Walkie talkies on Princess ships?

Kinkacruiser

There are ways to leave messages for others while onboard. The three of us utilized a pad of paper I brought: either left messages on the desk as to where each of us was going, or even tape a note on the cabin door (sometimes we would have a running note going among hubby, the teen and I). You can also call your in-cabin phone (or another one) and leave a message -- there's phones all over the ship.

And even when we were looking for each other, we would spot one of the others in the Horizon or wherever. I was at the pool area watching a movie on MUTS one morning, and felt a tap on my head -- my girl and her friends were passing by so she gave me a greeting.

So just let each other know what you might be doing during the day while looking at the Patters, and also use messages that won't grate on the other passengers.

We don't have the problem of communicating while off the ship because the three of us stick together while in port. I'm the one with the cell phone (programmed with taxi companies for each port) and with the Patters so the girl and hubby aren't about to lose sight of me.

My family took them on a cruise on the Sapphire once. We found them to be basically useless. Unless you're spending a ton of money on a very powerful set, once you're inside, there's no reception at all. On the bright side, we now have a nice set of walkie-talkies at our house that we never use.

Princess allows the use of ham radios on board, but with restrictions. The radio can only be used in your cabin. It can only transmit at 20w PEP or below. Antennas can not be attached to any part of the ship. They do not allow wire antennas. Antennas can not protrude from the ship or be higher than 5ft.

To get permission to use the radio you first must get a Class Three Permit from Bermuda since the ships are registered in Bermuda. You must fax a copy of the Bermudian Permit, your US license, signed document from Princess stating you understand the restrictions, and the technical data sheet of your radio and frequencies you plan to use. Princess will then ask the ship captain if he will allow the radio's use. If he approves, Princess will send you an email telling you the captain has granted your request.

When you board your ship, you should take a copy of the documents you faxed plus the email from the captain giving you permission to the pursers desk and ask for the electronics officer. You can not use the radio until he gives his OK. He will probably want to come to your cabin and expect your radio equipment.

You may use your ham radio equipment on shore, but be sure to check the requirements for foreigner amateur radio operations. Many European countries have reciprocal licensing with the US.

Roger, N7BU

Thank you! Working in my General License.