Super Star Virgo

little poppett

SS VIRGO as previously based in Singapore has been heavily promoted through Tour wholesalers/packagers in Australia for over 5 years . As such and sailing much the same routes for the last 5 years many past passengers are looking for new itinerary options . Therefore the re-location of Virgo to Hong Kong offering a 5 day itinerary to HCMC and Sanya is very attractive to Aussies . Pity Star does not operate regularly from Hong Kong to Shanghai as that would be a very attractive destination to Aussies too . Finally the difference in airfares to Singapore v. Hong Kong is marginal and flight frequencies from Aus are very good to both cities.

Yes, the star cruises website is very frustrating, takes ages to update with their new itineraries. They do have info on Xiamen though, under China in destinations. I'd like to see Sanya loaded, they don't even show the Virgo's Hong Kong itineraries for 2008 yet. Wonder if they realise how much potential business they're missing out on by being so slow to update this info.

http://www.starcruises.com/Destinations/China/xiamen.html

I've always loved HK. Shopping-wise, it's one of my favorite cities in Asia. There's always something for everybody and my kids have fun at Disneyland. I'd love it if somebody could post the SS Virgo's itineraries and fares for 2008. If my cruise this December goes well, I just may enjoy the 2008 HK cruises as well. I wasn't able to get a good booking for Singapore this time, since I didn't book early, so it might be well worth it if i can be an early bird for 2008!

All the itineraries are here : In addition to these VIRGO itineraries ex Hong Kong, there are some LIBRA itineraries also ex Hong Kong before Virgo arrives in Hong Kong . (Have posted Libra itineraries on that thread for you.)

Here are the VIRGO Hong Kong itineraries :

http://www.cruising.com.au/templates/search.jsp?partner=&region=296&cruiseline=30&cruiseship=190&cruisedate=&duration=&ports=

Relocation cruises are where the Operator re-positions a vessel from being based in one port, to being based in another port . The re-positioning can be be either permanent or temporary (Seasonal).

In the case of SS VIRGO it is normally based in Singapore but will be based in Hong Kong from late March to late October 2008 . Conversely SS AQUARIUS is normally based in Hong Kong but will be deployed to Singapore over the same period.

So each vessel has a re-positioning cruising in March 2008 to its new port, and then again in October 2008 to return to it's normal home port.

Re-positioning cruises are usually very good for they are not usually heavily loaded, but still have the full crew complement; and secondly because they are one way the lines usually price them very attractively . So one can get on advance purchase fare on SS VIRGO for an Outside Stateroom with Balcony for 5 nights for around $ 1000 Aus per person , which is sensational value given it covers your accommodation, travel , food and entertainment on board .(Also covers blanket Visas for China & Vietnam for travellers on SS VIRGO.)

Placement cruise dates for SS VIRGO & SS AQUARIUS are :

SS VIRGO - Singapore to Hong Kong 5 nights departing 28/03/08 via HCMC (Vietnam) and Sanya (China)

Hong Kong to Singapore 5 nights departing 19/10/08 via Sanya (China) and HCMC (Vietnam)

SS AQUARIUS - Hong Kong to Singapore 4 nights departing 24/03/08 Direct

Singapore to Hong Kong 4 nights departing 24/10/08 Direct

Hi to all SSV thread members, I hope everyone is well !:)

SSV - yes we are going on the last cruise prior relocation and really looking forward to the HK itinerary. We are again going with my parents who also are in deck 10 JS. ( 10018 and 10022 )

Staying in HK prior for a few days so we can go to Happy Valley races:cool: then off to Macau for 2 days - then on the 6d/5n voyage.

Steph - we too are Adelaideians ( with the best public transport system in Australia - he he !!! :mad:) - just wish Fix it Pat :owould also go to Hong Kong or Singapore to see how to run an efficient system. The MTR and MRT are the best transport systems in the world IMO which still remain clean and punctual regardless of passenger numbers. Truly a pleasure.

I really enjoy reading of everyones experiences - keep it up !

All the best - Simon:D

Star are terribly slow getting their website updated, as it appears that their internal communications are not co-ordinated with their Press Releases . The itineraries reflected on the website currently still do not reflect the re-deployment of VIRGO to Hong Kong and AQUARIUS to Singapore .

Re late 2008 based on previous projections by others this would look likely to happen :

- SS GEMINI goes end 2008 and guess its runs will be taken over by next size ship in fleet being SS LIBRA.

- SS AQUARIUS will be back in HK from late October on gambling cruises and the short two day stuff .

- The new SUPERSTAR to come into the Asian fleet (cascaded out of the NCL fleet) will most likely be based in HK probably doing the sort of itineraries VIRGO is doing for half the year out of HK , and out of Taiwan replacing SS LIBRA for rest of year .

- Star appear to be experimenting with a number of single trip itineraries ex HK with SS LIBRA late this year to test what is attractive to the market.

- When another vessel arrives from NCL in 2009 then it will no doubt allow more options out of Hong Kong and Greater China . The most obvious being running ex HK to Xiamen and Shanghai as round trip .

Star are primarily focussed on the short cruise gambling market, although the longer itinerary stuff to Australia, and Singapore - Hong Kong up to 21 nights they are really getting into over 2007/08 . (Asian Oddysey round trips on SS GEMINI are doubled to 6 round trips in 2008 ). So once they get extra ships into the Asian fleet they will be able to expand their operations in China (as announced), and have the capacity to expand into new destinations and seasonal deployments .

Actually, I seriously doubt SSQ will be in HK for more than 3 months after Singapore. Or she may not go back at all.

There MAY be some surprises coming our way...

BTW, anyone on NOV 18th and 25th's Virgo sailing?

hi we are cruising on superstar virgo on the 6th January for 5 days then on disembarkation we fly to phuket. Have checked forums the boat arrives in singapore at 14.00 and our flight to phuket is 16.25 queried this with travel agent saying not enough time, they said if we tell them on the boat they will let us of straight away as we have a connecting flight. I can't believe they will do that with the amount of pax on board can somebody enlighten me on this situation. thanx

hi we are cruising on superstar virgo on the 6th January for 5 days then on disembarkation we fly to phuket. Have checked forums the boat arrives in singapore at 14.00 and our flight to phuket is 16.25 queried this with travel agent saying not enough time, they said if we tell them on the boat they will let us of straight away as we have a connecting flight. I can't believe they will do that with the amount of pax on board can somebody enlighten me on this situation. thanx

I have done this disembarkation many times perhaps 30 times.

It is almost impossible to do it in time. The earliest time I have got to my Singapore office in Orchard Rd a 15 minutes subway ride from Harbourfront is 15.00. If you have to wiat for a taxi you can kiss your flight departure goodbye.

I am slightly sad that they have posted the itineraries (as I was hoping for last minute changes).

There are some hardware problems with the Virgo recently so hopefully they'll plan a long drydock to iron out all issues.

I just got back today from the 5-night cruise which was absolutely fantastic! Lots of enthusiastic passengers (from the land Down Under) which made my cruise even better. I'll be boarding again coming Sunday, to sunny Phuket (where I had lots of fun with the long stop this week)

SSV presumably if they do an out of course dry dock before SS VIRGO trots off to HK it will be done in Singapore, and that to accommodate that an itinerary or two out of SIN to Straits of Malacca would have to be cancelled.

In that case they almost certainly would not dry dock VIRGO before GEMINI returns from Aus late February ?

I don't think it'll be possible to squeeze in a drydock for Virgo before HK.

Also, she just had a drydock early this year. The problem isn't big and it does not affect the engines or generator so no worries.

I need to ask for some advice.

Should I join Virgo for the 6d5n City & Island Escapade which goes SIN-PKL-PHU-LAN-PKL-SIN

OR

Should I join Gemini for the weekly trip which goes SIN-PKL-KRA-PHU-LAN-PKL-SIN?

I love the long(er) stopover both ships have in Phuket (but does Gemini dock at Port or anchor off Patong).

If I join GEMINI, I can visit my friends (whom I've not met for a long time) and experience the ship for the first time. If I join Virgo, I can also visit my friends (more like family already) there and I prefer larger ships. I have been to all places except Krabi both ships offer but I'm worried I'll not like Gemini which is small.

All help and advice is appreciated!

Archived