Pharmacy

JJS2K3

Don't know about a pharmicia in Progreso, but there is one in Belize at the tourist village where the tenders drop you off. The prices are reasonable unless you have prescription insurance, then the prices are high. Be careful with what you bring back to the states. If you do not have a prescription for the meds you buy then they may be confiscated.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Progresso is a popular day trip from Harlingen, TX. I read a webpage of a retiree who detailed their trip. He said the pharmacies all had signs for *****, etc. I read various sites for information about getting prescriptions in Mexico. I read that you're supposed to get only 60 doses per drug and should leave them in their original containers. It sounds as though prescription drugs are readily available there. I would imagine that if they're advertising it that they'd have sufficient supply.

A family we know stocks up on their prescriptions when they go to Cozumel. Even though the website for that pharmacy says some things require a script, I know that they don't have a script for one of the one of the things they bought but appears on the "must have script" list. That was last Spring Break, so it wasn't that long ago.

I'm looking for something my doc prescribed but insurance won't cover. I can save $15 per bottle, which is certainly worthwhile.

I'm sure most people would have much better luck in Merida than in the small town of Progreso. Progreso has a population of 45,000 (seems much smaller) but Merida population is 900,000 and the state capitol. There's even a beautiful Walmart in Merida but I didn't look to see if they had a pharmacy.

Jay, Belize is the place to go. My last cruise Carnival even promoted it. There is a former Wal-Mart pharmacist there who opened her own pharmacy after moving to Belize. I will look through my old cruise info from that cruise and see if I can find it. I will post it on our 9/26 thread.

Patti

Progresso is a popular day trip from Harlingen, TX.

Don't confuse them! The Progreso you refer to is just across the Rio Grande from Weslaco, Texas. :) I know, I've been there many times, since I grew up in McAllen.

The Progreso on these threads is in the Yucatan. I've also been there, about 10 years ago when we took a trip to Merida.

As for getting prescriptions in Mexico in general, I don't have a problem getting things with or without a script, but sometimes it is helpful, esp. if you only have the name the manufacturer gave the drug & not the name of it.

You can look up any medication on line and get the generic name. Generics are usually cheaper. In most pharmacys in Mexico somethings are on racks that you can pick from and some are behind the counter and you have to ask for them. I have never had any trouble getting anything we needed while in Mexico. They are not as cheap as they used to be so if you have insurance I wouln't bother.

Stella

• 3 weeks later...

Archived