Formal Attire

Beachbum1944

No you can go to the buffet instaed. However if you want to eat in the MDR on formal nights, there is an expectation to dress smarter. Very few will wear a tux or long bown, but most will make an effort. However this does vary depending on the ship and itinerary.

I would like to know if you have to wear formal attire on formal nights? If so, I would have to look at some other cruise line.

Thanks,

Here is the description from MSC Daily Program for the "Suggested Dress Code for the Evening" from 18:00.

GALA: Ladies: dressy outfit, formal gown or cocktail dress. Gentlemen: tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit and tie.

INFORMAL: Ladies: informal dress or trousers and blouse. Gentlemen: jacket and trousers (no jeans).

CASUAL: Ladies: dress, trousers suit or sporty outfit. Gentlemen: t-shirt, trousers or jeans.

THEME PARTY: Indications of how to dress will be provided in the Daily Program on the day of the event.

MSC continued: tank-tops, bikini, bathrobes and bare feet in any indoor restaurants or buffet areas are not permitted at any time. No shorts in restaurants for dinner.

Hope this answers your question.

I would like to know if you have to wear formal attire on formal nights? If so, I would have to look at some other cruise line.

Thanks,

Shirt tie and pants were acceptable on the Caribbean cruises. Not as stuffy as the European side. That is what I wore. And why should you have to eat in the buffet. Go and enjoy your meal.

It also says suggested dress. Not mandatory. :)

There are 2 formal nights. All other nights are casual or theme. No informal. Theme consist of Italian night, 60-80s night and white night.

Edited by Bosjoe

A good fleet of ships that can get you out to sea without having to dress respectfully is with UPS, or the Alaska Ranger Ocean Fishery company.

You might be surprised. Some of the more traditional merchant sea captains are known to have formal dinners when all officers are required to be in their no. 1 uniiforms.

T.

Beachbum1944

Summers in the Caribbean rarely gets below 80 at night, and it's always humid, and now imagine sitting in one of the restaurants filled with over a thousand people eating hot food!

Enjoy your cruise, the way you want, you paid for it!

There is never humid and hot in the restaurants, and because of AC you could use long sleeves. Most women bring their sweaters, shawls or pashminas to prevent being cold.:rolleyes:

Didn't mean to start a controversy, but I am used to NCL and never have to pack a suit. Wanted to try a new cruise line, but I don't think it is worth the trouble to bring a suit.Ship looks great but I guess I will go on NCL Breakaway.

You will be fine with no suit, I wouldn't give up this ship. I did not wear a suit. 1st formal I wore slacks shirt and tie. 2nd khakis , shirt. I will tell you formal night it was very warm in the dining room and a lot of men did have their jackets off prior to entering the dining room. Usually I am the hot one, but my table mates were from the UK, and it was very warm to them, with the wife wiping her brow with the napkin.

Enjoy whatever you do. You would be more then welcome at my table, and many others. He'll I wore really nice shorts and a polo shirt one night, but I did ask my table mates and staff. Only one that matter to me were my table mates, I actually said I was going to the buffet, but was being courteous I was not coming to dinner, I was wearing shorts and didn't feel like changing. They said stay I said are you sure I'm wearing shorts. They said it's your vacation and who's going to see your legs under the table.

Edited by Bosjoe

You will be fine with no suit, I wouldn't give up this ship. I did not wear a suit. 1st formal I wore slacks shirt and tie. 2nd khakis , shirt. I will tell you formal night it was very warm in the dining room and a lot of men did have their jackets off prior to entering the dining room. Usually I am the hot one, but my table mates were from the UK, and it was very warm to them, with the wife wiping her brow with the napkin.

Wow it was so warm that people just eating were sweating...how much sweat was dripping off the wait staff.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Wow it was so warm that people just eating were sweating...how much sweat was dripping off the wait staff.

Sent from my Nexus 7

There was a couple of nights that seemed very warm. I didn't pay to much attention as I was facing the wall and table mates. But it was defiantly warm in the dining room and the bar area to the centrum area prior to the dining room opening.

To MotownVoice Your receipt gives you no rights to tell others what to do, its not your boat either!

To Kunapets Wear what you want, who cares, cause it sounds like you're angry at Carnival!

To Beachbum1944 Listen to Bosjoe, he's recently done an excellent review on the Divina, as for the others, ignore them, and their attitudes, they're insignificant! Like I said enjoy your cruise!