Super Star Virgo

little poppett

Hi Rose,

Having researched the Superstar Virgo high and low, in and out , I have come across this review page

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=309

It looks like there is a charge applicable to most organised kids activities (with a few exceptions). However, if the kids are old enough, the use of the computer /games rooms is free of charge (but do not quote me on that!).

Would love to hear your comments / review after you get back. Our cruise is still more than 9 months away :(

Have a wonderful holiday, and please feel free to have a glass of chardonnay (or 2 or 3) for me. :D

Cheers

Justine

Hi Rose,

I am not a big wine drinker. But I am in the restaurant/bar business so therefore I do have to order wine for my shops.

When I sail SSV, I always look at all a la carte menus due to habit of wanting to know current prices and trends. In my opinion, the prices of spirits and wines are fair. Reasonable actually. I think the prices on ships sailing ex-Miami et al., are much higher.

SSV does indeed have a nice selection of wines on their menus at various outlets. You mentioned Chardonay. As it happened, on my most recent cruise aboard Virgo, there was a bottle of Chardonay in my cabin, upon boarding, just waiting to be opened. It was a welcome back gift from The Captain. I found it strange, as he knows I don't do wine. But I guess being that he is Captain, there is a certain degree of class and protocol that he follows. Wouldn't look so classy if he had a six pack sent to me, would it?

I did not open the wine, but rather gave it to a couple sitting at the next table to me at the wonderful Bella Vista restaurant. They did enjoy it, a French label, and ordered another bottle for themselves the next night.

We became friendly, and would meet up at various other venues during the cruise. What a story,,,,,,but if I go on, it would be OT so I better quit while I'm ahead.

Rose, it seems that Justine is doing her homework. Do take her advice and check into all kid stuff that is offered. Just go to Star Cruises home page and click on kids program. http://www.starcruises.com

There are freebies and extra cost activities available. Plan ahead and see if what is offered is suitable for you.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Best regards,

Mike

Hi Justine and Mike, thanks for the info! Justine, I had already read the review on SSV on the cruise critic review site, sounds OK doesnt It??

Well only 2 more sleeps and we are off too Singapore with all 5 kids and then get on the SSV on sunday!! Cant wait and will let you guys know how it all went when we return( we are away for 3 weeks as are going to club med bintan after cruise then 8 nights in Singapore), Cheers from Rose:)

Hi Rose, I hope you have a fabulous time aboard Virgo and a great time in the other places you will visit. Enjoy!

Justine Hi, Congrats on your cabin assignment. Your two connecting cabins on Deck 10 are fine. You will like them. Location is ok, especially as Virgo sails in very calm waters. You will be happy with them. Have a great cruise!

Regards,

Mike--currently in TaiShan

hi Mike,

Me & my wife have planned the Virgo for the first week of Nov.

My room is located on the 10deck the room is 10013

I need some basic info ......as this is my first.

Do's & Don'ts on the cruise?

What to do in Penang & phuket for that short time?

Are there any hidden charges on the ship? or any thing we have to pay extra for?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bilal

Hi Bilal,

Enjoy your cruise and feel free and easy. There really are no "don'ts" aboard Virgo. But there are many "do's." For example you must attend the production show Sorpresa! It is not to be missed. If possible, do try some of the extra cost a la carte dining venues. That being said, I personally am very happy to have all my meals in the Bella Vista restaurant which is inclusive. The service and food is fine. Do go up to Deck 13 and try out The Taverna. Great view of the pool and surrounding sea. The do sell some pretty good snacks there as well. Do spend some time in Galaxy of the Stars during the day and try to sit at the very forward left or right side "wings" area. You will be able to see the whole ship and wonderful views out of those huge windows. Do read the Star Navigator and see what is being offered every day and plan accordingly. There is a lot going on so take note of times so you don't miss anything. Oh yeah, at the stern at the Kid's pool area Wet N Wild, there are bleacher seats that off great aft views and some solitude if you so desire. Just relax and have a fabulous time aboard Virgo

Actually, I may be sailing Virgo during Christmas this year again.

If this is your first time visiting Malaysia and Thailand, I stronlgy suggest you do the shorex arranged onboard Virgo. The prices are fair and worth the cost. I would absolutely suggest the nighttime elephant show package. It is really great. Dinner is included in the price. If you have time, you can use the ships shuttle bus to Phuket beach area. What to do?,,,,just walk around and take it all in.

Your cabin will be fine. Although it is located very forward, in the calm seas that Virgo sails, you should have no problem with motion. It is a good size and you will be comfortable.

Star has a "no tipping" policy onboard their ships. I do however suggest to leave your cabin steward/ess a token of your appreciation for their good service, which I am sure you will receive.

If you need more suggestions just ask and I will help in any way I can.

Regards,

Mike--currently in TaiShan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just to whet your appetite and show you what SuperStar Virgo is like, have a look at a few photos I took this year during Chinese New Year. Everything was decorated and executed beautifully.

Sorry that some photos are not too clear, but nevertheless, you can see what a beauty SuperStar Virgo is.

Below are two links to my photos taken aboard Virgo.

http://www.*****/travelpage/aspgallery/view_ad.asp?Ad_ID=1760

http://www.*****/travelpage/aspgallery/view_ad.asp?Ad_ID=1761

Happy sailing to all of you who will be boarding Virgo!

Regards,

Mike

hi Mike,

Thanks,

for your reply

i'll be off 2 singapore in 2 days for the SSV which leaves on the 6th.

just a few more Q's?

1- is it worth getting off at penang (just 8hrs) of the SSV.

2- which are the restaurants included(free) in the package.

3-which currency is the best to carry(i'm carring Singapore$)

4-any specific things they do not let u carry on board??

5-will be in singapore for basically 2 days one before n after, what all to c there in singapore?in this short trip.

Your answers will be highly appreciated

awaiting ur reply

Bilal

Hi Bilal,

I'll try to answer your questions in order:

1. Virgo offers about 7 different shorex trips, that are of course extra charge. If this is your first visit to Penang, then yes, I would recommend taking one of the ship arranged shorex. I have found them well worth the money and safe. There will be a listing at the shorex office onboard the ship telling what excursions they offer. Or, you can check it out on Star Cruises web site now. They are varied and geared to suit all tastes. I am sure that you will find one that you prefer. Here is the link to their shorex,

http://www.starcruises.com/Destinations/Malaysia/penang.html

2. The inclusive restaurants are the BELLA VISTA, PAVILLION and MEDITERRANEAN BUFFET & TERRACE.

Bella Vista is the formal main dining room open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I love this room. Never had a bad meal here. Usually I go here for dinner.

Pavillion serves Chinese cuisine exclusively. The food is good.

Mediterranean Buffet is, well, the buffet venue. For a buffet restaurant, the food is very good. The choices of different ethnic cuisine is amazing. If you especially like Indian food, they offer this daily, due to the many Indian nationals who cruise Virgo. Here is where I lunch usually, but if there is a deck BBQ offered, I will opt for that. The BBQ is inclusive as well.

Blue Lagoon, which is the 24hr eatery serves good fast food. It is not inclusive, but the prices are reasonable. Great spot late at night when you feel a little hungry.

3. Singapore currency is fine. You can always get some local currency ashore if you need it.

4. The only thing, to my knowledge, that you are not allowed to bring onboard is Durian fruit. The smell is enough to kill ya. Hence the no bring aboard notices.

5. There is lots to see and do in Singapore. A must is to walk and shop on Orchard Road, which is the main street. Lot's of malls, boutiques, specialty shops to choose from. Another wonderful experience is to go to Sentosa Island. It is very easy to get there and is well worth a visit, truly. If you have the time, do go and try it.

Also, I always like to go to the Shangri-La Hotel, for a cocktail, or perhaps a light meal at the coffee shop. The lobby and chandeliers are spectacular. I have traveled extensively, and this hotel stands out as one of the most beautiful I have seen.

You also must go to either Clarke Quay or Boat Quay, or better yet, do both. They are busiest at night, with many restaurants on the riverfront and bars and lounges. During the day the atmosphere is different it is more low key. But do go, and get on one of the water taxis for a small tour of the riverfront. It is a very nice experience and offers great "Kodak Moments."

Sin gapore also has diverse ethnic communities to visit. I usually go to Little India for the food and atmosphere. Chinatown is nice as well.

Do check your hotel concierge desk for brochures of what to see and do in Singapore. There should be a self guided walking tour available at the desk.

Hope I have helped in answering your questions. No problem if you think of more before you leave.

Have a really fantastic time aboard one of my most favorite ships.

Regards,

Mike

hi justine, rose here. just thought I would let you know that we are back from our holiday and boy are you going to love your cruise on virgo!! I have never seen anything like it, it was just fantastic, i only wish we had stayed on longer, about 2 weeks would of done me and we only did the 5 night cruise as that was the longest i could get when i booked.Kids club is good and stays open till 1.00 am ( if you need it), but they do charge on an hourly basis, they had a special on when we were there $4.00/hr/per child, so it can add up but its always nice to have a break from the kids( well it was for us!!)

Look out for Harold and Herol (entertainment crew) who were just fantastic with the kids and gorgeous people. If you are interested in seeing some of our pics of the ship let me know and i will email them to you, or if you have any questions re the cruise and ports of call etc. Have a great time, I am already saving up for another trip on virgo thats how fantastic it was, regards from Rose

Hi Rose,

I knew you would have a great cruise and love Virgo.

I am very happy that your expectations were met or exceeded.

The cruise staff do a brilliant job trying to make all pax happy.

Why don't you put some photos in an album and post a link here so we can all view your photos. I know I would enjoy seeing them.

Now, start planning your next cruise:)

Regards,

Mike--sailing Star Pisces this Friday

Hi ]

I am going on my honeymoon for a 3 day cruise and subsequently to singapore and malaysia.

Just had a few questions on the SSV

1. What are the best things to be enjoyed in the ship?

2. Can anybody let me know which are the best excursions to be taken in Phuket and Penang. i plan to take the phang nga bay excursion in Phuket

3. Is carrying own liquor/ wine allowed on board the ship for personal consumption.

Any other information will be welcome

Thanks

Vik

Hi Rose,

So glad to hear you had a great time! :D I can't wait until next July! I am going to start putting money away for the kids club, luckily I only have to budget for 2. Are there any kids activities free of charge (for eg. if they just want to spend time in the video/computer arcade)?

I would love to see your photos. It would be great if you could post them in an album as Mike has suggested.

Mike,

Have a wonderful time cruising on the Pisces!

Cheers

Justine

Hi Justine,

Thanks for your well wishes for my Pisces cruise.

Actually, I will be aboard to do a Part 2 of my review for Star Pisces. I did my first review just before Pisces went to dry-dock. So I told Star Cruises that I will do an updated review when the ship returns to service. That's why I'm sailing on Friday.

Your cruise in July aboard Virgo seems far off I know, but the time will fly by and sooner than you realize you will be walking her decks. Anticipation is part of the fun.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Vik,

Congratulations on your marriage, and wishing you many happy and healthy years together.

1. When you board SSV get settled in your cabin, and then have a leisurely walk throughout the ship. Walk into all the public rooms and "get the feel of them." You will soon know which rooms make you feel comfortable. I personally love the production show "Sorpresa" in The Lido theatre.

Also, I greatly enjoy going to Galaxy of the Stars during the day for those fantastic views and in the evening, the room is very classy.

Also, The Taverna on Deck 13 is another favorite. Great outdoor bar and views to match.

2. Your choice of shorex is good. I also always recommend the "Phuket Fantasea" elephant show. It is indoors in a huge theater and is spectacular.

3. I can't be bothered lugging wine or spirits with me. But other people have gotten them pass the x-ray machines.

Perhaps Rose, who just got off Virgo can give further info.

You will love Virgo and want to return.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply.

I wanted to go for the the Phang Nga bay because i wanted to go to a beach destination.

However i am confused between the Phang Nga bay excursion on boat or the one in which you can go and explore Phang Nga bay in a sea canoe.

May be you can help.

Also could you advise which excursion would be good in Penang.

Thanks

Vikas

Hi Vikas,

My last cruise aboard Virgo was in February. At that time I and some friends took the "Scenic Phang Nga Bay" tour. It was great, and you did have time at a beach. I cannot tell you about the "Sea Cave Canoe" shorex, as I did not participate in that one. But, being that the area is a tropical paradise, I am sure they would as well offer beach time.

It is possible that shorex have changed since then, but most likely are still the same. Either one, you will have a great time.

Penang, ok, if again, you are looking for a beach experience, then do the "Fun in the Sun" shorex. You will have the use of pool and beach at a resort hotel. It's nice.

If you want a bit more of a look at Penang, do the "Exquisite Penang" shorex.

This does not have a stop at a beach though.

Regards,

Mike

hi justine and mike, justine as far as free kids activities go , yes sometimes there are some in the kids club( but not many) and other times they have like family games in the galaxy of the stars which the kids can join in. The video/games is all token/money based so you have to pay. We found the most expensive thing was the drinks(alcohol) they tend to charge quite a bit especially for the wine, but who cares when you are having such a good time. I will get round to putting some pics on at some stage, I'm still coming back to reality and getting organised back here at home, do you guys have an email address i could send the pics to?? let me know, regards from rose PS MIke have a great time on pisces

Hi Rose,

What a let down, coming back to reality huh!

Just start thinking of and planning your next cruise it helps.

I am sure I will have a great time aboard Star Pisces. It's a fun ship and I always enjoy myself.

For all you upcoming VIRGO cruisers, here is a link to the ships STAR NAVIGATOR, which is the daily program. Hope it will give you something to look forward to.

http://www.starcruises.com.tw/virgo/ssc1a.html

Regards,

Mike--heading to Hong Kong tomorrow

Hi Rose and Mike

I know this sounds crazy, with so many months still to go until the cruise, but I'm already so excited:D

I do promise I will stop asking questions as some stage...LOL

But for now....well, I have some more.....:p

Mike, Thanks for posting the Star Navigator....there are sooooo many activites:eek:

As Rose has mentioned, kids can join adults in some fun and games, so I assume activites like "napkin folding" or "line dancing" (during the day) can be enjoyed by the whole families.

Is the dress code at the Bella Vista a bit more casual for breakfast or lunch(eg. dressy bermuda shorts or sleeveless tops for women)?

Do we need to book tables at the inclusive restaurants or do we just turn up? Most probably we will be eating early with the kids, so then we can get "rid" of them and kick our heels up:D

As we have booked 2 balcony cabins, we have been given credit to be spent on board...that should just about cover the drinks

Sorry for being such nuisance and asking all these questions....my family has already started leaving the room as soon as I mention the word "cruise"

Cheers

Justine

Justine hi,

I guess you and I are the only two up at this hour, of course we are both in Asia Pacific.

So, let's see if I can answer some of your questions from my past Virgo cruises recollections. Rose will jump in later when she awakes:)

Line dancing and such activities can be enjoyed by everyone.

Dress code for Bella Vista during breakfast is casual. Yes, shorts are acceptable, but do wear sneakers or such, as flip flops are not allowed.

Reservations are not needed for the inclusive dining venues. Just show up. Good idea to eat early with the kids and then enjoy a night on the town with your hubby. I'm not sure, but Virgo may have special Child Care dinners available if you choose. Rose? Can you help here?

Good idea to use your credit for the bar purchases. I cannot remember the prices of drinks onboard. Or maybe I should say that I don't remember being shocked when presented with the tabs. Again, Rose?

Justine your questions are perfectly normal and are replied to with pleasure. Don't feel that you are being a nuisance. You're not. Don't forget, we were all in your shoes too, at one time!

Which cruise are you booked for? Sunday departure, or Wednesday?

Regards,

Mike--looking forward to Pisces on Friday.

Archived