Miami geographic areas & question for BlueHeron

kroberst

Trying to identify the general areas of Miami referenced on the various travel websites in terms of proximity to the port. Based on what I've read in the posts so far, looks like target areas would include: downtown, and Brickell.

BlueHeron - I see from your blog a mention of Blue Lagoon - can you describe where that is?

Looking for a pre and post night stay at the end of April. Thanks for input all!

Kathleen

I can help a little......If you do not have a car, and you are looking at a one night stay, then you would want to look at the hotels in the downtown area as well if you'd like the Brickell area. Downtown hotels like Intercontinental and Holiday Inn port of Miami, Hyatt, etc are very close to the port. You'll see even others rec'd on this board.

"Blue Lagoon" area hotels are nearer the airport and are used often by people who have cars to park while cruising and those looking to maybe saving a little money ( from downtown rates in season) and still be in walking distance to a few restaurants.

If you go thru some of the threads quickly you will find lots of popular hotels.

Trying to identify the general areas of Miami referenced on the various travel websites in terms of proximity to the port. Based on what I've read in the posts so far, looks like target areas would include: downtown, and Brickell.

BlueHeron - I see from your blog a mention of Blue Lagoon - can you describe where that is?

Looking for a pre and post night stay at the end of April. Thanks for input all!

Kathleen

Blue Lagoon is close to the airport.

South Beach is part of Miami Beach is the barrier island. Miami is the mainland. The port is on Dodge Island which is in Biscayne Bay which is the body of water that separates Miami and Miami Beach.

If you have some time, stay out on the beach. If you have a late arrival, stay near the airport. If you arrive late afternoon or early evening, stay downtown.

Downtown is very close to the port. South Beach would be the area that is second closest.

Coral Gables and Coconut Grove are also nice areas on the mainland to stay.

Eandj and BlueHerons - thank you for taking the time to give some suggestions. Very helpful to have an idea of the area, no car (on the front end of the trip) and trying to fly in early to explore for the day.

Have a good week!

K