Where do the ships dock?

RabidDolly

I was just wondering where do the cruise ships dock in Key West and if anybody knows about Nassau Bahamas as well. I was wondering this so that I can research about getting taxi's to where I need to go.

Thanks [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

~~RabidDolly

Carnival Jubilee 6/12/04

Ships dock either by Mallory Square or at the Naval Station; I think all the Carnival ships use the Naval Station. Then they take you into the heart of Old Town via trolley or conch train. Most of KW attractions can be reached by walking or renting bikes--not sure you'll need a taxi unless you're heading someplace on the other side of the island. If you tell me what your plans are in KW, I can be more specific.
All ships dock in the same place in Nassau. It's a short walk from the pier to the tourism center and there are always tons of cabs waiting just outside. There are also lots of hair braiders, etc who can be pretty aggresive, so be aware. What are your plans for Nassau? Been there, too, so maybe I can help.
Have a great time, whatever you do!

Shirley
cruising-courtesy-kindness

Family Cruise on Fascination . . . May 3, 2004

NCL Majesty 11/98
CCL Ecstasy 1/01
CCL Fascination 11/01
CCL Fascination 4/03
RCI Majesty of the Seas 8/03
CCL Imagination 12/03
CCL Fascination 5/04

Well I'm not exactly sure yet what I want to do. We dock in KW at 7am - 3pm then we will dock at Nassau at 1pm - 12 midnight. Crazy hours I know. I was thinking of maybe seeing the aquarium, the butterfly thing, and/or the Hemingway house (I love cats). From what I've been reading on these boards that going to the beach or even snorkeling in KW wouldn't be as nice as Nassau.

In Nassau were definately wanting to snorkel and maybe thinking of doing this at the Atlantis Hotel on that beach that is close to them. Were wanting to go through the dig and then maybe to the snorkeling or vise versa. The trouble is finding the times to snorkel. Most places sail out and and sail at certain times. I guess snorkeling first then doing the dig late would be a better idea.

So I guess my questions are... Does this sound like good ideas? What type of transportation on Nassau will I need to do in order to get these activities done? And what other things would you suggest?

Thanks for all your help! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

~~RabidDolly

Carnival Jubilee 6/12/04

I've been to the aquarium and I suggest you don't waste your time or money. Hemingway House is great and an easy walk from Mallory Square--about half an hour at a stroll. The lighthouse museum is right across the street, so you might think about that as well. The butterfly conservatory is on Duval (one street over from Whitehead) and a couple of blocks further down than Hemingway. My suggestion would be to walk down Duval to the Southernmost Point, take some pictures, walk back to the butterfly conservatory (they open at 9:00), then head over to the Hemingway House from there. That should pretty much take up your morning, have some lunch, do some shopping and head back to your ship around 2:00. We are doing a similar itinerary when we go to KW 5/4, but skipping Heminingway's.
As for Nassau, I strongly suggest you look into Stuart Cove's snorkel trip. We did this snorkel last summer and it was great. Not sure how it will work for you time wise, but you should look into it. They take care of transportation and it's a great price. If that works out, head over to Atlantis after that. I've read that if you show up kind of late (after 4:30/5:00), you can get into the dig for free. So if you can't do a snorkel excursion, heading out to the beach first and doing the dig second would probably be the better plan. You do need to take a taxi to Atlantis--there are water taxis or you can grab a car by the tourism center. You should check the Nassau board for prices.
I'll let you know how the butterfly conservatory is when I get back--I see you sail after me. Hope all this helps and I'm happy to answer more questions if I can.

Shirley
cruising-courtesy-kindness

Family Cruise on Fascination . . . May 3, 2004

NCL Majesty 11/98
CCL Ecstasy 1/01
CCL Fascination 11/01
CCL Fascination 4/03
RCI Majesty of the Seas 8/03
CCL Imagination 12/03
CCL Fascination 5/04

Archived