boots-Where to go & what to get??

luv2gamble

Hi everyone! My friend that is coming on the cruise with me has poor circulation in her feet and she wants to buy boots that are very warm and completely waterproof. Maybe w/goats hair or similar. Where would I be better off buying it for a good price as well as a better selection. Need them for cruise so we would have to get them in either Seattle or our 1st port Ketchikan. Its not really a popular Item in Florida LOL. Thanks all!

Hi everyone! My friend that is coming on the cruise with me has poor circulation in her feet and she wants to buy boots that are very warm and completely waterproof. Maybe w/goats hair or similar. Where would I be better off buying it for a good price as well as a better selection. Need them for cruise so we would have to get them in either Seattle or our 1st port Ketchikan. Its not really a popular Item in Florida LOL. Thanks all!

If there's nowhere local, I'd suggest buying online before the cruise. Zappos has a huge selection and is great about returns if they don't fit properly or if she just doesn't like them when she tries them on. May isn't really the season for boot shopping in Seattle - like the rest of the country, stores here will have switched to summer clothing by then.

In addition, getting them beforehand allows time for breaking them in and getting used to them. I would never want to rely on brand new shoes on vacation, blisters can make me miserable.

I don't know what activities you plan to engage in, but unless you plan on hiking, ordinary shoes are all you need. She could get some ski-weight socks for extra warmth, and that would be less expensive than boots she would probably never need elsewhere. Just a suggestion. :)

If there's nowhere local, I'd suggest buying online before the cruise. Zappos has a huge selection and is great about returns if they don't fit properly or if she just doesn't like them when she tries them on. May isn't really the season for boot shopping in Seattle - like the rest of the country, stores here will have switched to summer clothing by then.

In addition, getting them beforehand allows time for breaking them in and getting used to them. I would never want to rely on brand new shoes on vacation, blisters can make me miserable.

I don't know what activities you plan to engage in, but unless you plan on hiking, ordinary shoes are all you need. She could get some ski-weight socks for extra warmth, and that would be less expensive than boots she would probably never need elsewhere. Just a suggestion. :)

Ski-weight socks? Never heard of them but sounds good. You have a very good point about breaking them in. Only time I think we would need boots is the Helicopter dogsled in Juneau. However, I hear they provide boots for you. I have to call to find out if they provide boots or just the spikes that go under the boots. I will check out Zappos. Great ideas. Thanks

I also used Zappos. They have free shipping and free returns this allowed me to order several pairs and return the ones that I did not like. I did this twice! Think they carry smart wool socks as well. You can do an internet search for thermal whatever I found sone stuff that way... Stores like REI, Moosejaw, cabelas and Dicks carry some of this stuff as well at least in KS they do... Good Luck!

Laura

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Even in Florida I'd bet you can find REI, Dick's, Academy, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, Ski and Sun, or other sporting goods stores that carry all kinds of hiking and other boots.

Zappos is great when you have a brand/style you know feel good, but I don't like buying shoes without trying them on for feel. Yes, their return policy is great, but it's still a hassle.

We wore light waterproof Merrell hikers during our Alaska trip, and they were perfect for all conditions.

I have done the 2 cruises to Alaska and also have feet and ankle problems. What I have learned is the best choice for your friend is what is comfortable any other time of the year (besides flip flops). You will be doing a lot of walking. It is not really that cold in Alaska at that time of year but it does rain a lot.

Most people wear tennis shoes or hiking shoes but you do not see anyone but tourist wearing things like Uggs during the summer months. So have your friend wear what is most comfortable and maybe spray them down with waterproof spray if need be

I absolutely second the "good socks" recommendation. Some kind of wool blend works best for me. I live in a very cold area, and my feet stay warm in the winter if I have good wool blend socks on.

Although this will obviously not work in AK, I love to wear Birkenstocks and wear them all year round. In the winter I just wear them with good heavy weight socks. I spend good money on good socks and they are worth every penny I spend.

DON

I love CC and the posters, they always post things that are relevant and that I hadn't thought about!

Thank you so much OP for raising this question. Both my mum and I suffer with FMS which can lead to poor circulation to the extremities and although we are in the early planning stages of our Alaska cruise, we hadn't even given consideration to this sort of thing and I feel it is something best researched early.

Thank you again :)

Although this will obviously not work in AK, I love to wear Birkenstocks and wear them all year round. In the winter I just wear them with good heavy weight socks. I spend good money on good socks and they are worth every penny I spend.

DON

Even here, in the middle of winter (which includes copious amounts of snow and sub-zero temps) there are people wearing Birkies and socks :)

I wear Merrell sandals (sockless) until the snow falls. Then it is sheepskin boots with wool blend socks.

I would go for a good pair of socks, IE: Under Amour Snowboard socks. I use then here in NY when the weather or snow get a little out of hand as it has this winter.

Try doing a google search for Snowboard socks.. I see a pair listed at REI for less than $10.