Bicycles in Key West???

RabidDolly

I've heard on this board that you can rent a bike in Key West. Is this true, where do you rent them at? Are there many hills on Duval St. or is it and easy ride? Can you rent like scooters and stuff? Something small and cheap? I know this sounds like a silly question. And don't get me wrong I don't mind walking its just that we may not have enough time to walk and do everything were wanting to do. I hope someone can help.

Thanks

Happy Cruisin' to you!! icon_wink.gif

~~RabidDolly

Carnival Jubilee 6/2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;6;12;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Clay, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can rent bikes by Mallory Square for $10 for the day. You can also rent motor scooters and mopeds, but I'm not sure on the cost for those. There are no hills in KW, anywhere. You will find bikes are a common form of transportation in KW.

Shirley

cruising-courtesy-kindness

Family Cruise on Fascination . . . May 3, 2004

NCL Majesty 11/98

CCL Ecstasy 1/01

CCL Fascination 11/01

CCL Fascination 4/03

RCI Majesty of the Seas 8/03

CCL Imagination 12/03

CCL Fascination 5/04

I beg to differ...there is so a hill in Key West...its name is Solares Hill and its the highest point on the island...I think it is six feet above sea level<grin> Anyway, shirlygr is right..there are no hills worth worrying about!

Regarding rental bikes, there are a number of places in town that rent bikes. I looked at www.keywest.com (a site worth visiting) and found Paradise Bikes and Scooter...they claim to be the closest to the cruise ships - they are in the 400 block of Duval at the Holiday Inn La Concha - anyway, I suspect the Hilton right at the docks has someone who rents bikes too. But here is the webaddress for Paradise Bikes - there is a 4 buck off coupon on scotter rentals on the site:

http://www.paradisescooterrentals.com/home.htm

have a good visit!

Clay - a key west local

• 3 weeks later...

not sure exactly how much scooters cost but prob more in the 25-35 dollar range plus gas of course. Unless you are planning on circumnavigating the island, a bike will get you everywhhere you really want to go. Most places have scooter parking nearby just as most places have a bike rack.

You do need to keep in mind that the city has started cracking down on illegablly parked bikes, so don't chain it up to a tree or light post, find a bike rack. Trust me I dont like the new crackdown, its redicousous in a town like this where a bike is really the best transportation but thats city govt for ya.

Clay

• 6 years later...

You can rent bikes, but they have electric buggies that you can take around town and keep things as green as a bike. The seat 4 and are a blast. Also you can walk and save the dough as it is easy to see a lot of the city by foot in a short amount of time.

Also check out the Conch Train. It's a tour that will take you around and show you the town, give you the history and you will still have time to walk around after the tour and see the stuff you want to see, because you'll have a bunch of local knowledge from the tour.

Enjoy the wharf too.

Archived