Diabetic - how do you take your insulin before a meal?

rjack22

I am a type 2 diabetic. I was to my doctor today and I am going to have to start taking Humalog (insulin) pen injections twice a day at breakfast and dinner. I am no stranger to taking an injection as I was on first Victoza and then Lantus up until now. So no problem doing the injection, its the timing I worry about.

With the insulin I understand that I will now have to be very careful to take a dose right when I am beginning my meal. Timing is everything. Before it didn't matter. My question to my fellow diabetics is how do you deal with this? On a cruise how do you inject your insulin right when your meal is served? In the dining room, in the buffet? Do you excuse yourself and find the closest bathroom? Sounds awkward. What do you do? Also we are signed up for traditional dining if that makes a difference.

My son is Type 1. He takes his injection at the table with his meal in front of him. He wears separates so it is easy to inject. However if you are in a dress you may need to excuse yourself unless the injection site is into upper leg. We have always encouraged our son to be open about his injections and have never had any problems or adverse comments from others. In fact everyone is very understanding. On his first cruise after diagnosis we told the waiters and they were super. Good luck.

My son is Type 1. He takes his injection at the table with his meal in front of him. He wears separates so it is easy to inject. However if you are in a dress you may need to excuse yourself unless the injection site is into upper leg. We have always encouraged our son to be open about his injections and have never had any problems or adverse comments from others. In fact everyone is very understanding. On his first cruise after diagnosis we told the waiters and they were super. Good luck.

I dont know about the understanding part.

Living with my dad with diabetes and my brother.

We were on a cruise and there was a lady at our table-- who would inject herself then lay the needle on the table. I do NOT understand that. I feel for that part she should have stopped at the bathroom-- injected herself then took care of the needle.

my dad or brother never left needles on the table

Edited by serene56

Here's what I do:

Breakfast - I do room service.

I take my shot once I get breakfast from Room Service. If you want a full breakfast in the dining room or buffet, just have something light delivered.

Sometimes I just pick something up the day before at the buffet to have after my shot.

Dinner - I take my insulin pen with me and once we're seated and have ordered, then I excuse myself and go to the closest restroom. By the time I get back, if the appetizer isn't there, the bread/rolls are there to have a bite of something.

You could also have some type of snack in your room and take your shot before you go to dinner, eat the snack and then you'd be okay.

Most insulin pens say you need to eat within 15 - 20 minutes after the injection, and the above gets me through.

Just read your instructions and see how much time you have.

At dinner, I have also carried a packaged item with me in case the appetizer or salad or whatever doesn't arrive timely. Pull it out and have a bite.

You'll do fine. Just plan ahead.

If you have traditional dining, there are restrooms right at the entrance. Also, along with the previous idea of bringing a snack to dinner, the rolls are usually on the table when you sit down. You could also tell your waiter that you need some kind of food as soon as possible, and he/she could have something like an appetizer ready and waiting for you. We find that traditional dining with a specific waiter each night works well.

Please don't inject yourself at the table unless you're at a table for two. Some people are very queasy about needles, and it could be unsettling for them. DH is diabetic, and he always excuses himself to the restroom.

I am diabetic also and I take insulin at dinner time only. I wasn't sure what to do either. So thank you for starting this...I'm not sure what to do especially wearing a dress. I was going to pick up crackers or something light to take back to my cabin so that I can do it before going to traditional dining. Now that I know there are washrooms right outside, that opens up another option for me. I don't want to hold people up from eating and I certainly don't want to embarrass or make anyone queasy!! That would never be my intention!!! Why would someone leave needles sitting on a table? That's having no respect for their fellow tablemates! First of all, its a pen, leave it attached until you get back to the room. Even though I am diabetic and understand the situation, I would NEVER leave a needle sitting on the table for other people to see!!! I'm sorry but that's disgusting!!! I've been a diabetic for almost 2 years, DH still has never seen me do it, I just excuse myself for 20 seconds. I really look forward for people open with their suggestions concerning this...thanks in advance!

I am a type II and have been 'shooting up' for all that time. From the time I leave my room till I am seated, I have never gone down for the count. We eat anytime dining too. I have only had to wait for a table twice in our 9 cruises and if that happens, I go to the closest bar and get a small glass of tomato juice.

Does everyone's insulin take effect that quickly that you need to start eating right after taking your insulin? I take a regular insulin and seem to be able to stay stable for about 20 minutes before it starts lowering mine.

In any case, it will be easy to deal with, with the restrooms just outside all the dining rooms if one can not take until the last minute.

Enjoy your cruise!

Oh, and you can ask your room stewart for a sharps container if you need one! They will bring one to your room for you.

I am on a pump now, so I can do it discreetly. When I was on shots, I took it right at the table - discreetly. The bathroom is a dirty place and I would never inject there. I do wait until the meal is IN FRONT OF ME as I have been burned pre-blousing in restaurant settings and having delayed meals causing lows.

FYI - I don't ever leave my unopened insulin in the cabin fridge anymore - froze once - they thermostats on the cabin fridges are notoriously bad. I now take my extra unopened insulin tot he medical center and they will gladly hold it for you in their temp controlled fridge which is also on the emergency generator if needed.

Edited by NeurosurgeryNP

I am a type 2 diabetic. I was to my doctor today and I am going to have to start taking Humalog (insulin) pen injections twice a day at breakfast and dinner. I am no stranger to taking an injection as I was on first Victoza and then Lantus up until now. So no problem doing the injection, its the timing I worry about.

With the insulin I understand that I will now have to be very careful to take a dose right when I am beginning my meal. Timing is everything. Before it didn't matter. My question to my fellow diabetics is how do you deal with this? On a cruise how do you inject your insulin right when your meal is served? In the dining room, in the buffet? Do you excuse yourself and find the closest bathroom? Sounds awkward. What do you do? Also we are signed up for traditional dining if that makes a difference.

I am a type II and have been 'shooting up' for all that time. From the time I leave my room till I am seated, I have never gone down for the count. We eat anytime dining too. I have only had to wait for a table twice in our 9 cruises and if that happens, I go to the closest bar and get a small glass of tomato juice.

Does everyone's insulin take effect that quickly that you need to start eating right after taking your insulin? I take a regular insulin and seem to be able to stay stable for about 20 minutes before it starts lowering mine.

In any case, it will be easy to deal with, with the restrooms just outside all the dining rooms if one can not take until the last minute.

Enjoy your cruise!

Oh, and you can ask your room stewart for a sharps container if you need one! They will bring one to your room for you.

I use Novalog myself, the manufacture recommends taking the shot 5 - 10 minutes before eating. And initially that was what my doctor wanted however my 3 hour post glucoses was too high (they had not started to decrease) and my doctor adjusted my time to 30 minutes before eating. What I'm trying to say is since you're just starting, follow your doctors advance and keep him informed of your post sugar levels incase he/she may need to adjust your time for injection. The rest may take care of itself. BTW, if I know that food will not arrive right away I will inject at the table. It can be done very discreetly.

What good advice has been given here! Thanks everyone! My doctor did mention yesterday that I should inject no longer than 10 minutes before eating or preferably when the food is in front of me. I have not received my new insulin yet to see what is on the instructions. It will probably be here today or tomorrow at the latest. I like the idea of injecting prior to leaving my cabin for dinner if I can get away with that. The fact that we have early traditional dining should help I would think because I know there will be no wait for a table. I had been thinking about switching to anytime but now I know I am going to stick with traditional.

It is going to be an adjustment for me to go on this time sensitive insulin. I am used to just injecting at breakfast and then forgetting about it for the rest of the day. This will be my first cruise with a injection. The last cruise I was still only on oral meds.

I'm on a pump now, but when I used short-acting pens, I would inject at the table (even at lunch with colleagues at home).

The needle is long enough to penetrate fabric, so i'd just poke it right through my slacks into my thigh or my blouse into my abdomen. Discreet, yep, my friends rarely even noticed, and other diners sure didn't. Dark fabrics hid the occasional stain.

OK, so I didn't swab with alcohol. If that's what I die from... I've been missing a lot!

I'll add my info to the fray. I always take my shot at the table--beneath the table, through my clothes. I use a pen, the needle is long enough to go through my clothes, either into my stomach or thigh. I carry a small baggie with me, for the pen, a couple of needles and a small pill box to use as a temporary needle disposal (I empty it into the SHARPS container every night). I follow this same procedure whenever I eat out. I don't keep the needle in the pen when it isn't in use, because that could cause a leak.

Restrooms are dirty places, think about it. I'd never, ever give myself a shot in one.

While we are on the subject, do make sure to ask your room steward for a SHARPS container, and use it. I've run across several people who just toss their needles and/or testing strips directly in the waste can, or wrapped in the waste can, which is even worse.

On our most recent cruise, we had early traditional dining. I would take the injection in our cabin just as we would leave for a meal (B/L/D). For dinner, I would eat a roll as soon as we were seated, and that would be fine. We had a terrific waiter and assistant waiter, and I never had any issues with delayed meals. If I did, I would have told the waiter to ensure that the meal was timely.

Off the ship, I discreetly inject at the table (under the table) and if any other folks at surrounding booths/tables have a problem with that, I suggest they look elsewhere.

I second the caution of the room fridge temperature. I purchased the gel carry bags that keep the insulin at even temps. I put the bag in the fridge (it was a two week supply), and the bag froze! The insulin did not freeze, but I would be careful, especially if the cabin steward moves it to refresh the ice bucket.

We always did anytime dining, but I would not do the cabin injection if I had anytime dining. You just can't predict how long of a wait, unless you are there as the doors open.

I hope what you are getting from all of these replies is that you have to determine how your body will react to your new insulin. Try it in the room before you leave, but take quick acting glucose with you (I use tubes of cake frosting). I also recommend not using the restrooms because of the stranger germ factor. Also, on some ships I have been on, they are not "right" outside the dining room door. I have been using insulin when I sail for 25 years now. I'm not always perfect, but with trial and error, have managed to maintain acceptable A1C. Barb

I travel with my injectables in a Frio Cooling Wallet. It is a two part thing. The inner part is crystals which turn to cooling gel when wet. The outer part keeps it dry on the outside. You soak the inner part in cool water for about 20 minutes before putting your insulin/pens in for the first time. When you get where you are going, remove the vial/pen you are using. Keep the rest of your vials/pens in the cooling wallet. You don't keep it in the fridge, and they only have to be recharged every week or so (by being soaked for about 10 min). Easy-peasy.

You can find Frio Cooling Wallets in many different sizes and configurations. I've been using mine for more than five years, so they are sturdy. I got mine from Amazon, but there are many other places to purchase them as well.

M.

Actually I already purchased a Frio wallet a couple of weeks ago. I got it to use with my Lantus but of course it will work with my Humalog also (GRIN)! I got the size that will hold four pens. I haven't tried it yet but I am glad to hear that they work well and also hold up well!

My husband takes his insulin at the table. He holds it at waist level which is pretty much under the table rim. He injects through his shirt and recaps the pen. I know that injecting through his shirt sounds weird but 5 yrs of insulin and many trips later it works. I don't think people even notice.

The thing I am worried about is if I inject through my clothing is getting a spot of blood on my clothes. After all you won't be able to see what you are doing. I have to agree that injecting through your clothing discreetly under the table edge is probably going to be the best solution in a lot of situations. I guess I am just going to have to try different things and see what works for me. And of course, practice makes perfect (smile)!

Maybe you need to practice this if you are worried about it. If you shoot straight in (not moving the needle after it is part way in) and remove it straight (without stopping while removing it) you shouldn't bleed, I'd think. Or you could

dno like I do and always wear dark pants. If you are a girl (but I think you're a boy/man) you could lift your skirt slightly and use your thigh.

Fern

The thing I am worried about is if I inject through my clothing is getting a spot of blood on my clothes. After all you won't be able to see what you are doing. I have to agree that injecting through your clothing discreetly under the table edge is probably going to be the best solution in a lot of situations. I guess I am just going to have to try different things and see what works for me. And of course, practice makes perfect (smile)!
Edited by Mindy97
'cuz I cain't spel gud...

I'm a woman. I can see that I am going to have to pay a lot more attention to what I am wearing when out in public and need to inject!

The good news is that my cruise is a year away and by that time I should be more comfortable with my new injection schedule and procedure by then.

I have always injected into my abdomen. Never have used my thigh or arm. Don't think I would use the arm because in public that would be really obvious to others. But the thigh is a real possibility. Does it hurt more in your thigh than your tummy? I have more fat in my tummy area than on my thighs.

I'm a woman. I can see that I am going to have to pay a lot more attention to what I am wearing when out in public and need to inject!

The good news is that my cruise is a year away and by that time I should be more comfortable with my new injection schedule and procedure by then.

I have always injected into my abdomen. Never have used my thigh or arm. Don't think I would use the arm because in public that would be really obvious to others. But the thigh is a real possibility. Does it hurt more in your thigh than your tummy? I have more fat in my tummy area than on my thighs.

I find it easier to use my belly. When I was pregnant, you couldn't use that area, just arms and legs. Arms were okay but I would always hit something in the leg and had large black and blue areas. That doesn't seem to happen as often in the belly.

I sometimes use my upper arm if I am sitting in an area where I don't have anybody on my direct left side. I put the pen together in my lap. I hold it so that most of it is shielded by my hand when I shoot my left arm, so it isn't that noticeable. . When I am done, it goes back to my lap, where I reattach the needle guard, cap the pen, put the used needle and guard in the pill bottle and put the whole thing back in the baggie. Then it goes in my purse, which either remains on my lap, on a shelf next to the table if I am that lucky, or on the back of my chair. I never put my purse on the floor because (besides the fact that the floor might not be clean) if you put your purse on the floor your money runs out :) I know its an old wives' tale, but hey, it might be true.

M.

I find it easier to use my belly. When I was pregnant, you couldn't use that area, just arms and legs. Arms were okay but I would always hit something in the leg and had large black and blue areas. That doesn't seem to happen as often in the belly.

Oh! Good point! I didn't even think about bruising! I would hate to have a bruise on my thigh that would show in a bathing suit on a cruise!!! Sometimes I bruise on my abdomen but no one sees that (GRIN)!

My doctor won't let me inject in the arm or leg as their isn't enough space for injecting in fatty tissue. Always talk to your doctor about injecting into an area other than the abdomen.