NCL Drydock Schedules

CarlsDad

It appears that NCL ships go into dry dock approximately every 4 years. Jewel and Gem were last docked in 2010 and both appear to be scheduled for dock again this year (2014). Star was last dry docked in 2010 but I'm unable to locate any information regarding an impending dock this year. Any thoughts?

It appears that NCL ships go into dry dock approximately every 4 years. Jewel and Gem were last docked in 2010 and both appear to be scheduled for dock again this year (2014). Star was last dry docked in 2010 but I'm unable to locate any information regarding an impending dock this year. Any thoughts?

I believe the Gem is scheduled for Nov of 2014 and she will be getting some changes. Some cc members think it will be in the Bahamas. Not sure about the Jewel.

Many websites report incorrectly that the Gem was refurbish in 2010 in a drydock... She only had the azipods replaced in a rush to get back at sea.

During that drydock one worker died because a crane fell over...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

No drydock visit scheduled (yet) for the rest of Dawn class and Jewel class ships according to this: http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/norwegian-will-add-osheehans-pub-to-six-more-ships.html

"Norwegian Jewel will be the first to gain a pub during its drydock in May. The remaining Jewel-class vessels—Norwegian Gem, Norwegian Jade and Norwegian Pearl—along with Norwegian Dawn and Norwegian Star, will add O'Sheehan's in the future. The timeframe is still to be determined, a company spokeswoman told Seatrade Insider."

Edited by Demonyte

No drydock visit scheduled (yet) for the rest of Dawn class and Jewel class ships according to this: http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/norwegian-will-add-osheehans-pub-to-six-more-ships.html

"Norwegian Jewel will be the first to gain a pub during its drydock in May. The remaining Jewel-class vessels—Norwegian Gem, Norwegian Jade and Norwegian Pearl—along with Norwegian Dawn and Norwegian Star, will add O'Sheehan's in the future. The timeframe is still to be determined, a company spokeswoman told Seatrade Insider."

I did see this article from Seatrade. The Blue Lagoon is a much better idea than O'Sheehans on the older ships. It'll make the atrium a noisy loud place to go and it will compete with the live entertainment they have there nightly. I wonder if Moderno's placement is going to be moved as well in Jewel's dry dock so that O'Sheehans takes up the entire upper atrium area on those ships? :cool: There was talk of moving Moderno up opposite of Cagneys on the older ships so that would make sense.

I wonder if Moderno's placement is going to be moved as well in Jewel's dry dock so that O'Sheehans takes up the entire upper atrium area on those ships? :cool: There was talk of moving Moderno up opposite of Cagneys on the older ships so that would make sense.

Yes, the original discussion about two or three weeks ago was exactly about this (upgrading Blue Lagoon to O'Sheehan's).

Moderno will move to deck 13 on both Dawn class and Jewel class ships - the exact location (whether it will replace Star Bar or not) is still unknown.

Edited by Demonyte

When we were on the Sun recently, Leah (the concierge) told us they will be converting the Observation Lounge to suites. Not sure of when but it's going to happen.

Not a big surprise there - the Observation Lounge was basically empty and never used for any shows, etc.

We were on the Sun in Alaska this past June. The Observation Lounge was so quiet but it was the best place to see the whales & the ports coming up. We loved spending our time in the Observation Lounge. :(

I'm wondering when they're going to put cabins in the Asian restaurant? Most of the time Chin Chin has no one in it! It's a huge waste of space and they could turn it into another eatery which is more popular.

Better yet, make Chin Chin a full Asian fusion restaurant.

Actually, I think they should:

1. Change the name of East Meets West to Cagney's

2. Move Moderno to the Chin Chin location

3. Move Chin Chin to the Moderno location (and add the full Asian menu)

4. Update Il Adagio (it's been 3 years since we were on the Sun and the upholstery still looks terrible!)

• 2 months later...
Sailing on the Sun next year --- when was the last time the ship was in drydock?

I saw on cruise deck plans that "The ship last major refurbishment was in 2011." So she's due for another in 2015? Does anyone know for sure?

Edited by dobiemom

There has never been a need to replace the Spinnaker on Jewel class ships as they already do have more suites (having smaller GV and 10+ additional suites in Haven) than Dawn class ships had.

Edited by Demonyte

• 6 months later...

Just got off the Star (Panama Canal 13 nights of fabulous!), and we were told over and over the Star will be in Portland Oregon, MY HOMETOWN, for 2 weeks in March 2015 for a drydock. I found this thread trying to find more info. We would love to watch her sail into town down the Columbia River!!

Any more info, please post!! THANKS