Formal Nights???

teachtocruis

no formal nights on NCL. The only time you need to dress nicer than shorts is the aft MDR (less casual) and LeBistro in the evenings. Decent jeans are allowed anywhere, any time.

NCL does have a night they call "dress up or not night" or "norwegian's night out" where they have photographers around the ship and people tend to dress nicer, but it's not required.

While some folks love to dress up, the lack of requirement to do so is one of my favorite things about NCL. Allows me to pack as light as possible (no jackets, ties, dress shoes, etc.)

no formal nights on NCL. The only time you need to dress nicer than shorts is the aft MDR (less casual) and LeBistro in the evenings. Decent jeans are allowed anywhere, any time.

NCL does have a night they call "dress up or not night" or "norwegian's night out" where they have photographers around the ship and people tend to dress nicer, but it's not required.

While some folks love to dress up, the lack of requirement to do so is one of my favorite things about NCL. Allows me to pack as light as possible (no jackets, ties, dress shoes, etc.)

Thank You! Just the information I was wanting. This is one of the reasons my dh likes NCL. I can't make him dress up. :D

I will be on the Star and I believe they have 2 dining rooms. So the aft one is the only one that is "less" casual? If I am understanding you correctly, my dh can wear nicer shorts to the mdr other than the aft one. Yes?

Kayla

Thank You! Just the information I was wanting. This is one of the reasons my dh likes NCL. I can't make him dress up. :D

I will be on the Star and I believe they have 2 dining rooms. So the aft one is the only one that is "less" casual? If I am understanding you correctly, my dh can wear nicer shorts to the mdr other than the aft one. Yes?

Kayla

I've not been on the star, but it's my understanding that consistently the aft dining room is the more formal one. It was on the Jewel and Epic. Also, yes, he can wear nice shorts in the other venues if he wants. When we were in the caribbean it was very common for people to wear shorts to dinner...just not the rear dining room. In Alaska most people wore jeans or better just because of the weather.

Also, they will generally allow shorts in the aft MDR on the first night because sometimes bags don't get there on time.

Oh...you CAN make your husband dress nicer, but it has nothing to do with the cruise line. :)

Kayla

Hi Kayla! I will be on the Star on 3/16. The other posters are correct. Dress up or not as you like. I plan to. I like to dress for dinner, even though I'm a single cruiser. Not trying to impress anyone, it's just one of hte few chances I get to wear my nice clothes.

My understanding is that of the 2 MDR's, Versailles is the nice/slightly more formal, and the Aqua is the lesser of the two. I have not heard of anyone in shorts being turned away from Aqua MDR but I have heard that of people wearing them to Versailles.

Happy sailing!

Recent cruise on Epic was the only time I've ever actually witnessed someone being turned away for shorts in the larger MDR.

However, some of the women going might as well have been wearing a thong. The dress code should be evenly enforced for both males an females.

Recent cruise on Epic was the only time I've ever actually witnessed someone being turned away for shorts in the larger MDR.

However, some of the women going might as well have been wearing a thong. The dress code should be evenly enforced for both males an females.

I am a woman and completely agree with you. It seems women "get a pass" (in more ways than one) and men seem to merit the slap upside the head. Completely unfair. I have cruised several lines, and this is always a problem in my opinion. I feel sorry for the guys.