Internet on the Dream?

gweedo

I have been unable to search for info on the quality of the internet connection on the Dream. Is it fast/slow, ship wide etc.? We will be sailing the Dream this May and my son is one of those that can't be away from his business without checking in. ( a little background-he deals with Emergency equipment/radios and when they have a problem they have to be looked at pretty quick. It took some doing to get him away from home for a short cruise!! LOL) Thanks for any info you may able to give me so I may pass it on!!:)

Bluntly, the internet on the ships stinks. It is slow and expensive.

Alternatives....there is free/cheap and decent internet in Nassau. On board, an option in an emergency is cellular at sea. This service costs $2.49 per minute in addition to any charges from your carrier. But it does work, which is more than can be said for the internet at times.

In 2012 we run for devices of it on the fantasy and all where fast, Fantasy is a Dreams sister ship, the Wonder we used in 2013 and again was fast and we got through five top Internet packages and if you look at my blogs I posted photos up to ten at a time live.

The Internet Gets a bad wrap but things change technology improves so recent experience is best, things were slow a few years back, on the Magic it was poor but Fantasy and Wonder were up to close go my none fibre network speeds. I suspect Dream is the same.

So if anyone says it's bad do ask them when and where they last used it, I have told you exactly when we used it!

Thank you both for your replies.:) I imagine it is also dependent on what you are used to. My son found the Wonder's internet(and that was 4 years ago) to be slower than what he was used to but it kept him connected. My DH also likes to use his computer when we cruise- I like to walk and watch people!! LOL Disney Fantasy-I will be checking your blogs. Thank you

Thank you both for your replies.:) I imagine it is also dependent on what you are used to. My son found the Wonder's internet(and that was 4 years ago) to be slower than what he was used to but it kept him connected. My DH also likes to use his computer when we cruise- I like to walk and watch people!! LOL Disney Fantasy-I will be checking your blogs. Thank you

Yes we didn't have any issue on the last three cruises, my kids were on theirs all day, no change there, I was on mine, only one slow down on Tracy arm day and they told us about that in advance, technology is upgraded all the time they want to sell it so it's not as dark ages as som would make out.

My most recent experience was on the Fantasy in 2013 where I sat while a friend tried for 45 minutes to do an airline check in. There is a reason that I had someone back home doing mine! I honestly can't say if it was the fault of the airline's system of the ship's system, but she kept getting locked up and kicked off.

On a related question--does anyone know how the new charging system compares to the old system (they now charge by amount of data, not by time).

Sometimes it's what your using, the settings you have and WiFi channels.

Now without advertising brands too much, IPads, IPhones worked well. They seem to "talk" correctly with the WiFi connections. Now if your settings are wrong or say someone near you is using the channel of WiFi your using you can have problems.

On laptops there is an order in your Internet settings of connections to try, if it's not set correctly the Laptop will not work.

It's worth reading DCLs instructions on different browsers and devices.

My blog speaks for it self, If I can keep uploading circa ten photos in a post and keep repeating it then the connection must be good!

But on the new charges we will be worse off and photos will take up lots of data do their increasing prices and trying to cut the data a type of congestion charge.

Edited by DISNEY FANTASY

May I through an idea out there?

Those in the Royal Suites obviously receive complementary time on the internet and receive a specific log in code for this.

Those not up there may have their connection "choked" by the I.T department to keep the speed reasonable to the capabilities of the ship's comms. (i.e Bandwidth restricted)

I do know the crew areas are, even when most Guests are sleeping and they cannot achieve anywhere near a fibre type speed.

Those staying in "upper class" may not get "choked".

Just an idea, thrown around....

ex techie

Thanks for the info on data charging...unfortunately it is what I expected. I couldn't imagine that DCL would do something that would make it more cost effective for guests.

Think of a water tap, in a bathroom, are you charged for the time you open it for water or the flow through it.

You can pour water slowly or open it full and take far more water.

It would seem to be fair to charge for the water used not the time the tsp is open.

The Internet is the same you may have a connection but it's how much data you use, uploading or downloading photos, or say downloading movies or shows is taking lots of data, a new device can eat it up. Quickly, not just what you select but if you subscribe regularly to certain information say local news this still will be downloaded by your tablet even if you do not ask for it, you have to turn roaming off, a simple email doesn't use a lot of data so actually your using little data and you might not notice a lot, but if your uploading your cruise photos to Facebook every dsy you will notice it.

Also visiting a forum like this on the ship and seeing people's photos, say cruise countdowns in signatures will eat lots of data,

We just came back from a cruise on the Magic and we were happy with the price and speed of the internet. There was a special for 1GB of data for $29 and 300 MB of sat was $15.

We used it for uploading photos to Facebook, checking email and following the Olympics. It was a tad slow on the first night but no issues at all after that. I also loved that you can log on with multiple devices on the same plan. We ended up not even using the full 300 Mb and were o it a lot.

We just did the Bahamas itinerary so I'm not sure if that's why the coverage was good since we were so close to the US for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sometimes it's what your using, the settings you have and WiFi channels.

Now without advertising brands too much, IPads, IPhones worked well. They seem to "talk" correctly with the WiFi connections. Now if your settings are wrong or say someone near you is using the channel of WiFi your using you can have problems.

On laptops there is an order in your Internet settings of connections to try, if it's not set correctly the Laptop will not work.

It's worth reading DCLs instructions on different browsers and devices.

My blog speaks for it self, If I can keep uploading circa ten photos in a post and keep repeating it then the connection must be good!

But on the new charges we will be worse off and photos will take up lots of data do their increasing prices and trying to cut the data a type of congestion charge.

Just wondered if anyone has ever been able to facetime from the ship,as we are taking our grandchildren on the dream in May and I am sure their parents would love to be able to see the kids on facetime.We sailed last year on Oceania and did facetime every day . just wondered how it worked on Disney Cruise line .

• 2 weeks later...
curious how much the internet package is for a 5-day cruise.

Internet rates recently changed:

Over the next few weeks, new internet packages will be available onboard the Disney Cruise Line ships. Instead of charging by minutes used, the new Connect@Sea packages are based on the amount of megabytes (MB) used.

Your Clients can choose from the following package options:

"Pay As You Go ($.25 per MB): Perfect for Guests who are not sure how often they will be online.

"Small (100 per MB for $19): A good choice for Guests who want to check their email occasionally and then go back to enjoying their cruise.

"Medium (300 per MB for $39): Ideal for Guests that want to share their vacation photos with friends right away.

"Large (1,000 per MB for $89): This package covers all Internet needs. Guests can stream movies or their favorite music.

Connect@Sea services will be introduced onboard the Disney Cruise Line ships on the following sail dates:

"Disney Magic - Feb. 3, 2014

"Disney Dream - Feb. 16, 2014

"Disney Wonder - Feb. 26, 2014

"Disney Fantasy - March 8, 2014

Detailed information about the Connect@Sea options will be available in each Guest stateroom, at onboard internet cafes and at Guest Services.

Edited by Shmoo here

Internet rates recently changed:

Over the next few weeks, new internet packages will be available onboard the Disney Cruise Line ships. Instead of charging by minutes used, the new Connect@Sea packages are based on the amount of megabytes (MB) used.

Your Clients can choose from the following package options:

"Pay As You Go ($.25 per MB): Perfect for Guests who are not sure how often they will be online.

"Small (100 per MB for $19): A good choice for Guests who want to check their email occasionally and then go back to enjoying their cruise.

"Medium (300 per MB for $39): Ideal for Guests that want to share their vacation photos with friends right away.

"Large (1,000 per MB for $89): This package covers all Internet needs. Guests can stream movies or their favorite music.

Connect@Sea services will be introduced onboard the Disney Cruise Line ships on the following sail dates:

"Disney Magic - Feb. 3, 2014

"Disney Dream - Feb. 16, 2014

"Disney Wonder - Feb. 26, 2014

"Disney Fantasy - March 8, 2014

Detailed information about the Connect@Sea options will be available in each Guest stateroom, at onboard internet cafes and at Guest Services.

awesome. thank you.

Underway on the Dream now, $29 for 1GB. Speed is reasonable, just don't try to stream video and is does ok. Facebook updates are ok, and a little sopping on eBay. This is a 4 day cruise and we've used about a third of the data package with a sea day to go.

Underway on the Dream now, $29 for 1GB. Speed is reasonable, just don't try to stream video and is does ok. Facebook updates are ok, and a little sopping on eBay. This is a 4 day cruise and we've used about a third of the data package with a sea day to go.

Great confirms my reports.

This is a 4 day cruise, and at 3pm on a sea day on Dream, still have half of my 1gb package. The cost is $29.99 where I used to burn $100 to $150 for internet on a 7 day cruise.

There is a flyer in the stateroom desk drawer. You know where the postcards and letter writing things are? Explains the pricing and such. I've had good access in my SR 10th deck, pool and theatre during the meetings. I'm guessing the speed is about .5 to 1mps. I was able to log into the secure server from work no problems.

Also, if you have a smart phone, download the Disney Cruise Line APP. You can get menus, shopping and show times carried with you everywhere you go.

You have to turn on airplane mode, then turn on wifi and log into DCL Guest, and then launch the app. This is really, really slick.

Disney did a great job with the new internet package. I have to have access for work, and this is less than a third of what it used to cost me.

This is a 4 day cruise, and at 3pm on a sea day on Dream, still have half of my 1gb package. The cost is $29.99 where I used to burn $100 to $150 for internet on a 7 day cruise.

There is a flyer in the stateroom desk drawer. You know where the postcards and letter writing things are? Explains the pricing and such. I've had good access in my SR 10th deck, pool and theatre during the meetings. I'm guessing the speed is about .5 to 1mps. I was able to log into the secure server from work no problems.

Also, if you have a smart phone, download the Disney Cruise Line APP. You can get menus, shopping and show times carried with you everywhere you go.

You have to turn on airplane mode, then turn on wifi and log into DCL Guest, and then launch the app. This is really, really slick.

Disney did a great job with the new internet package. I have to have access for work, and this is less than a third of what it used to cost me.

But unless I'm missing something, the $29 for one gig is a special. The posted price for this is $89! Glad it is all working out for you.