Queens staircase - nassau bahamas

croozluv

My husband and I walked it with our twins (7) this past May. We felt completely safe and met some really interesting people along the way. Once we reached the top of the staircase there was a lovely old man in a wheelchair who gave us a great history lesson and we in turn gave a great tip. I found that vendors at the fort nearby were far too pushy and downright rude (worse than straw market) so I would recommend avoiding them, but the view of the ships in harbor almost made it worth putting up with their tactics. After that we shopped downtown then walked to Junkanoo beach had a few beers and some conch fritters. It was absolutely exhausting, but doable and enjoyable. Keep in mind though I would absolutely NOT do this walk at dark or alone.

Have a great trip!

We did this walk two years ago, walked to Queen's staircase from the port. I would not have been comfortable doing it without the men we had with us, there were some suspicious characters lurking around. If you have a group, you should be fine, get a good map, the back roads are confusing and poorly labeled.

Been to the Queens staircase three times. I've never walked there but it's doable on foot from the Pier. Also, been to Nassau 5 times. 4 with a cruise; once during a land vacation. Always felt safe. The Queens Staircase is in the touristy area anyway, so you will be fine. Nice thing to see!

My wife and I did the Frommer's Walking Tour last year. Here is a link to it at Google Maps...

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&t=h&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=212915410434543012134.0004943ae4a62b8cf9961

It is not a 45 minute walk to the stair case. Maybe 20 if you don't stop anywhere along the way. We did the whole tour in less than 2 hours.

We never felt unsafe. Everyone was friendly and helpful. Many people along the way recognized we were doing a tour and offered insight on the various attractions. I live near Nashville and I have seen sketchier people downtown than I did in Nassau.