Info on Grand Princess Suites Please

jaspersmommy

I haven't sailed with Princess before, and have just booked a cruise on the Grand Princess. I did a crash-course on the Grand in the 48 hours prior to booking and ended up going with an aft Vista suite (D736) on the Dolphin deck.

In the event that prices come down and a good upgrade opportunity comes along (and I'm not holding my breath), I'm trying to get info on other suites. Unfortunately, Princess' website shows the same photo and stateroom diagram for the Grand's Vista, Penthouse and Owners suites.

Can anyone tell me what the basic differences are between these three types of suites? For those familiar with them, are there any situations where you wouldn't want to upgrade from a Vista to a Penthouse or Owner's suite?

From what I understand, our current suite has a fairly large balcony. I don't mind downsizing the balcony a little, especially if the stateroom is better/larger. It's a Pacific Coastal cruise in late April, so I'm really not sure just how much we will be able to use the balcony anyway... but, I don't want to move to a suite where the balcony would be significantly smaller or uncovered. If anyone can steer me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Edited by jaspersmommy

I have stayed in D736 on the Grand and it is a fantastic suite. The only difference between a Vista suite and a penthouse suite is that there is a desk in the living room area of the penthouse suite and you do not have that in the Vista suite. That being said, the difference in size is hardly noticeable.

The Owner's suite is considerably larger than either the Vista or Penthouse suites and has a dining table in the suite but also comes with a much heftier price tag. Chances of price drops on full suites are extremely slim.

And the aft balcony is so sheltered that you may find yourselves spending more time out there than you think you will.

As can786 stated there is a desk in the PH that is not in the VS. The cabin of the PH is slightly larger and the PH suites on the grand class ships are centrally located and very convenient to everything onboard. The PH balconies are half covered/half open while the balcony on the VS is fully covered. The PH suites have shelves on both sides of the bathroom vanity for toiletries where you simply have to place them on the vanity in the VS. Most of the difference in the VS/PH is due to location.

Mike:)

Edited by bhopal21

Many thanks Can786 and Bhopal21 for your input. I know the odds of price drops on suites aren't always great, but I've lucked out before and like to be prepared just in case...

The price difference right now between a VS and PS isn't very much, and I was wondering if I should call and switch to the PS. But, I really love a nice balcony and an aft view, so for the time being, I think I'll stay put.

Thanks again.