majesty in st. george's- inconvenient?

jimanne

I'm booked for the oct. 23, 2005 cruise to bermuda, we are docked the entire trip in st. georges, which I love, but is it hard and expensive to get around bermuda from there? any suggestions for excursions, I like to snorkle and kyack,

does anybody know if there is an eco kyack offered on board?

I'm booked for the oct. 23, 2005 cruise to bermuda, we are docked the entire trip in st. georges, which I love, but is it hard and expensive to get around bermuda from there? any suggestions for excursions, I like to snorkle and kyack,

Bermuda is a built up island and very modern. Its neither expensive nor difficult to get around the island by public transportation. The buses are fine the ferries have terrible shcedules from St George but they are available- although not frequent. You are near two very nice beaches- Tobacco bay and Fort St Catherines- both within walking distance(15 minutes) or you can take a 6-7 dollar for two cab ride. both are good for snorkeling. Also the carriage house is a good restuarant for the Dina A shore program. The dock where you dock is where some of the excursions leave from....

On our recent Majesty cruise, we had two groups go snorkeling. One took the ship's excursion, which went to a new place for them, and it was not very good. Another group took the short walk (up and down hill) to Tobacco Bay, and had a great day. They found lots of fish near the swimming area, but swam out and in back of the beach area, and had a great time. The area is actually between Tobacco Bay and fort Catherines. I wish I had known they were going there that day, as I would have given them the dog biscuits I brought for the occasion. We were advised to do that last year at the private island, and we instantly had hundreds of fish around us. We also had the canned cheese that you squirt out, and they loved that too.

thanks for info, bus and ferrie pass is probably the best bet. the beach between tobacco and st, catherine's is achilles bay, I was there 5 years ago, very private with a good caffe up above. thanks anne

We had a group of 15, and travelled in various numbers of people at any given time. For our purposes, the taxi's seemed to work the best. The group travelling to Hamilton on Wed. night, to see the street fair and visit the city, found as advertised, that the bus was crowded, and was very much "the local" vs express. It made many stops along the way, so price wise, it's a great alternative, but if pressed for time, then the taxi was our choice. With so much going on, and with plenty of people to share the expense, it just turned out the taxi worked best for us. The other factor was that when we arrived, we already had Tuesday planned for a 4 hr. taxi tour, others were on a golf excursion, and the 3rd group went off to Fort Catherines and the beach. Accordinlgy the 3 day bus pass was not an option.

Our group of 13 includes many snorkellers and we are pretty much going to live at the beaches near St George. Walk there in the morning, snorkel, go back to the boat for lunch, return to beach, snorkel rest of the day :) Who could ask for anything more!

Archived