Reflection rocking?

melissanic124

Hi, we will be cruising on the celebrity reflection at the end of March. Recently, I've noticed quite a few reviews here, and on other sites about a lot of swaying and rocking on the ship. This was during calm seas. A couple people said they found out the stabilizers were not being used at times. This is concerning to me, as it my first cruise , and I tend to get motion sickness . Is it normal not to use stabilizers at all times?

Would appreciate anyone's feedback who has cruised on the reflection recently.

Thanks so much!

Hi, we will be cruising on the celebrity reflection at the end of March. Recently, I've noticed quite a few reviews here, and on other sites about a lot of swaying and rocking on the ship. This was during calm seas. A couple people said they found out the stabilizers were not being used at times. This is concerning to me, as it my first cruise , and I tend to get motion sickness . Is it normal not to use stabilizers at all times?

Thanks so much!

I don't believe that stabilizers are always engaged. I believe they are only used under more extreme conditions. They wouldn't be needed calm seas. Stabilizers also can do nothing about pitching of the ship.

We were on Reflection last May and yes, there was more rocking, it was a TA and my first time needing an assessible cabin so thought it was just me. I was extra cautious due to my condition, I do get sea sick and drank several ginger ales.

Definitely prepare, ginger snaps, pills and ale always works for me, I don't like to be sleepy.

Thank you all, for the replies!! Most of the reviews I read said it rocked more than other cruises they were on, and seemed strange to me since its a big ship!

I dont care about the loud music, I'm just not into the swaying and rocking of the boat, lol. I'm a sensitive motion person over here.

Just got off the reflection yesterday. Only been on three cruises, but this was the calmest one yet. I was told that they only engage the stabilizers when the seas are rougher since they cause more drag and therefore burn more fuel. Out of seven days, we felt only small movement a couple of hours on a couple of days. Most days there was no movement.

You are on water. Anything can happen. Most of the time the seas are calm. Storms happen. A storm hundreds of miles away can affect your trip. This week a rogue wave hit a ship and killed a passenger. I cruise often. Most cruises are calm. Some rock and roll...in open seas. If you do a trans Atlantic northern route, get ready for a bumpy ride. The NYC to Bermuda cruise is often bumpy. I've done it 3 times....once calm and the other 2 were like being on a thrill ride. Nobody can predict what happens. If you are prone to seasickness, book cruises in protective waters like the inside passage in Alaska. If you hate the motion of the ocean, stay on land.

Thank you for the replies! Its good to know you just got off the Reflection,and it was mostly calm. I hope you had a great cruise! I love the ocean, but do get motion sickness, hence my concern. I will hope for the best, and bring meds just in case! :)

I was on the Reflection 1/25 and felt the boat rocked a LOT compared to the last cruise I was on. I don't suffer from motion sickness but ever since I got home I am struggling with the post cruise movement thing. I asked around if this was normal because I noticed that the seas were calm... Couldn't figure it out having grown up at the beach and sailed in all kinds of weather. For me, it was so bad that I am considering trying a different ship to see if it's better... I think you should definitely bring medication if you know you suffer from motion sickness. My husband wore the patch and he was just fine!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I sailed Reflection last March. It is not that she was bumpy or rocky...more a feeling of being top-heavy and swaying in the wind is the way I would describe it. I have sailed the same route in similar weather on M class and Solstice and never had that consistent feeling the whole cruise. That being said, I did not find it problematic just a motion that I had not previously experienced. :cool:

Hi,

I just got off the February 1st sailing of the Reflection. It was a bit rocky from Miami to San Juan and then smooth sailing for the remainder of the cruise. I was on the Eclipse in 2011 and had the same issue and actually quite a bit worse.

My sister works on ships and she tells me that Miami to San Juan is almost always a bit rocky, but once you are in the Caribbean, it calms down.

Take some meds and enjoy your cruise :)

Linda

Edited by fninsn

Thank you all, for the replies!! Most of the reviews I read said it rocked more than other cruises they were on, and seemed strange to me since its a big ship!

I dont care about the loud music, I'm just not into the swaying and rocking of the boat, lol. I'm a sensitive motion person over here.

We were on Reflection last Nov when the water is a bit 'cooler' in the Carib, which made for some days with 7-10 foot swells, and the Captain handled the Ship very well. The wifester commented that it was one of the nicest sailings she has felt in 20 years. Byt as others have said, the Ship can rock an roll even in calm water!:D

I sailed Reflection last March. It is not that she was bumpy or rocky...more a feeling of being top-heavy and swaying in the wind is the way I would describe it. I have sailed the same route in similar weather on M class and Solstice and never had that consistent feeling the whole cruise. That being said, I did not find it problematic just a motion that I had not previously experienced. :cool:

Rolling is caused by low, long swells that pass perpendicular to the ship. These swells are generated by storms thousands of miles away and can occur at any time of the year, even in perfect weather and in areas where you may not have encountered them before. It has nothing to do with the stability of the ship, and everything to do with wave dynamics across the planet. All ships will be affected similarly. The ship pitching up and down without rolling is caused by similar swells, but in that case the ship is traveling directly into the swells. The worst effects occur when the ship is at a 45 degree angle to the swells. This will cause both rolling and pitching, giving a sensation that the ship is twisting over the waves.

When on the eclipse on a TA, the captain said its actually rare the extend them due to the loss of fuel efficiency. We were 10 days in to the crossing, and he said he handn't yet deployed them as the movement wasn't extreme enough to warrant it. We had a few bumpy nights, but wasn't awful. And I think the side to side was really more about wind than ocean movement.

When on the eclipse on a TA, the captain said its actually rare the extend them due to the loss of fuel efficiency. We were 10 days in to the crossing, and he said he handn't yet deployed them as the movement wasn't extreme enough to warrant it. We had a few bumpy nights, but wasn't awful. And I think the side to side was really more about wind than ocean movement.

I don't think this was due to wind, unless the wind was blowing so hard you could hardly stand on deck. I have owned several sailboats, sailed thousands of miles on them, much of it far from land and for weeks at a time. As a sailboat owner, it was my responsibility to know how the oceans work to maximize safety and efficiency. Ocean swells have an enormous amount of energy in them.

Swells are different than waves, which are the result of blowing wind catching the water surface and forcing it in the wind's direction. Swells are caused by the formation of long wavelength waves on the surface of the sea, typically from a storm many miles away. The energy transferred from the wind to the water organizes itself into swells that travel thousands of miles across the oceans. These "surface gravity" waves are not generated by the local wind, and are spaced much further apart. Think of those monster waves we often see surfers trying to ride. Some here on the West coast get to be 40 to 50 feet high. These are barely noticeable miles away from shore, but build up as the ocean bottom becomes too shallow for their mass and they build and break onto the shore. These waves are perfect examples of how much energy is held in a swell.

Swells are the biggest contributor to a large ship's movement. They may seem insignificant when seen from high up on a ship, but even a slight 2 or 3 foot tall swell can pack quite a bit of energy. When that Japanese earthquake and tsunami occurred almost three years ago, some coastal areas on the Pacific coast of the US were hit hard by what looked like an insignificant 1 ft to 2 ft high wave, causing millions of dollars in damages http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B-ACV3pPqc. A ship, with a large hull surface floating on the surface, will feel those swells more than you think.

Edited by boogs

Thanks so much!

If the weather is bad the ship will rock...