pm - Deck 5. There is a charge for this but, it was not listed on the $ sign.

Wine Tasting - 3pm - Dining Room - Deck 3 - Sample four varieties of wines with our Cellar Masters ($)

Lafite Wine Experience - 3pm - Deck 3 - Magellan Dining Room. ($)

Day 3

Drink of the Day - Tropical Lemonade - $6.75 with keepsake glass - A delicious of refreshing layered lemonade served on the rocks with Smirnoff Vodka and blue Curacao.

Note - We tried to buy blue Curacao in the Bahamas and it was nowhere to be found, guess you have to travel to the Caribbean to get it, rather partial to that victual.

Day 4

Drink of the Day - Pear Tree - $6.75 plus the glass - A crisp and refreshing blend of Monin Desert Pear, Smirnoff vodka, Sprite and a splash of sweet and sour served over the rocks.

Day 5

Drink of the Day - Tropical Sunset - Smirnoff vodka, peach schnapps and Chambord Black Raspberry liqueur are shaken with cranberry and pineapple juices . No price listed.

Day 6

Drink of the Day - Tradewinds Cooler $6.75 - A delightfully sweet combination of Bacardi Superior rum, Island Oasis strawberry and pineapple juices and orange juices served over ice, topped with Sprite.

Beer Tasting - 2pm - Crown & Kettle $14.95 plus grats

Lafite Wine Experience - 3pm - Magellan Dining Room ($)

Happy Hour - 3pm to 5pm - All cocktails 50% Off

Happy Sails,

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

Cruiserking - since you mentioned the cappuccino machine was your favorite gadget, do you remember if they had disposable cups with lids in the lounge? TIA!

Yes, there are disposable cups with lids in the CL.

Cruiserking - since you mentioned the cappuccino machine was your favorite gadget, do you remember if they had disposable cups with lids in the lounge? TIA!

Hello Megs193,

There was disposable cups, sugar, stirrers and milk plus sugar and Splenda too. There was also a nice variety of teas in a corner box to the left.

Enjoy!

Jonathan

OH geez.. I didn't want you to type it all in!!!! Thanks so much!

You're Welcome Laney, it was fun scouring the Cruise Compasses again, brought back so many fond memories of being aboard that glorious ship!

I'm sorry I missed all of these Drinks of the Day I will have to sample them next February aboard Grandeur. ;)

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

• 4 weeks later...
Early morning on the Royal Promenade as Explorer steams South

12775999124_5416e82111_c.jpg

Cigar Bar where Alex offered friendly and helpful bar service

12775592523_77f3c6e9af.jpg

A quiet nook of the Schooner Bar where Trivia bouts were king

12775247365_5f5cb939bb.jpg

Beverages aplenty at Windjammer, off the top of my head, Lemonade - water and Iced Tea

12775198623_4d023afb58_c.jpg

Jonathan

Will be on Explorer in December. DH will be happy about the cigar bar. Not all ships have them.

Will be on Explorer in December. DH will be happy about the cigar bar. Not all ships have them.

It's very nice to have a dedicated lounge instead of withstanding the winds out on the pool deck.

Enjoy the Explorer.

Jonathan

• 4 months later...