Getaway Shows and more!

DISNEY1975

I guess it all depends on how you want to interpret Freestyle. To me, Freestyle gives me options and freedom to do as I please - within reason. It doesn't mean that every dining room is open 24/7. It doesn't mean that every show is able to accommodate 4000 passengers at every sitting. Clearly, that would be impossible. Freestyle (again, to me) means that I can pick and choose what I want to do - that means reserving some shows but playing others by ear. Setting priorities for what I want to do on vacation is not a big deal to me. If there's something I know now that I want to do, I book it. If not, I wait. To others, it means the freedom to not reserve anything and that's fine, too. You can still have a perfectly good time without reserving a single restaurant or show.

In short, that's the beauty of Freestyle. Having the option to reserve doesn't detract from that.

I'm not talking about restaurants or actual performance shows, so please don't generalize my comment. My point is that the things being addressed are bars. Howl at the Moon happens in a bar, just like it does in cities across the USA. I might wander in and watch, and wander out, then come back in a bit. It doesn't seem like a reservation-type thing. I'd feel bad if someone was turned away because I had booked a table for a specific time, when there is no way of knowing how long anyone plans to stay at something like that. That's all. Just my opinion. I plan to wander by, and if it's busy, I'll check again later. If I don't make it during the cruise, I'll be disappointed, but then I'll hit our local establish shortly after my return so no big deal. Just making a point. You mentioned "4000 people at every sitting". My point is that a bar with live entertainment doesn't have a "sitting." They might as well take reservations to watch the band by the pool then. Same thing.

Edited by LrgPizza

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Howl needs a reservation. It was first come first served seating or SRO on the Epic. And I thought Grammy was the same as the Jazz Club on Epic as well, no reservations needed. The Comedy Club will probably require a res, same as Second City on Epic.

You could definitely reserve Howl on the Breakaway. I'm not 100% certain about the others.

If you pay for the premium seating at Illusionarium do you still need to arrive early? I have read on other posts that people recommend you arrive 45min to an hour early to "get good seats."

Yes, if you want first pick of the premium seating. Otherwise you will take what is left. You may prefer a table closer to or further away from the action. On Epic we wanted to make sure we got balcony seating, so we were there early.

I am sailing March 1 and was charged $39 for standard tickets for Illusionarium. Just pulled it up again and shows $39 for standard tickets, does not and has never shown anything about premium tickets.

I booked 45 days out for our upcoming cruise in Feb. There was only one ticket price listed, $39. No option for Premium or Standard. I assume $39 is for premium seating. If not, you could always change the tickets to premium on board, but if $39 is standard, I don't know if I'd want to pay the premium fee!

I'm not talking about restaurants or actual performance shows, so please don't generalize my comment. My point is that the things being addressed are bars. Howl at the Moon happens in a bar, just like it does in cities across the USA. I might wander in and watch, and wander out, then come back in a bit. It doesn't seem like a reservation-type thing. I'd feel bad if someone was turned away because I had booked a table for a specific time, when there is no way of knowing how long anyone plans to stay at something like that. That's all. Just my opinion. I plan to wander by, and if it's busy, I'll check again later. If I don't make it during the cruise, I'll be disappointed, but then I'll hit our local establish shortly after my return so no big deal. Just making a point. You mentioned "4000 people at every sitting". My point is that a bar with live entertainment doesn't have a "sitting." They might as well take reservations to watch the band by the pool then. Same thing.

I think we're actually on the same page. You can play things by ear as you like. I can reserve if I choose to do so (if it's available) or play it by ear. That's all I was saying about Freestyle - it's all about options.

I think we're actually on the same page. You can play things by ear as you like. I can reserve if I choose to do so (if it's available) or play it by ear. That's all I was saying about Freestyle - it's all about options.

Yep, I agree. It's the wonderful downside of a giant ship - I might end up needing a spreadsheet and a wrist timer alarm to keep track of the reservations and scheduled things I want to see and do. :)

You could definitely reserve Howl on the Breakaway. I'm not 100% certain about the others.

Interesting. We just walked into Howl on Epic. The only shows available for reservations on our Getaway sailing were Legally Blonde, Illusionarium, Burn the Floor and the Wine Lovers musical lunch. Looks like they are still tweaking the show schedules, so maybe that's why others are not listed for pre booking.

Edited by punkincc

Interesting. We just walked into Howl on Epic. The only shows available for reservations on our Getaway sailing were Legally Blonde, Illusionarium, Burn the Floor and the Wine Lovers musical lunch. Looks like they are still tweaking the show schedules, so maybe that's why others are not listed for pre booking.

Don't get me wrong. Even though you could reserve Howl, that doesn't mean you couldn't just wander in. Reserving just gave you first dibs on seating. I suppose if you happened to pick a particularly popular time, you might get shut out (at the very start of the show) but that definitely wasn't the case when I was there.

I also had $39 written down on my cruise budget planning spreadsheet. Hmmmm....

I was on the 2/8 sailing and had also paid $39.00. I went to the box office to ask about the price change and was informed that the difference in price of $9.01 would show on my account as an onboard credit. It showed up the next day.

Yep, I agree. It's the wonderful downside of a giant ship - I might end up needing a spreadsheet and a wrist timer alarm to keep track of the reservations and scheduled things I want to see and do. :)

LOL that would be funny! Last week we walked into Howl and the Grammy Experience when we felt like it and it totally worked out. We had made some show & dinner reservations on beforehand (to help somewhat organize ourselves).

I felt 'all that and a bag of chips', because on my first NCL cruise I felt like a "lost puppy". Coming from the more rigid early or late seating (with corresponding show schedule) cruises, the whole "freestyle thing" was - ironically - overwhelming. Now, only on my second NCL cruise, I LOVE it and am hooked!

I guess the nice part is that everyone can tailor an NCL cruise to *their* individual needs: plan it all out, be super spontaneous or mix it up a little :) .

Edited by dtchgrl618

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Jenjer']There is a comedy show right? like second city?

Thanks[/quote]

Yes, there are comdey shows, no they are not like Second City. They are stand up comedians as opposed to the improv skits that Second City does.

[quote name='Jenjer']Someone must have the show schedual.....help a planner out please[/quote]

[URL="http://www.shipdetective.com/ships/pdf/norwegian_getaway_handouts/getaway_dailies.htm"]Here are Getaway dailies someone previously posted.[/URL] There have also been more recent ones posted, but I'm not going to search for you.

Just an FYI I sail in 3 days, and today on ncl.com I was able to book the comedy show but not Illusionarium. Weird how different things seem to show up to be able to book on different days.

I have a question, I didn't book the comedy club because I don't know when I want to go, does anyone know if you can just walk up and go one night? Do they accept stand by?