Stateroom choice

Jaylie

My DH gets motion sick but does well with Bonine. My question is, if we can't get a stateroom midship, is their less motion in the back of the ship rooms or in the front of the ship? Thanks.

I would say you are better off psychologically aft than forward.

Aft moves differently to forward in very high seas.

Far aft can get some unusual cabin vibrations though.

But then again I dont think it matters where you are on a modern cruise ship if you are prone to motion sickness in light seas! Even the captain can get seasick in high seas and I doubt he is prone to seasickness.

For some strange reason all of the most expensive cabins are either far forward and high or far aft and high! This I presume was not a design oversight but a measure purely put in place so the lowest paying passengers can secure a low midship cabin and not encounter seasickness whilst the ones paying out the most are sick as dogs and spending nothing:D:D:D

I have to agree that the front is more likely to bear the brunt of rough seas, the back would feel it differently - that being said I have had a cabin over looking the helipad after 2 midship locations and I didn't notice too much more movement. The was more noise/vibration when docking due to the thrusters but that didn't concern me too much.

Hope you can manage to get a midship though!

Jo :)

Try to get low. The pitch and roll is more pronounced on higher decks, and the farther forward or aft you go. So low and center. That is generally the best place. I don't get motion sick, and I agree the ship moves differently in front than back. But personally I find the motion in front better as, in my opinion, it seems a bit "harder," and less of a "roll." But that is certainly my opinion only and again, I don't get motion sickness. The common opinion is that aft is better than forward. But I would really look more at low versus high deck.

Lower decks mid-ship are your best bet if you are worried about motion sickness. IMO, (and from my experience,) Deck 4 off the centrum is the sweet spot;):) That is, on ships with Centrums. On ships with the Royal Promenade, just go with mid-ship.

Edited by KeywestK

My DH gets motion sick but does well with Bonine. My question is, if we can't get a stateroom midship, is their less motion in the back of the ship rooms or in the front of the ship? Thanks.

I too get motion sickness and take Bonine. We always stay mid-ship or toward aft and have stayed primarily on decks 7 & 8 (Voyager class) and have not had any problems.