Disney Tips / Tricks / Advice

CSohio

We are looking to book our first Disney cruise. Probably going to book a 5 Day Disney Wonder cruise from Miami sailing next January.

Would appreciate any tips or advice about Disney and the Wonder you might have.

I also have a few specific questions.....

1. What is the best way to book? (TA, Disney.com, Internet TA)

2. Is there such a thing as coupons/discounts with Disney Cruises?

3. Does Disney offer group pricing? If so, what constitutes a group?

4. If the cabin pricing does down after making a reservation, can you get your reservation repriced?

5. After making our reservation, are there any reservation musts...Like booking on board activities, dining reservations, etc.

Thanks for your help.

We are looking to book our first Disney cruise. Probably going to book a 5 Day Disney Wonder cruise from Miami sailing next January.

1. What is the best way to book? (TA, Disney.com, Internet TA) The price to you will be the same, regardless of you book with a TA or directly with DCL. TAs often offer perks (out of their commission) if you use them to book your cruise.

2. Is there such a thing as coupons/discounts with Disney Cruises? DCL occasionally offers Florida/Canada resident and military discounts. They also offer last minute restricted fares. All of these are typically offered on cruises that aren't selling well, so, generally within 60 days of cruise.

3. Does Disney offer group pricing? If so, what constitutes a group? I believe they do, but don't know the specifics.

4. If the cabin pricing does down after making a reservation, can you get your reservation repriced? If the price goes down prior to your final payment day, it's possible to get Onboard Credit, or, possibly, a room upgrade to cover the difference.

5. After making our reservation, are there any reservation musts...Like booking on board activities, dining reservations, etc. If you want a specific time/excursion, you should book them as soon as your booking window opens (75 days out for first time cruisers).

Thanks for your help.

My responses in red.

1. A GOOD TA who specializes in DCL is worth his/her weight in gold. I love my TA. But a bad TA is a big headache. SO, imho the best way to book is with a great TA who communicates YOUR way (800 number, e-mail, snail mail, whatever you want). What you do not want is an agent/agency who just punches the same computer buttons you could do on your own. You want service! Many agencies offer a "thanks for booking with us" perk of an onboard credit, shopping card, etc as a bonus. BUT NO perk makes up for lack of service!

Booking directly thru DCL just leaves money on the table and gets you nothing extra.

2.There are sometimes discounts offered near the sailing date on cruises that are not full. These are *GT rates as well as things like FL resident discounts. IF you can be flexible on dates, you can get a good deal SOMETIMES. If you want a particular cruise date or ship, booking as early as possible is your best deal. You can also get onboard credits for things like using your Disney Visa for all payments.

3.Yes--$50 per cabin off. A "group" is at least 8 cabins. There is a special group desk for booking and making arrangements for your group.

4. If the pricing drops after you book but before the penalty date, you can get the lower rate (we have done it at least twice). However....in recent years the drops have not occurred till after the penalty date. At that time you need to determine whether it is better to accept the penalty and get the better deal or to keep what you have.

5. Yes...as a first timer not in concierge, you can make reservations for adult dining, excursions, spa, etc. at 75 days before embarkation. If you don't get what you want on line, you can often get it after boarding. "Must do?" NO. Some people consider Palo/Remy (adult dining) to be a must, but you can have a great cruise without any!

4. If the cabin pricing does down after making a reservation, can you get your reservation repriced?

5. After making our reservation, are there any reservation musts...Like booking on board activities, dining reservations, etc.

Thanks for your help.

I think TA is best as you get great service, advice, and a rebate on commission by on board credits, no hassle hanging on to phones to reservations or online kicking you out.

No coupons no PIN codes, late booking rates.

Yes call DCL or ask a TA.

Yes again a reason to use a TA they will tell you once past your paid in full date you can't get a refund unless cancel and loose the penalty.

Book Palo and shore trips at your booking window look at navigators for previous cruises the ship newspsper

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1. A GOOD TA who specializes in DCL is worth his/her weight in gold. I love my TA. But a bad TA is a big headache. SO' date=' imho the best way to book is with a great TA who communicates YOUR way (800 number, e-mail, snail mail, whatever you want). What you do not want is an agent/agency who just punches the same computer buttons you could do on your own. You want service! Many agencies offer a "thanks for booking with us" perk of an onboard credit, shopping card, etc as a bonus. BUT NO perk makes up for lack of service!

Booking directly thru DCL just leaves money on the table and gets you nothing extra.

2.There are sometimes discounts offered near the sailing date on cruises that are not full. These are *GT rates as well as things like FL resident discounts. IF you can be flexible on dates, you can get a good deal SOMETIMES. If you want a particular cruise date or ship, booking as early as possible is your best deal. You can also get onboard credits for things like using your Disney Visa for all payments.

3.Yes--$50 per cabin off. A "group" is at least 8 cabins. There is a special group desk for booking and making arrangements for your group.

4. If the pricing drops after you book but before the penalty date, you can get the lower rate (we have done it at least twice). However....in recent years the drops have not occurred till after the penalty date. At that time you need to determine whether it is better to accept the penalty and get the better deal or to keep what you have.

5. Yes...as a first timer not in concierge, you can make reservations for adult dining, excursions, spa, etc. at 75 days before embarkation. If you don't get what you want on line, you can often get it after boarding. "Must do?" NO. Some people consider Palo/Remy (adult dining) to be a must, but you can have a great cruise without any![/quote']

Agree with all (1) fully agree, don't post that on the other forum, you get a telling off for telling the truth, - if they see this they will tell us both off!

My TA is on the phone, they can call me and also email and Facebook. Free phone number

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by DISNEY FANTASY

Agree with all (1) fully agree, don't post that on the other forum, you get a telling off for telling the truth, - if they see this they will tell us both off!

My TA is on the phone, they can call me and also email and Facebook. Free phone number

Some travel agents who own other chat sites can't tolerate anything negative being said about them or anything positive about their competition. They don't understand that "there's always room at the top." There are good agents and agencies out there...and some really rotten apples. Shop carefully.

Some travel agents who own other chat sites can't tolerate anything negative being said about them or anything positive about their competition. They don't understand that "there's always room at the top." There are good agents and agencies out there...and some really rotten apples. Shop carefully.

Well the USA is based in free speech but some people do not agree with that' date='

Recent thread was about if to use a TA or book direct.

[i']My answer:- use a TA,[/i]

Another poster:- I used an TA who can only be contacted by E Mail and over the weekend there closed so I lost an available upgrade deal.

My answer:- if your TA is only available by email and not weekend, change your TA.

Got a warning for that!

Honest answer is not allowed!

Then other people post, " never heard anything negative about them!"

Edited by DISNEY FANTASY

Well the USA is based in free speech but some people do not agree with that,

Recent thread was about if to use a TA or book direct.

My answer:- use a TA,

Another poster:- I used an TA who can only be contacted by E Mail and over the weekend there closed so I lost an available upgrade deal.

My answer:- if your TA is only available by email and not weekend, change your TA.

Got a warning for that!

Honest answer is not allowed!

Then other people post, " never heard anything negative about them!"

I guess this isn't the place to discuss other sites. However, I'm with you on agents/agencies.

I have a short list of requirements for agencies

1. Open more than 9-5. OK, no one is going to be open 24/7, but I like "extended hours" with at least some availability on weekends and evenings.

2. Agents have cruised personally within the last few years (you can't consider yourself and expert in a product that you haven't experienced).

3. COMMUNICATION ( and my way). 800 numbers are sometimes a lot more reasonable than hoping someone got your e-mail.

4. Full service agency--they will help with air, hotel, transfers, etc. IF I WISH. And they can offer more than just punching the DCL buttons on their computers.

5. Availability--DO NOT send me a mass e-mail that you are going to WDW for a long weekend and asking me to not contact you during that time. I do realize that the agent who did my booking may not be available, but someone in the office needs to be available to help me.

6. Experienced agents, long time with this agency.

Things I've learned to love:

Agents not on commission so every agent in the office considers themselves MY agent.

Nice OBC as a "thanks for booking." But this is NOT the reason to use an agent or agency....

Correct information--if I know more than the agent, there is a problem.

Know what's funny? I've never met the agents I normally use in person; I know them just on the phone. I've met with local agents and been so unimpressed that I didn't book with them!

I guess this isn't the place to discuss other sites. However' date=' I'm with you on agents/agencies.

I have a short list of requirements for agencies

1. Open more than 9-5. OK, no one is going to be open 24/7, but I like "extended hours" with at least some availability on weekends and evenings.

2. Agents have cruised personally within the last few years (you can't consider yourself and expert in a product that you haven't experienced).

3. COMMUNICATION ( and my way). 800 numbers are sometimes a lot more reasonable than hoping someone got your e-mail.

4. Full service agency--they will help with air, hotel, transfers, etc. IF I WISH. And they can offer more than just punching the DCL buttons on their computers.

5. Availability--DO NOT send me a mass e-mail that you are going to WDW for a long weekend and asking me to not contact you during that time. I do realize that the agent who did my booking may not be available, but someone in the office needs to be available to help me.

6. Experienced agents, long time with this agency.

Things I've learned to love:

Agents not on commission so every agent in the office considers themselves MY agent.

Nice OBC as a "thanks for booking." But this is NOT the reason to use an agent or agency....

Correct information--if I know more than the agent, there is a problem.

Know what's funny? I've never met the agents I normally use in person; I know them just on the phone. I've met with local agents and been so unimpressed that I didn't book with them![/quote']

Agree....

My current TA became aware of me from forums and came around and introduced himself to me on two cruises (1) was a hello and we want your business, my answer I am happy and loyal, he kept in touch, (2) said understood I am loyal but could he get me a quote on release day, time wise he beat the other agency on location and time for quote, but I still stayed loyal, then they upset me shook all my bookings to my current TA, who keeps in touch, and actually he posts my thoughts on rumours, to his clients, and says nice words and when cruises are released they call me at home in my local time, so they want my business, the other co never ever once said they wanted my business and presumed I would stick with them and were shocked when I moved.

This was the last mailing...

One of our Guests from the UK, Andrew Xxxxx is and avid DCL fan and is generally spot-on when it comes to predictions on upcoming itineraries. Below are his guesses on DCL's yet to be announced itineraries for the remainder of 2015.

"Magic Summer, Baltic (June July) and Med 7 night cruises ( Mid to Late August, ) also Winter Southern Caribbean Cruises from San Juan, - some at school holiday time.

Wonder Alaska 7 and 9 nights, with Hawaii in September.

Of course Fantasy now has Tortola, and think a second ship Wonder or Magic may go there as well or Fantasy only does Easterns in Winter. IMHO no New York, Question? DCL doesn't need to keep Dream at Port Canaveral but can't see 3/4 nights dropped so might just stay there, I think there is a surprise in there as well something new, not just repos from Baltic to Barcelona. Mention of Amsterdam, going further than before and better ports or slots than before winning ports of other lines, I think they may be out within two weeks, maybe next or following Tuesday.

Wonder big dry dock 2016 in Cadiz or Vancouver. With Baltic I have heard three separate rumors , Dover or Harwich 12 nights, or 7 nights from Copenhagen, could mean 14 night repo Copenhagen to Barcelona. But one said Far East Med, Anyway either a lot of rumors or someone is having a laugh and spreading lots of false ones. Don't take this as firm these are rumors only! We shall see!"

Surely others have ideas. Care to weigh in?

Edited by DISNEY FANTASY

Yes, I've met the owner of the agency I use (while on board--again, he made a point of finding me at dinner and introducing himself). But I've never met the agents that I deal with on a cruise-to-cruise basis. I'd actually met him years before when he had the Walt suite and issued a "if you want to see the suite, come up for a glass of wine" to a bunch of us.

I also love getting FB and e-mail notices of any good offers, updates, etc.

As to predictions...not sure what I gain by guessing. Yes, the WOnder will have a big dry dock as soon as the Canal is finished. They won't be stupid enough to strand her on the West coast and none of the other ships can do the canal at this point. Beyond that...lots of possibilities. We found a cruise to Japan on another line that looks quite interesting.

Yes' date=' I've met the owner of the agency I use (while on board--again, he made a point of finding me at dinner and introducing himself). But I've never met the agents that I deal with on a cruise-to-cruise basis. I'd actually met him years before when he had the Walt suite and issued a "if you want to see the suite, come up for a glass of wine" to a bunch of us.

I also love getting FB and e-mail notices of any good offers, updates, etc.

As to predictions...not sure what I gain by guessing. Yes, the WOnder will have a big dry dock as soon as the Canal is finished. They won't be stupid enough to strand her on the West coast and none of the other ships can do the canal at this point. Beyond that...lots of possibilities. We found a cruise to Japan on another line that looks quite interesting.[/quote']

I think we have the same. TA

• 7 months later...