Just few GRAND questions

ijkh

Has anyone sailed the Grand in the Med that is willing to part with the following information:

Who is the CD now? and how is he doing? morning show ok?

What movies are being shown on the MUTS? was it easy to get tickets? was it any fun or too cold?

Did they offer the Ultimate Balcony Dinner on this sailing? Did anyone partake?

Did anyone do any of the "elite" tours? Were they worthy of their title?

How were the lobsters this time? plentiful ;) ?

I may have a few more questions forgive me in advance

Thank you all so much,

Ilene

It is refered in the cruise tour book called adventures ashore as the "Elite Collection".

Anyone with some answers or do I have to post on the Europe board?

It sorta bugs me when people are full of questions before they leave and then forget to answer others questions. I promise I won't do that!

Please answers at least to the who is the cruise director question. come on these questions aren't too hard and I promise to grade on a curve. ;)

Ilene,

I'm about sail on the Grand departing on the 25th July. I will try and answer as many of your questions as I can once I'm on board.

I'm hoping to book the Ultimate Balcony dinner as a belated gift for my in-laws who both celebrate their birthday and 54th Anniversary tomorrow (24th).

I won't be able to help you with Question 5, as I'm not planning on taking any tours this time.

If it is okay with you I'll wait until they have had their meal (assuming it is available) ~ I've had the chance to look at the morning show ~ see how well attended MUTS is each evening etc. before replying.

I've sent myself an email link to this thread so I should be able to find it quite quickly when replying.

Laura

Dotty,

Here is an example of an Elite Tour. It is more upscale.

ZWD-E - $359, 12-1/2 hours - Elite Collection - A Visit to Berlin

Berlin is one of the main cultural focal points of Europe. This tour provides the opportunity to experience some unique places of interest as well as the main highlights of this beautiful city. YOUR CHARTERED TRAIN TRIP: Board a special train carriage only for the participants on this particular excursion directly at the pier and travel in comfort through the countryside on your approximately 2 1/2 hour train ride. A host/hostess will pass out information about Berlin and the places you will visit along with pillows, newspapers and tea or coffee; a complimentary snack box and mineral water are provided on the return. WHAT YOU VISIT: Museum Island - The five museums on the Museumsinsel (Museum Island) were built between 1824 and 1930 and today are considered by UNESCO as a World Heritage site. The importance of the museum's collections - which trace the development of civilizations throughout the ages - is enhanced by the urban and architectural quality of the buildings. Pergamon Museum - One of Europe's most impressive museums, this internationally renowned museum of ancient history houses spectacular works of archaeological antiquities including collections of Greek, Assyrian, Islamic and Far Eastern art. Several fantastic artifacts of a size rarely found indoors, including the huge Altar of Zeus and the famous Ishtar Gate from Babylon, are part of your 60-minute self-guided acoustic tour of the museum. Berlin Cathedral - Just recently reopened, this Cathedral was built at the turn of the 19th-century as the court church for Germany’s Imperial family, the Hohenzollerns. The cathedral is the largest and most beautiful protestant church also used for concerts and performances and you will be treated to a special organ recital during your visit. Brandenburg Gate - The end of the Cold War meant that Berliners and visitors could once again enjoy this majestic triumphal arch which once was a symbol of the division between East and West. The Gate today has been restored to its original splendor.

PHOTO OPPORTUNITIES: Checkpoint Charlie - Russian and American tanks once faced off at this former border crossing between East and West Berlin. Reichstag - Originally constructed from 1884 to 1894 to house the parliament of the newly-founded German State the building underwent renovations in the 1990s and today the glass dome is one of the cities major landmarks. Charlottenburg Palace - The oldest surviving Prussian Palace in Germany was begun in 1695 and completed in 1790. The largest palace of Germany's Imperial family, the Hohenzollerns, the building has more than 60 rooms and corridors and is surrounded by formal gardens. East Side Gallery - Some of the last remnants of the Berlin Wall are preserved here. LUNCH: Situated next-door to the State Opera House, the Opernpalais, built in 1733-37 as the city residence of Friedrich III's three daughters, the building was long referred to as the "Princess' Palace." Enjoy a special luncheon surrounded by its old-world charm. WHAT YOU SEE ALONG THE WAY: Upon arrival in Berlin, board your motorcoach for a narrated drive through the city. Begin in former East Berlin, where you view the East Side Wall Gallery, State Library, Humboldt University, Alexanderplatz and the exquisite, tree-lined Unter der Linden. Continue to the western sector, heart of historic Berlin, where you drive by the Victory Column, Bellevue Palace, Congress Hall, the Kurfurstendamm and the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church. Drive to the old Jewish Quarter, passing the newly gilded Synagogue before returning to the train station. SPECIAL NOTES: The train ride between Warnemunde and Berlin is approximately 2- 1/2 to 3 hours each way. The Brügge Museum will be visited on Monday calls as the Pergamon Museum is closed. Tour order may vary.

Hi Ilene... DH and I were on the 6/7 sailing. We had a wonderful roll call for our cruise... nd, we had a fantastic time with all the cruisecritic passengers. I hope you're 9/11 sailing is as great as our's was. Now to your questions...

2. The CD for our sailing was Janet Edwards... we actually sailed with her on Sitmar. It was a great reunion. And, she is great!

3. Movies Under the Stars were: Ray, Wedding Date, National Treasure, Shall We Dance, Meet The Fockers, Monster's Inc., Sideways, Finding Neverland, Oceans 12, Plots With a View. Considering the temps during the day, I would imagine the temps at night were nice. Can't tell you first hand because we had late dinner and we turned in most nights within a 1/2 hour after dinner ended. Those early tours made for early nights.

4. They did offer the Ultimate Balcony Dinner and some of our friends did it and loved it... said it was wonderful.

5. Can't help you with ship tours... we did private tours.

6. The lobsters were very good. Our waiters brought us 2nds. The night they had lobster, they also had beef wellington so I had both... surf & turf.

Enjoy your cruise...

Sandy

Ilene: We were also on the 6/7 sailing of the Grand. Like Sandy, we also did private tours so can't really help you with the "elite tour" questions. As for the lobster, all 7 in our party had 2nds in addition to sharing orders of the beef wellington. Lobster Thermidour [ SP ???] was also offered one evening.

We did the shows in the theater but did notice the staff putting blankets on the lounges each evening for MUTS shows.

Sandy thanks for the movie list. I cut and pasted to the 5 others in our group so we can plan our summer's movie renting to avoid those ;)

Laura lol,

Thank you for offering your up date. When you get home be sure along with restarting the mail, and doing laundry write us a little up date on your trip. I look forward to it and wish you lovely weather.

Ilene

Archived