expert information required

mazcon

There are a couple of different "jabs". One of them is Fenegran (Phenegran? ...gram?)

Every time my wife gets it (or the other one) the doctor tells her it will knock her out for a couple of hours. This is the effect it has on mopst people. However it just makes her ravenously hungry.

Regards, Colin.

My wife had the jab on our crossing in April. The nurse said it was phenergan, that it would make her drowsy for about 12 hours and be effective for 6 days or so.

It was late at night when she had the jab - she went straight to bed and slept all night. She felt much better in the morning and ate "a hearty breakfast" although she was feeling light headed until mid afternoon. Obviously it affects different people in different ways but it always seems to work and is well worth the money.

thank you all for your replies. I had the same experience when I had the jab - it made me feel sleepy for a while and then I was fine for the rest of the voyage.

The reason for my question is that I am a psychotherapist and use hypnosis with my clients. I have not had much success with sea sickness and I wondered, if I knew exactly what happened (chemically) in the body as a result of the jab, it might be possible to induce a natural simulated response. What do the chemicals in the jab do that makes the individual feel comfortable with the motion of the ocean? What makes the jab so much more effective than pills or wristbands?

A strange posting, I know but.... all in the interest of science??

Is there a doctor in the house?

Mary

Are you a psychologist? As a Behavioral Health Care practitioner, you may be interested to know this is a phenothiazine just like Thorazine, but is more similar in chemical structure to Compazine (also a phenothiazine) which is used for nausea and vomiting. It also has antihistamine properties and the injection is made by Baxter International.

The chemical structure differs from the anti psychotic phenothiazine by the presence of a branched side chain and no ring substitution which in a nutshell means this gives it less dopamine agonist properties. Also has H1 Receptor site blocking capacity meaning it has antihistamine properties similar to over the counter Benadryl. Add to this the anti emetic (anti vomiting) and sedative effects of the Phenos and you have a potent drug to combat vertigo or motion sickness with its always present nausea.

Unfortunately every drug has its unwanted side effects, and the Phenos as you know have many undesirable ones such as:

Central Nervous System: extra pyramidal symptoms such as oculogyric crisis (uncontrollable eyeball movement) is a particularly disturbing side effect but is not as common as, restlessness which can occur, one cannot lie or sit still nor stop shaking/moving, a very unpleasant experience. Most people just become drowsy and sedated.

The increased appetite is due to the Anti Histamine effect which is an appetite stimulant.

The drug is actually absorbed well orally (distributed by Wyeth) and works well via this route, however, when one presents themselves in the infirmary they are already nauseated and may have vomited thus there may be a delay in absorption of the drug or it may be vomited, so the injection is indicated as it is given intramuscularly and will should begin to work within 15 minutes.

Archived