Super Star Virgo

little poppett

Does anyone know exactly where the Virgo berths in Phuket?

Thanks

KJU

Hi KJU - Phuket is a tender port, i.e. ship anchors and you are ferried to shore by the ship's tender boats (sometimes assisted by local boats). The same applies to Redang Island. In Phuket they used to anchor off Patong Beach when we went (which was 2001/2002) but they probably still use the same area. We had a beautiful sunset there the first time - with the Virgo anchored in the bay it was quite spectacular.

Thnaks for that.. Do you know if you can just go ashore without being on organised tour? When I cruised on the Leo 7 years ago you could and that was included on the excursion sheet listing all the options.

Thanks!

We have always been able to do that, also in Redang last year. I think they call it "free and easy" or something to that effect. From memory last year we needed to get a sticker and then congregate in the Lido theatre and wait until they had set up the tender boats etc. Suggest you check when you get onboard.

Hi everyone,:)

seeing the board again makes the wait until we cruise in late Aug on SSV - SOM easier. Great to see new board members and SSV regulars feedback. furballPerth - hope you really enjoy the cruise and my bet is you will be cruising regularly thereafter.

Great photos posted look great - would love to do xmas or NY on a cruise.

When in Penang the excursion that incl lunch / temples / trishaw ( not sure of name ) is excellent. There is a Ginseng factory / outlet that they don't always include which has amazing oil which is great for aches and ailments.:p

Minyak is the name I think and it has nutmeg oils and other wondrous stuff.

We have stocked up each time now - and last time they nearly didn't include the outlet in the shorex.

Hoping to hear of more great experiences.:D

Simon

Thanks for the greeting Simon. I am looking forward to December even though it is a long time away. I have been given my cabin number 10058 and was told by the agent it is an 'upgrade' to have a balcony room on deck 10...I had requested 9. I am a bit prone to travek sickness but hope it will be OK that I am that bit higher up on the ship. I'll take my kwells and hopefully will be fine.

It's been good to read everyone's bits of info. I've got lots of tips from reading all the comments, so thanks everyone.

Gee Furball I dont think you will need kwells... You dont even feel like your moving most of the time. The only time I have felt something is way down the bottom decks. I felt things moving more when I was off the ship.. It felt like we were still sailing when back in the hotel in Singapore!(keep some kwells in your bag so you dont get stressed about not having any but I doubt you'll need them)

Only a couple of months till we off!! time has flown past so Dec will be here before you know it!

I'll be going for the 3rd June 2007 cruise (Singapore-Ho Chi Minh City-Redang-Singapore :cool:) on SSV. Not long now! Can't wait!:D :D :D

Lucky you - I'm sure you will have a great time. We have sailed on SSV six times and loved every minute.

Make sure to tell us about your trip when you come back!

Hi there,

First Thanks to Mike & Veronica and everybody else, we just got back from Singapore and we took the May 13 (Sun) 5N (Sgp-Penang-Phuket-Sgp-Malacca-Port Klang-Sgp) Cruise. Everything you guys said would echo in my mind when we were there and you are right we did have so much fun there.

Hi Revbar & Boeckli,

Phuket is not a tender port at least not during our trip.

:)

-Benz <-- wouldnt want to see my credit card bill this month :(

Phuket is not a tender port at least not during our trip.

:)

Sorry for the dumb question but can someone explain to me the significance of whether Phuket is a "tender port" or not? I know it means you need to get to shore via small boats but does that really matter? Still counting down for my SSV cruise in december!

-

Furball Perth..........

We tendered off Patong Beach when we were on Virgo in January but I understand that if the ship docks it will be Phuket town which is on the other side of the island.......hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Benz, welcome back and pleased you enjoyed your trip.

FurrballPerth

I prefer it when a ship docks in port because you can get on and off alot quicker and sometimes even use the ship for a quick pit stop during the day - rather than having to queue up for the tender boats - otherwise it doesn't really 'matter'. Although in Phuket the port is quite a way from the town or Patong Beach.

Vera

Good reply Vera. In the case of Phuket, I'll give the edge to anchoring off Patong Beach as the dock is indeed on the other side of the island and transportation can take from 45 minutes to 1 hour to get to Patong Beach.

There is also that great "photo op" to see the ship anchored off Patong Beach which is stunning. The night view is just fabulous.

But either docked or anchored, I really could care less. I'm on holiday, aboard a ship, and no need to rush anywhere.

Best,

Mike

Hi all,

booked on a tour of the islands 4 day / 3 night cruise to Phuket and Langkawi in August and have what is probably a stupid question about local currency

Would I need to bring some Thai bhat or Malaysian Ringgit if I was wanting to buy any thing from the local shops or markets?

At the moment I would have both Sing and Aussie Dollars and dont really want to be using any cards while ashore

Thanks a lot

Fes

Hello

My husband and I were going to book an asian cruise on the Pacific Star for October 2008 yesterday but the ship was sold before we could book. We are now looking at the Star Virgo.

I spent 5 hours last night doing research and would like to say I loved all of the feedback and comments (and photos) it appears as the Virgo is for us. I do have a few questions:

1. When do they release their cruise itinerary - the website only shows up to March 08?

2. Roughly what is the cost for onboard bits and pieces -drinks, extra dining eg japanese etc and roughly how much spending money should I take?

3. looking at booking a junior suite but my travel agent doesn't deal with Star Cruises - can someone email me details of some Australian TA's that do - rnrjay@bigpond.net.au

4. Which itinerary would you suggest - would like to go for at least a week.

Thanks for your help

Rachel

Hello

My husband and I were going to book an asian cruise on the Pacific Star for October 2008 yesterday but the ship was sold before we could book. We are now looking at the Star Virgo.

I spent 5 hours last night doing research and would like to say I loved all of the feedback and comments (and photos) it appears as the Virgo is for us. I do have a few questions:

1. When do they release their cruise itinerary - the website only shows up to March 08?

2. Roughly what is the cost for onboard bits and pieces -drinks, extra dining eg japanese etc and roughly how much spending money should I take?

3. looking at booking a junior suite but my travel agent doesn't deal with Star Cruises - can someone email me details of some Australian TA's that do - rnrjay@bigpond.net.au

4. Which itinerary would you suggest - would like to go for at least a week.

Thanks for your help

Rachel

Rachel - have just emailed you re number 3 - will respond to the others later ... :)

Junior suites are very nice, double the size of the standard cabins, with a separate sitting/dining room and bedroom with bathroom facing the sea.

Last time I paid for a suite and was given one right at the back of the ship. There was so much vibration and noise during sailing that my partner and I could hardly sleep. After making a complaint, we were moved to a suite at the front of the ship, just below the bridge deck. Though both suites are of the same price, the one in front was much more spacious with 2 balconies, and most important of all, peace and quiet.

We got priority booking for the French restaurant for the gala evening. Only for this one evening all passengers can book into the specialty restaurants for free dinner. However there are not many tables in these restaurants, so this is first-come, first served, and suite passengers get a priority. You do need to make the reservation as soon as you get on board.

We didn't really eat in the main restaurants, but tried all the specialty restaurants or room service during the cruise. On average it cost about £30-50 for dinner for two. However for our cruise package, we got £100 spending money to spend on food/drinks onboard. You should ask your travel agent about such offer. Breakfast room service about £5 per person. Lunch about £10 per person, but we were usually out on excursions.

A great vessel and crew . You need to find another travel agent . You can get full deatils of SS VIRGO itineraries on Star website at http://www.starcruises.com or at this website (Australia) http://www.cruiseaway.com.au If you live in Australia the Holidays area of QANTAS packages return air travel deals to Singapore and cruise packages on both SS VIRGO and SS GEMINI out of Singapore . Hope this info helps . Any queries you can direct via e-mail link on Star website to their offices in Singapore, Australia etc .

Hi All

is anyone on the Gemini trip from 16th Sept to 1st October 2007? We are booked on the cruise and looking forward to it. Any idea of what shorex are likely to cost at KL, Penang, Langkawi, Krabi, Koh Samui, Ho Ch Minh, Tioman.

Would also like any other useful tips that you might have for 1st time cruiser. WE are a young 50 yr couple from Melbourne. Have done many asian trips on land but never on sea.

Les

Archived