What chance would a bomber have on getting on a ship?

If the terrorist's wanted to bomb or attack a cruise ship they aren't going to get the idea from us. I'm sure that they could probably come up with all on their own. It's not like it's a new idea though, it has happened before.

I agree...but you can't imagine how stupid some of our own security people are. Two good examples my neighbor is a high offical in the NYC Office or Emergency management- the people responsible for an emergency in NY. Their first speciality built "war room" was on the 60th floor of WTC 7---right accross from the WTC--do I have to say more? well now their temporary one is UNDER the Brooklyn Bridge- right under it. If the BB is bombed guess what- it falls on top of their building. and they are now building a new OEM building which is at the entrance of the BB and right next to a federal office building which was previously bombed. BTW I lived in westbrook off Salt Island Road.

First let me say I am not afraid. We must live our lives!!

I disagree. I think a cruise ship represents what the terrorist hate most. If they hit a cruise ship like they did the USS Cole it would do far more damage then it did to the Cole. A cruise ship is not designed for battle. If they were able to hit a cruise ship with a boat loaded down with explosives they could probably sink it pretty quick. Look at the damage done in the Oklahoma bombing with just a truck. If they killed 1'000's on a ship could you imagine what that would do to the travel industry! Think about the ripple affects on that!!

They could but the problem is the fact that the guest complement consists of people from all over the world. Terrorist factions still need public support from somewhere in order to survive and random killing of multinationals is going to turn more nations against them which would choke off what logistical and financial support they have left. Hitting Brits or Americans is a popular move with their supporters. Killing other nationals randomly is not. It would turn otherwise indifferent nations against them and that they cannot afford right now.

There have been suicide or bombings in many countries having nothing to do with US or the Brits. You should watch BBC news more.

Careful or I'd think that you're accusing me of being a naive American, smeyer.

I know plenty of what's going on in the world. I excavated the bodies of my friends from the hotel bombing in Beirut in 1983. I spent over ten years "cruising" throughout the Pacific and Mediteranean visiting the great local vacation spots to include Somalia, Malaysia, Thailand, Japan, Hong Kong, Austrailia, Spain, Italy, Israel, Bahrain, and even beautiful sunny Baghdad.

I've seen plenty of body parts of innocent people who were mostly women and children scattered over former peaceful market places. I know what these people do and what they're capable of. There is no defense from an individual willing to die for his/her cause except to exterminate them before they can harm me or mine.

I agree...but you can't imagine how stupid some of our own security people are. Two good examples my neighbor is a high offical in the NYC Office or Emergency management- the people responsible for an emergency in NY. Their first speciality built "war room" was on the 60th floor of WTC 7---right accross from the WTC--do I have to say more? well now their temporary one is UNDER the Brooklyn Bridge- right under it. If the BB is bombed guess what- it falls on top of their building. and they are now building a new OEM building which is at the entrance of the BB and right next to a federal office building which was previously bombed. BTW I lived in westbrook off Salt Island Road.

Sometimes it seems that the ones in charge aren't the brightest bulbs in the pack.;) You would think they would want to put a OEM in a SAFE place.

My husband fishes all the time off Salt Island Road on Pointina road. How long have you been out of Westbrook?

Norman- Please tell me that was not your truck?

we just returned last week from the NOS and this issue does cross my mind as well (would never stop me from going though) Do you think that there is some type of weapons on the ship just in case? I was just wondering...

when we went on the Caribbean Princess last summer when we arrived at the ship there were divers checking all around the bottom of the ship...that made me feel a lot better

Suzanne

I remember sailing a couple of weeks after 9/11. The dock was covered by Natl. Guard troops with semi-auto. guns. Also saw the divers mentioned. After several cruises later the guards are gone (a simple police car patroling the docks) and several divers replaced by one or two. The ships are very secure but I always wondered how would/could it defend itself. As an example at the port of Miami, all kinds of people gather alongside the bank of the port to watch the ships depart. The ships are easily within two hundred yards of these people and their cars. There is never anyone patrolling this bank. Hmmmm....

Cruise ships generally are not allied with any one government or political faction, therefore, causing harm to passengers on a cruise ship does not serve their purpose.

American and United Airlines are not allied to the US government either. They're just businesses with patriotic names. Yet they were attacked. Some countries do have national carriers, but the United States does not.

If our 5/29/05 Mariner embarkation nightmare is any indication...Homeland Security is watching closely. We were held in the terminal for about 3 hours (noon to about 3PM)while this "breach" was being investigated. This was after evacuating the terminal and reprocessing thru the security checkpoint and x-ray equipment. Later arriving Px's couldn't even get inside the terminal and had to wait in the heat.

Not sure that all this would stop someone from getting thru with a device, but I know now that they are checking!

[quote name='debandbill']If our 5/29/05 Mariner embarkation nightmare is any indication...Homeland Security is watching closely. We were held in the terminal for about 3 hours (noon to about 3PM)while this "breach" was being investigated. This was after evacuating the terminal and reprocessing thru the security checkpoint and x-ray equipment. Later arriving Px's couldn't even get inside the terminal and had to wait in the heat.

[B]Not sure that all this would stop someone from getting thru with a device, but I know now that they are checking![/B][/QUOTE]

Well we know they scan our carry-on luggage. I don't know if they scan our baggage the way airlines do or not.

I don't want to freak you all out, but if someone wants to bomb something, whether is be a bus, plane, train, car, ship, or ANYTHING else, they will find a way to do it. You can throw a trillion dollars into security and bodyscan everything that moves and someone who is INTENT on causing HARM will find a way.

There really is no such thing as true security in an open and free society. We simply can't protect all things at all times. Bottom line is that cruise ships are just not high value targets to anybody interested in blowing things up. Airplanes seem to be the vehicle of choice for some reason.

We should be more concerned about whether the ship's bars are stocked with our favorite beer.

[quote name='Fritz265']There really is no such thing as true security in an open and free society. We simply can't protect all things at all times. Bottom line is that cruise ships are just not high value targets to anybody interested in blowing things up. Airplanes seem to be the vehicle of choice for some reason.

We should be more concerned about whether the ship's bars are stocked with our favorite beer.[/QUOTE]

Personally I think airplanes WERE the “vehicle of choice” We have since made drastic changes in that department. Example. Burglar breaks in your house using your windows you put all your energy in securing the windows but mean while you left the back door wide open. So now the burglar leaves the windows alone and tries other ways. I don’t think any or us can say that a cruise ship is or isn’t something the terrorist would want to bomb. I would not be surprised if they did attack a ship such as “Pride Of America” or "Freedom of the seas" Just as they used planes with american names. Bottom line... most that cruise are Americans and Europeans. Yes there are other nationalities just as there were other nationalities in the World Trade Center.

I personally think if you are that worried then stay home. I know that was cruel. But hey I leave near NYC, next to Grumman, my life is "in danger" everyday. But I do not stop living. You have a better chance of being thrown overboard buy an irate spouse!:eek:

[quote name='cruise182']Personally I think airplanes WAS the “vehicle of choice” We have since made drastic changes in that department. Example. Burglar breaks in your house using your windows you put all your energy in securing the windows but mean while you left the back door wide open. So now the burglar leaves the windows alone and tries other ways. I don’t think any or us can say that a cruise ship is or isn’t something the terrorist would want to bomb. I would not be surprised if they did attack a ship such as “Pride Of America” or "Freedom of the seas" Just as they used planes with american names. Bottom line... most that cruise are Americans and Europeans. Yes there are other nationalities just as there were other nationalities in the World Trade Center.[/QUOTE]

Granted. But again, should we walk around in a cloud of paranoia or keep vigilant and enjoy life instead? If a determined individual willing to die to meet their objective targets a cruise ship or just about anything else, they will do so.

Let's get back to counting down days to cruise.......:cool:

[quote name='pmarcum']troops with semi-auto. guns. [/QUOTE]

Sure they weren't auto?

[quote name='abridalmaven']You have a better chance of being thrown overboard buy an irate spouse![/QUOTE]
STOP GIVING ME IDEAS!!!

[quote name='abridalmaven']I personally think if you are that worried then stay home. I know that was cruel. But hey I leave near NYC, next to Grumman, my life is "in danger" everyday. But I do not stop living. You have a better chance of being thrown overboard buy an irate spouse!:eek:[/QUOTE]

There's definitely better odds of my meeting my demise by an irate spouse than by terrorist bombing.:eek:

[quote name='Fritz265']Granted. But again, should we walk around in a cloud of paranoia or keep vigilant and enjoy life instead? If a determined individual willing to die to meet their objective targets a cruise ship or just about anything else, they will do so.

Let's get back to counting down days to cruise.......:cool:[/QUOTE]

No "paranoia" here. I'm more afraid of being a passenger in a cab on an island. Some of the cab drivers drive insane!!!

Archived