perks for mini suite

ashmac8

Yes, as Beaver said, no perks, just a large balcony. However, on our recent cruise we met folks who had booked a mini-suite and were given a great upgrade opportunity to a suite. I'd guess they'd booked the highest category mini-suite and the suites had not sold out. Didn't happen to me when we booked one, though, and I imagine that is a rare occurrence.

Edited by HokiePoq

I have read a few reviews where mini-suite holders were unaware of the fact that they got no real perks and were unhappy. However, NCL makes it clear that these cabins do not get anything, per se, but they really need to rename them Deluxe balcony or some such thing to avoid confusion.

Really a deluxe balcony.

An alternate search is to use "cruisecritic.com" in your search terms via google, etc.

great tip.

Thanks for the insight guys. Was playing around with rooms this morning. This intell is helpful.

Nope, no perks. Just a slighly larger room and balcony.

And I am sure others will be along to tell you about NCL's unethical marketing practices in using the term "mini suite".

I believe the reason they call it a mini-suite is because there is a thin curtain that can be drawn between the bed and sitting area.

NCL makes it absolutely CLEAR that there are no special perks if you look at their website. There is nothing unethical about calling it a "mini-suite".

And I am sure others will be along to tell you about NCL's unethical marketing practices in using the term "mini suite".

Im sneaking on here at work and saw this. Laughed out loud in my office!

So funny! Thanks for that!!:D

i apologize. No search function is a bummer!!

If you book a mini suite do you get any perks? Concierge? Butler?

Just curious.

NCL is not the only line that uses the term mini suite with no perks. I booked one on RC but new full well that it was just a bigger space and balcony and that is what I paid for.

I believe the reason they call it a mini-suite is because there is a thin curtain that can be drawn between the bed and sitting area.

Your belief is incorrect. Mini-suites used to have concierge access but that was cut already eons ago.

Some do have a bath tube with shower rather than just a shower!

Yes, I understand the bathroom is a little larger and also has a bathtub. I'll remember to bring the bubbles :p We have our first mini-suite booked for April, being it's a two week cruise. I am hoping the balcony is a little larger, not expecting much else plus the price was the same as the balcony is now.

Sue

Your belief is incorrect. Mini-suites used to have concierge access but that was cut already eons ago.

Perhaps the mini-suites did have concierge access at some point, or perhaps they didn't - that wasn't the point of my response.

I was referring to the fact they may be referred to as "mini-suites" because there is a "separation" between the living area and sleeping area. *Most* suites have separate (to some small degree) sleeping/sitting areas.

Regular balcony cabins do not have that "separation" and are a bit smaller.

THAT was my point.

Perhaps the mini-suites did have concierge access at some point, or perhaps they didn't - that wasn't the point of my response.

I was referring to the fact they may be referred to as "mini-suites" because there is a "separation" between the living area and sleeping area. *Most* suites have separate (to some small degree) sleeping/sitting areas.

THAT was my point.

As someone who requires separate sleeping areas in our suite, it is surprising how many suites, NCL included, do not have separation between the living/bedroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL. Oh yes. Incoming!

P.S. I think you get a bathtub in a mini suite too, but I'm not sure.

THAT was my point.

Yes, it has a curtain (at least on Dawn class and Jewel class ships) but the curtain is not the reason for the name. Having a curtain somewhere does in no way indivate that a cabin would be a suite - as other poster also replied. Suites have extra perks besides the amenities built-in to the cabin - mini-suites did have perks too when they were originally named as mini-suites. Now the perk is gone but the name stuck.

THAT was my point.

THAT was my point.

Not all mini suites have the curtain.

NCL balcony cabins used to have some additional perks but they were never called suites.

I didn't know that, do please tell us what suite perks balconies had.

There have been some amenities available for higher category cabins (like fridge/minibar, coffee maker, robes, etc) but I've never known that there were some suite-like perks like Concierge access for lower categories than *suites also.

We had a mini suite in 2005 I think and had concierge service. We also had priority boarding and we in a room with drinks and food beforehand with other suite passengers. We also had a bath in the cabin I think. I know it's all changed as I booked a MS for this summer and my parents booked a PH and (my mistake for not checking) I didn't realise the difference. One thing in particular we wouldn't have been able to have breakfast with them at Cagneys. In the end we upgraded to a PH which is what we were considering in the first place. So after 20 something cruises I should have known better - still all sorted now :cool:

I did have a Junior Suite on RC (which is similar to a MS) - there are no real perks at all except priority boarding in those cabins, but it was quite a bit more in cost. In hindsight I should have paid for a grand suite. I personally think the word 'suite' is slightly misleading, but as someone else has said they all seem to do it so I guess it's the bookers fault for not reading the information available. Still not to worry :p

I didn't know that, do please tell us what suite perks balconies had.

There have been some amenities available for higher category cabins (like fridge/minibar, coffee maker, robes, etc) but I've never known that there were some suite-like perks like Concierge access for lower categories than *suites also.

Balcony cabins have never any "suite" like perks. The only "suite" like perk to be taken away from passengers was the elimination of Concierge access for the mini suites.