Car Seat

Stacy1436

I don't think car seats are required in taxicabs, we never needed one for our DS (but, come to think of it, he was 9 when we began cruising with him all the time). However, if you feel better bringing one with you, then you should feel free to do so. Won't you need one anyway to get from wherever you are coming from to board the ship? Or, maybe I'm interpreting this wrong and you mean you'll have one but just don't want to bring it on your excursion. In any case, my brothers and I were all born in the mid-forties and we survived (I'm the oldest and I'm in my late 60s) without car seats just fine. LOL!:D

Whatever you decide...I hope you and your family have a safe, awesome, cruise!:):):)

P.S. I wouldn't want to bring one on my excursion to Atlantis and have to haul it all around, all day, along with a child and all the other stuff you'll need. I'd only do it if I were going to be traveling in a vehicle all day or for a very long distance. I don't believe they are required in the Bahamas anyway.

Edited by mousey

You can just take the water taxi over to the Atlantis. Definitely no car seats required on a boat! That's what we did.

By the way. We've taken 4 cruises with kids before they turned 2 and have never taken a car seat. You can really plan your activities without needing to haul a car seat around.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Traveling with an 18 month old. The only place we will be in a taxi is on Nassau between the ship and Atlantis. Do you bring a car seat? Is it required there? Suggestions appreciated.

Better safe than sorry... particularly with the most precious cargo you will ever have... stupid to not take one.

do you really want to be that person who puts their kid in danger?

not to mention, having been on several cabs in nassau, they drive INSANE.

you're going to have the carseat to get to the port, it doesn't take up that much room, i'd bring it.

some might even call this question negligent. it certainly sounds that way. and screw anyone who says this is over reacting or anything. my kid is my entire life, i wouldn't do anything so stupid as to put her in danger.

I brought a life jacket on our cruise for our daughter to wear on the tender to and from the island of half moon cay. Some people acted so surprised I brought it. Which I thot was odd. Because in US they HAVE to wear it. So, I never thought about a car seat...but If it bothered me, I would bring one...if it doesn't bother you, don't bring one. I probably would bring it tho ,if I knew we were going to be in a car.

Better safe than sorry... particularly with the most precious cargo you will ever have... stupid to not take one.

It's stupid to take one for that particular ride.

Those cabs don't have proper seat belts. A carseat is beyond worthless if it's not belted in. In fact, when not belted in they become downright dangerous to the child and everyone else who may get hit by a projectile carseat. By having a loose carseat you are putting your child and all the other passengers and possibly people on the street in danger.

I like the suggestion about taking a boat.

We just returned from travelling with our 10 month old. We did have a car seat with us but that was mostly becuase we were renting a car after and HAD to have it for that.

That being said, we used it more then we expected. We thought we could avoid the car seat issue in Florida by taking shuttle "bus" as it is not a legal requirement on a bus. But every shuttle we were on was either a mini van, an svu or a passenger van so we needed it for everything.

On the islands we avoided the whole issue by taking the stroller and walking everywhere. I know that isn't an option for every island or every person (and one day that we walked 2 hours in the blazing hot sun was a bit much!).

I like the boat option for your particular case - a life vest is much smaller to bring.

Like some others have said, the taxi cab may not even have seat belts as well.

I have read that some people strap their baby to themselves with an baby wearing/carrying item (Egro and Beco are good for babies up to 2 years old) for the taxi and that would be easy to pack too.

Good luck!

:)

Edited by boowaaccaa

You won't need one. If you're only commuting back and forth from the airport it's not worth lugging it. If you do decide to take it, you will be able to find a cab with functional seat belts. There are tons of cabs at the airports. Lots of them are fairly new and well maintained. But at 18 months, you're fine without one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk