Ponant for English speakers

leonardofan

I just got the new Ponant English brochure, so they clearly want English speaking guests, but they are very vague about arrangements for them,

Guaranteed English speaking shore excursions? Entertainment? What percentage of pax are English speaking?

We were on the L'Austral to Antarctica in December 2011. Over 50% of the passengers were french. The food and service were excellent and the ship was beautiful. The crew spoke English - from fluently to somewhat broken (better than my French - which is restricted to the menu). We truly enjoyed the experience and would certainly sail with them again. Excursions were not a problem at all.

Edited by Mike2131

We were on the Austral in july 2013 IST / IST with several calls as Volos (excellent way to see the meteores area) as exemple.

Yes there is a majority of French speaking (French, Belgian, Swiss) but also english speaking people. We had even Australians and some New Zeelanders on board.

Official announcements are bilingual. There are also some presentations which are for English speaking persons. The buses for the excursions were eithre French speaking or some separate English speaking

Most of the staff will speak English also.

Ponant with their small vessels is excellent only a maximum of 264 passengers, a quite different menthality as the bigs ships.

They have a lot of new destinations as last year the 3rd ship Soleal joined the fleet. They offer even Australia and New Zealand. Of course they are already since the Boreal offering Antarctica and Arctica as they are Ice class.

Food is excellent and beverages (wines and other) are included during the meals (noon and evening).

Under French flag the tip (service fees) must be included by French law. So you will not have an extra 12 / 15 USD p day on your bill. A free anonymus enveloppe will be i your cabin the for last day. I you want to give a tip, it is free and it stays anonymous as it is to be dropped in a box.

:):):)

Edited by jpver

• 4 weeks later...

Over the last 15 years, we have taken three cruises on a Ponant vessel. My DH just returned from the Antarctic and sailed on the LeBoreal. You won't have any problem since the announcements are given in almost all languages. The French crew does speak English. I would sail them in a moment if I could and I ONLY speak English.

Happu sailing!!

sheila

We will be sailing on Le Boreal in May - counting the days,:D

Have been told by our TA that we will not have a problem with the language. I did high school French years ago but that was to far back for me to remember :o

We're booked on the L'Austral for this December.

I am told the crew, althrough their native language is French, all speak good English. And the cabin stewards tend to speak better broken English than broken French in many cases. Announcements are made in French followed by English.

For our cruise, I believe they have brought onboard another English speaking Host, and English speaking lecturers for the greater than usual English speaking guests on board (it is a cruise around Australia after all).

I am also told that the Maitre D, does his best to group English speaking passengers onto the same tables in the MDR, especially when their numbers are smaller.

Regardless, you won't have a communication problem to dampen your experience.

• 2 weeks later...

I am adding a different question here because I don't want to start a long discussion on this topic by announcing it in the title. (Bad experience on other boards)

What is the dress code on the Austral? I am hoping for country club casual and NO formal nights.

Our cruise will be followed by a land trip on our own (trains, busses). We would not like to drag along too much luggage.

I am adding a different question here because I don't want to start a long discussion on this topic by announcing it in the title. (Bad experience on other boards)

What is the dress code on the Austral? I am hoping for country club casual and NO formal nights.

Our cruise will be followed by a land trip on our own (trains, busses). We would not like to drag along too much luggage.

When we sailed on the L'Austral to Antarctica, the on-board dress was pretty much Country Club casual (casually elegant) for the evening. The only exception was for the Captain's welcome reception evening and Farewell Dinner. Those evenings I wore dress slacks, a sport coat, button up shirt, but no tie. I saw a suit or 2 (usually European gentlemen) and other dress slacks/sport coat combinations - some with ties. Other gentlemen wore the same style of clothes as other evenings. My DGF wore the lady's equivalent in the evening. It was pretty much all over the board - except we never saw jeans in the dining room any evening. It does not mean they were not there, but we never saw any.

If you are on an expedition cruise (especially in a polar region) dressing up is usually the last thing on your mind. If, however, you are, for instance, on a European cruise, then it will probably be more formal on some evenings. I suggest asking your TA or Ponant if booking directly.