Purchasing Cabin Upgrade. What's your experience and when to check?

lwrandall

I'm cruising on the Getaway April 19 in a Outside Cabin(OB). Prices have dropped $100 since I did my final payment:(...oh well. Ship may not be selling as fast as they hoped. So as the time gets closer I will start checking the NCL site for cabin availability. I would like a balcony cabin but I didn't want to pay the price they were charging when I booked. I've read posts from other CC members who purchased cabin upgrades for very good prices. What's been your experience as to timing and prices? If I can't do it I will be just as excited about the trip. I really need to thaw out from this winter.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Normally you can get the better price and upgrade all the way up to your final payment. If you have already passed that, then contact your TA and see if you can upgrade at a better price - we do this all the time. They have even upgraded us for free if it is only a few days from sailing and the cabins haven't sold as expected. Doesn't hurt to ask - that is free:)

Normally you can get the better price and upgrade all the way up to your final payment. If you have already passed that, then contact your TA and see if you can upgrade at a better price - we do this all the time. They have even upgraded us for free if it is only a few days from sailing and the cabins haven't sold as expected. Doesn't hurt to ask - that is free:)

You still have lots of time, I would wait to see if price drops some more giving you more negotiating power and also keep an eye on the amt. of balcony cabins are still listed, look by cat.

You still have lots of time, I would wait to see if price drops some more giving you more negotiating power and also keep an eye on the amt. of balcony cabins are still listed, look by cat.

How do you see how many cabins/balconies have been sold?

I'm cruising on the Getaway April 19 in a Outside Cabin(OB). Prices have dropped $100 since I did my final payment:(...oh well. Ship may not be selling as fast as they hoped. So as the time gets closer I will start checking the NCL site for cabin availability. I would like a balcony cabin but I didn't want to pay the price they were charging when I booked. I've read posts from other CC members who purchased cabin upgrades for very good prices. What's been your experience as to timing and prices? If I can't do it I will be just as excited about the trip. I really need to thaw out from this winter.

I am on this same sailing. I booked Balcony w/ free minisuite upgrade. Price fell yesterday to $240 below (total for 2 passengers) what I paid, plus the OBC is $40 more than what I got.

I called yesterday and although they couldn't give my any additional OBC, they offered me a free upgrade. Unfortunately I did not like the cabin location of what they wanted to change me to, so I kept what I have already.

I would call now before all balconies may be sold. Seems like they are willing to upgrade now.

Edited by DISNEY1975

How do you see how many cabins/balconies have been sold?

You can't. That is critical business information that the companies do not publish.

One can make guesses by making mock bookings and looking which cabins are available but it doesn't mean that there wouldn't be others that are just not displayed (f.ex. NCL's site shows max 15 available cabins in each category).

Go into website and check all your category so if you booked balcony then check all balcony cat. Time consuming but sometimes worth the effort.

This will give you a general feeling, and WAG. If only two are available, then they are about gone. If 15 are available (or whatever the normal number), then there probably are more, but nobody knows how many.

As to upgrades... here is one TRUE FACT. If the category you are looking for is sold out, you can not get it, at any price.

Between 5 and 15 days before sailing .