Shuttle bus tours in Denali

chrob

We will be in Denali in the middle of August and are hoping to take the first or second shuttle bus of the day.

Do we need to reserve seats on the bus or can we book on the day?

If you try to walk up and get on bus in mid Aug, you will probably not get on. Some tickets are held until two days before, but the rest are all advance sold. Buy them in advance. There is not a big penalty fee for a change, I think they charge $6. Otherwise, it is a long way to drive and not get to see denali. That should be the reason and highlight for being in that area of Alaska.

I agree on advance reservations since you'll have a guarantee. Since the Eielson Visitor Center is closed for remodeling, your best trip is probably roundtrip shuttle to Fish Creek. Weather permitting (always a consideration), you get a great view of Denali/Mt McKinley. The roundtrip lasts at least 6hrs so bring your own snacks and water.

If for some reason the shuttles are booked, the concessionaire tour isn't bad at all although it will cost you more.

I agree, you will get no walk up seats on a shuttle bus (tour buses totally different) unless you can spare a couple days.

But for clairficaiton ALL buses have 35% of their seats held back. These are released at 7am 2 days before. I have picked up seats twice this way- with every bus available and no problem getting seats.

Archived