Question for Arkansas cruisers using RC

CruzieSue

Fellow Arkansans ... do you use a travel agent here in Arkansas when booking your cruises or over the phone with Royal Caribbean's certified vacation planners, and why (savings, perks, etc.)

I won our first cruise and the details were handled via phone and email. Second cruise I did everything over the phone with RC's planners and it was a breeze. Just wondering if you prefer to go through a travel agent for any particular reason. Planning a cruise for 2015. Thanks for your helpful input! :)

We book directly with RCCL using online booking. Once we get our booking number we transfer it to our favorite TA for some generous OBC. Our TA is located in New Mexico.

mgoecke AT live.com

Edited by Hypo

I book directly with RCI mainly because I like to have control over my reservation. I'm retired and check the computer for cruises and prices at least one time a day. I've also done enough cruises that I'm very comfortable with the process. I have a friend, also in AR, that uses a large internet agency and gets really good deals. We can't list specific agencies on CC. If you use a local agent, find one that specializes in cruises. They can be helpful. Happy cruising:)

We book directly with RCCL using online booking. Once we get our booking number we transfer it to our favorite TA for some generous OBC. Our TA is located in New Mexico.

mgoecke AT live.com

What does your TA get out of this arrangement?

We have a wonderful TA. She will match any price and extras that we find anywhere else. You can get numerous things with a TA and if you get a good one they are great to have. We have always gotten OBC with ours and other things. She is always available when I have a question or if there is a price drop. We have had her for several years and just love her.

If you don't mind telling me, where do you live? We live in Hope.

What does your TA get out of this arrangement?

She still gets a commission in accordance with their contract with RCCL. Her agency just gives back about 10% of the comissionable fare as OBC.

We have a wonderful TA. She will match any price and extras that we find anywhere else. You can get numerous things with a TA and if you get a good one they are great to have. We have always gotten OBC with ours and other things. She is always available when I have a question or if there is a price drop. We have had her for several years and just love her.

If you don't mind telling me, where do you live? We live in Hope.

Russellville

I've always booked directly with Royal. Actually, the last cruise I took and the next one coming up later this year, both were booked while on board the current cruise.

Like others have mentioned, I like having control over the reservation and not having to go through someone else for price drops, upgrades, etc...

One of the reasons I've started booking on board, is the $100 OBC. I know some travel agents may offer more OBC (I'm not sure how they can do that and still make commission!) but I'm happy with the $100 and owning my reservation.

My two cents...from Central Arkansas

Thank you, Hypo but I was really asking CruzieSue since she is from South Arkansas.

We're from Camden :)

So sounds like TA's don't really help with the cost of staterooms, just OBCs, dining or spa maybe, which we really don't care much about. I would mainly be interested in a TA if they could get significant savings on the room costs. Will probably continue to go directly through RC - it was so easy and everyone was so helpful and informative. Also the peace of mind just knowing there is no middle man (or woman LOL) to have to depend upon. I, too, like being in control ;)

Thanks for all your input !!

Edited by CruzieSue

Well I live in Colorado and use a TA in Florida. The only way a TA can give you a lower price than the cruise line is if they have reserved a block of rooms at a group rate. Many travel agents will give back part of their commission as OBC, prepaid gratuities, paid dining packages, etc.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Forums mobile app

One of the main reasons I use a TA is because I really don't like spending a lot of time on the phone waiting. It seems that when people call RCI with a question or a price drop there is always a long wait. I don't have to deal with that. My TA is always there or gets right back to me.

I am a control freak on most things but I feel a TA (at least if you get a good one) is so much better and on top of the you get the extra perks.

It is a personal decision as to what you want. That's why there are choices.