Alaska Overnight in Glacier Bay

Planmaam

I have a question about NCL's ships overnighting in Glacier Bay. I have not looked at Alaska itineraries for a couple of years, and the search option is down, so forgive me if this has already been discussed; I did also check the Alaska boards, to no avail.

Its about overnighting in Glacier Bay. Is this new this year or have they done it before? Regardless, does anyone know whether they keep the lights low upper decks of the ship so that you can see the night sky clearly? Seeing the Aurora Borealis, and the Milky Way would be spectacular from there!!!

Anyone with answers, I thank you in advance.

Edited by planma'am

I have a question about NCL's ships overnighting in Glacier Bay. I have not looked at Alaska itineraries for a couple of years' date=' and the search option is down, so forgive me if this has already been discussed; I did also check the Alaska boards, to no avail.

Its about overnighting in Glacier Bay. Is this new this year or have they done it before? Regardless, does anyone know whether they keep the lights low upper decks of the ship so that you can see the night sky clearly? Seeing the Aurora Borealis, and the Milky Way would be spectacular from there!!!

Anyone with answers, I thank you in advance.[/quote']

Wow, I looked at one of the itineraries, and it does say overnight in Glacier Bay and also Hubbard Glacier. While it would be wonderful if true, I wonder if it is just a typo. I don't see how you could overnight at Glacier and then be in Ketchikan at 9:00, but maybe it's possible. And I'd be surprised if the park would allow it.

I'd call NCL and inquire, although you may have a hard time getting a straight answer because they will probably just refer to the same info that's on the website and say it's correct.

It has been discussed before.

The NCL website is misleading here. The ship leaves Glacier Bay in the evening, as it always has. There is just no official departure time, so the website says overnight. I think it used to say something else equally misleading.

The UK site has no times listed, which is less misleading at least.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can't provide a link I'm afraid because I can only find the thread through tapatalk, but this was posted by someone in January 2013;

"On the itinerary for the NCL Pearl it seems the cruise through Glacier Bay is during the night? Departs Skagway at 8:15pm and then Glacier Bay "overnight" with Ketchikan the next day at 6am. Is this right? I'm confused and I just got off the phone with NCL and they don't know the answer! What's the point of Glacier Bay if you can't see it?"

I went on the Pearl last year and we certainly weren't in Glacier Bay overnight. As we concluded on that thread, the itinerary on NCL.com is misleading.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by KeithJenner

I went on the Pearl last year and we certainly weren't in Glacier Bay overnight. As we concluded on that thread, the itinerary on NCL.com is misleading.

We were on the Pearl in September and we definitely didn't spend the night in Glacier Bay. You enter in the morning, slowly travel the bay during the day, spin around at one of the glaciers, and then slowly head back out in the afternoon.

At one time I remember the site said "scenic cruising" I can also see the dilemma here Glacier Bay is not really a port and technically you leave Skagway on Wed PM and you arrive at Ketchikan Fri AM so you must spend the nights somewhere. The truth is that you enter the bay early in the morning - have the rangers board - slowly sail to the upper end of the bay, spin around at a glacier for an hour or so, then slowly make your way back out - the process takes around 8 hrs and is wonderful. The rangers also give a slide show and talk in the auditorium on the way out.

At one time I remember the site said "scenic cruising" I can also see the dilemma here Glacier Bay is not really a port and technically you leave Skagway on Wed PM and you arrive at Ketchikan Fri AM so you must spend the nights somewhere. The truth is that you enter the bay early in the morning - have the rangers board - slowly sail to the upper end of the bay, spin around at a glacier for an hour or so, then slowly make your way back out - the process takes around 8 hrs and is wonderful. The rangers also give a slide show and talk in the auditorium on the way out.

That's how I remembered it when we did in on the Pearl, I thought there was some new and exciting changes. Oh, well. Still going to go again, love Alaska no matter the itinerary.

Well, shoot; that's a disappointment, isn't it. I was really hoping they spent the night there.

So it must not be much different from the other two times we've been there. Arrive in the a.m., spend a couple of hours, then slowly leave again.

Thanks for all the responses. See, I knew I'd find the answer from fellow CCers!