ship's last cruise syndrome?

lancet

Wife and I are booked on a B2B Century cruise March/April 2015: Singapore to Dubai to Rome, and it seems that it is likely Century's last cruise with Celebrity. In businesses, school and many other times, the last week of employment etc a 'the hell with it' attitude develops. Has anyone been on the Horizon or Zenith or Galaxy and Mercury ship on it's last celebrity cruise? Did service, food, attitude and maintenance fall apart? Or they keep the good reputation intact? Also did Celebrity do anything extra on the farewell cruise (not the OBC which has been done). I hope the last days on the job syndrome is not the rule.

Thanks for your input

Lancet

I haven't been on the last cruise of any ship, but most of the crew will be reassigned to other Celebrity ships at the end of their tour-- it's not like they're all losing their jobs. I would think this is incentive enough for them to provide the usual standard of excellence in service.

Wife and I are booked on a B2B Century cruise March/April 2015: Singapore to Dubai to Rome, and it seems that it is likely Century's last cruise with Celebrity. In businesses, school and many other times, the last week of employment etc a 'the hell with it' attitude develops. Has anyone been on the Horizon or Zenith or Galaxy and Mercury ship on it's last celebrity cruise? Did service, food, attitude and maintenance fall apart? Or they keep the good reputation intact? Also did Celebrity do anything extra on the farewell cruise (not the OBC which has been done). I hope the last days on the job syndrome is not the rule.

Thanks for your input

Lancet

We did this itinerary with RCCL last year and found exactly what you described. I think it was due to the change in itinerary and crew. Legend of the Seas (a ship that seems ready to dispose of to me) had been doing a short Asian itinerary out of Singapore. The kitchen people were not used to the regular menus. The port calls were terribly disorganized and no one seemed to care. Several hot tubs were out of service the whole time and the projector in the theater blew a bulb and there was not a replacement available. The wonderful lecturers had no AV to use. Even the captain changed in Dubai. I have to say that there was improvement from Dubai to Rome. The maitre'd told us they were learning to prepare the menu and it did improve the second segment. This is probably the best itinerary we ever had and I hope you enjoy it as much as we did in spite of the ship. I think the last days on the job syndrome effect will depend on the leadership of the captain, staff captain, and hotel director.

Edited by HokiePoq

We are on the Singapore to Dubai cruise. I hope the ports in India will be docked not tender.

We are excited about visiting so many out of the way places. From Singapore, we plan to go into Malaysia. Also, India should be fun. I had a friend that visited Muscat, Oman and said it was fascinating.

As regards Galaxy&Mercury : both ''deadheaded'' accross the Atlantic to the yard in Germany following their last sailings in the USA...so there is really no way to judge.

As far as I can recall, there were no negative reviews pertaining to the last voyage in the Carribeans.

From the Master on down, they're still all employed at delivering a top of the shelf qualitry product ....and will , until they ''hand the keys over''to whichever operator takes over the vessel.

As another poster correctly pointed out; it's all a matter of the leadership from the Master ,his/her staff captain, the CD and HD; all else flows from there.

Cheers

p.s; we're booked on the Dubai-Rome leg....and have no anxiety about the ''last cruise syndrome''.

We were not on the last RCCL Monarch of the Seas sailings - but within a few weeks of the last one And it had some of the best service I have ever experienced on a cruise. I wouldn't worry that the last sailing will somehow influence the service of the crew.

We're also sailing on the last two sailings of the Century. I'm hoping that there will be some special events because of it being the final sailings but my TA has cautioned me that they may actually start decommissioning venues in preparation for the dry dock she will go into when handed over. I'm hoping he will be wrong.

Thank you for your inputs and experiences. The itinerary looks fantastic; and if there is any slacking off, I am sure it will not be enough to mar the cruise. I can roll with the punches, as long as they don't hand me an oar, or oil can to oil the propeller shaft!!. I am on the roll call for this trip and all the posters seem nice and regular folks. Am looking forward to the cruise. By the way, at the end, does everyone charge the goal post and tear it down? :)

Thanks again

Lancet

my TA has cautioned me that they may actually start decommissioning venues in preparation for the dry dock she will go into when handed over. I'm hoping he will be wrong.

Generally speaking, this is always the case; prep work takes place during the pre-drydock cruises.

BUT, this is an exceptionnal scenario. It's a farewell sailing, already enlisting a lot of ''veterans'' loyalists. Also, the new operator is the one who's responsible for the drydock ,as the first step after ''getting the keys''. This is a standard processus when such transfer takes place; the new operator gets title, looks after the refit which is designed to turn the vessel over to its new market conditions; the drydock cost becomes part of the acquisition costs ( capitalized for tax purposes). Therefore, they would not be ''welcome'' embarking some of their trades and workers to do prep work during the last cruise operated by the previous owner....

I 'm sure the last cruise will be ''up to the highest standards''...''going out in style''.

Welcome aboard

Cheers