Excursions in Santorini

Ewoodspark

I am looking for advice about the NCL 3 hour excursion to Oia and Fira. Bearing in mind that this port is tendered, the idea of taking an excursion (even though it costs $59) seems a better idea that waiting to get off the ship and queueing up for the cable car to get up the hill to Fira. Just wondered if the trip is worthwhile or not?

Having been a couple times I would spend an extra $10 and do the 4 hour tour "Charming Oia & Winery" the winery has a gift shop not overpriced but the views are just spectacular. They also have amazing seating area tables, lounges, umbrella's just sit a while away the time and also wine tasting of all sorts. Then you'' ll have time to explore Santorini before heading back to ship.

Beware that the queue back could take an hour so watch to see how many ships are in port.

If you tell me the exact date your in Santorini I can look it up.

Edited by Ilovesailing

Having been a couple times I would spend an extra $10 and do the 4 hour tour "Charming Oia & Winery" the winery has a gift shop not overpriced but the views are just spectacular. They also have amazing seating area tables, lounges, umbrella's just sit a while away the time and also wine tasting of all sorts.

Thanks for that info. A winery visit when not a cruise would sound OK, but there seems no point in testing and buying wine when you cannot take it back on board to drink

It more about the scenery, relaxation and soaking up the warmth, we never buy the wine because don't want to drag it home but it is good and even better when it's free.

we've been to this winery back in it's early stages of starting out back in late 80"s and to see where it is today it just unreal.

Bottom line to each their own!

I am looking for advice about the NCL 3 hour excursion to Oia and Fira. Bearing in mind that this port is tendered, the idea of taking an excursion (even though it costs $59) seems a better idea that waiting to get off the ship and queueing up for the cable car to get up the hill to Fira. Just wondered if the trip is worthwhile or not?

We did this trip and loved it. Guide was very informative and allowed enough free time at stops. Much better way to get off ship!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We did this trip and loved it. Guide was very informative and allowed enough free time at stops. Much better way to get off ship!

Thanks for that information. Just curious about the set up. Was it a coach waiting at the tender dock to take you to Oia and then the coach taking you to Fira after spending some time in Oia. Were you then given a cable car ticket to get down to the dock after spending some time in Fira?

Thanks for that information. Just curious about the set up. Was it a coach waiting at the tender dock to take you to Oia and then the coach taking you to Fira after spending some time in Oia. Were you then given a cable car ticket to get down to the dock after spending some time in Fira?

Yes, coach waiting for trip to Oia (ps tender was also well organised). We had enough free time to wander there before the coach returned us to Fira. The guide then provided the cable car ticket. We were fortunate to have a late arrival/evening departure in Santorini so when we got back into Fira, we made reservations to have dinner watching the sunset rather than joining the queues for the cable car. Amazing experience and I would therefore do it all exactly the same if I returned. Enjoy

Having been a couple times I would spend an extra $10 and do the 4 hour tour "Charming Oia & Winery" the winery has a gift shop not overpriced but the views are just spectacular. They also have amazing seating area tables, lounges, umbrella's just sit a while away the time and also wine tasting of all sorts. Then you'' ll have time to explore Santorini before heading back to ship.

Beware that the queue back could take an hour so watch to see how many ships are in port.

If you tell me the exact date your in Santorini I can look it up.

We did the Oia and Winery tour and were glad we did. Others in our group did their own thing and never got out of Fira. The buses were full, no taxis available, etc.