First time cruiser... so many questions!

aiwahiro67

Hi! I'm planning a May 2007 trip. Am I looking/researching too early? I noticed the 2007 rates are not up yet....

Over the next several months... I'm sure I'll have lots of questions... so many of you are so knowledgeable and are so lucky to have cruised so MANY times!

We are a family of 4... at the time of our cruise, our boys will be ages 8 and 5.

What type of room do you suggest? After looking at a few sites... I'm confused if a category 7 can fit 4 people?

Is having a balcony a problem with a 5 year old? What is it like?

I was thinking of a window rather than a balcony for that reason... My Category range I'm considering for now is 4-7... pros and cons? Favorite room numbers? PLEASE post your suggestions!

Howdy,

We are waiting for the 2007 cruises too. There has been a lot of chatter about when they will be released, most say September, but I dont know for sure.

I always get confused on the # of category of room, but we had a verandah a few times and they are very nice. There are 3 different types. Some are a clear view with a plexi glass across the railing half way up,(best view), another one is fairly closed in with a round open area that looks like a porthole, but open with a solid wall underneath so no lower view. The third one has a solid lower wall, open across the top, but not as large as the 1st one . #1 has a great view, even from inside the room as you sit on the couch, the others you have to go out onto the balcony to see anything. The sliding door is very heavy and would be hard for a 5 year old to get open, they have very good locks, but the chairs on the balcony can be easily moved and climbed on by a child and then it could be very dangerous. Kids will be kids, they are curious and so would need to be supervised at all times if on the balcony. But like I said there is a good lock on the door.

The porthole window rooms are nice, but some do not have the split bathroom, which is great with a family.

WE never spent enough time in our room to really take advantage of a balcony, so we have gone to ocean view portholes. Deck 9 has Plexiglass all the way around for a great view and safe for kids. Deck 10 is about the same, but it's the open top deck with plexiglass walls 1/2 way up. waist high.

Deck 7 has a hidden deck AFT that most people dont know about so you can often go there for a great view, privacy and big enough for little ones to move around. Deck 4 has a walking/jogging deck that has comfortable lounge chairs, very little noise (just shuffleboard). This deck has 1/2 walls with plexiglass in front of the rainings for safety, but keeps the great view. So you have many places to have a view without having to have a balcony if you choose. I hope this helps some. If you have anymore questions just ask and I'll try to answer if i can. We have done 7 DCL cruises and have 3 more booked. We have sailed with people ages 18 months to 50 years of age, so we have experienced many different things on board.

Also you may want to check out another site that is extremely busy for Disney cruises only. It's www.dcltribute.com

mom x4,grandma x4

We cruised when our Ds was 6. We got a Cat. 6 midship. It was great. We would sit out there and watch all the activity on docking days. As parents we got to sit out there and relax during naps or at night when he was asleep. I say get the verandah.

Cruise critic is the best chat board...however.....if you are cruising Disney there is a lot more activity over at http://www.disboards.com scroll down to cruises. Be sure and join in your roll call and meet the people you are sailing with before hand. This can make the time before you sail so much more fun. If there is not one yet, start one. We have been talking with our group almost a year prior! Have a great time.

Archived