Kettle in the room ?

tdubya

Apologies for the silly question but do rooms include a kettle to make tea please ?

As mentioned, there is no kettle in the room.

However there is boiling water available 24/7 in the cafetaria (and other places on the ship, depending on the ship). I know that if you take the "coffee deal", you buy a mug and you can help yourself to tea and coffee as much as you want. Maybe if all you need is the warm water and you bring your own tea bags, you can take the water for free?

Sounds interesting SarniaLo. What is the 'coffee deal' ? Does it include tea as well ?

The "coffee deal" is this : you buy a mug and you can get as much coffee and tea as you want during the trip. The coffee is plain simple coffee (not cappuccino or other type of coffee drink you can buy in the cafetaria) and the tea is boiling water and tea bags. The coffee is not great but there is usually a nice selection of tea and herbal tea. The mug is quite nice, with your ship's name on it and the Hurtigruten logo (lately, the body was red). It's a thick metallic mug with a lid, not a thermal mug per se but it still holds warmth quite well. You get to keep the mug of course! ;)

As far as I remember the "coffee deal" is around 450 NOK.

Tea and coffee included in the coffee deal are usually available 24/7 in the cafeteria, and depending on the ship also in other places during the day (bar...).

Do they have fresh milk to go with the tea?

The default is individual "whitener" liquid containers masquerading as milk (you may assume I'm not very impressed with them - in Norway or elsewhere :().

However they usually have a small jug of milk in fridge in cafeteria if you ask.

I think that Hurtigruten staff have got used to the English & their tea habits (after all they've had over 100 years of them asking!)

Fair Winds & Weather

As far as I remember the "coffee deal" is around 450 NOK.

Tea and coffee included in the coffee deal are usually available 24/7 in the cafeteria, and depending on the ship also in other places during the day (bar...).

The last note I found was that coffee deal was NOK245 (for full return voyage). If you're really keen it's valid for all trips on same vessel for 12 months! :)

Fair Winds & Weather

• 2 weeks later...
The last note I found was that coffee deal was NOK245 (for full return voyage). If you're really keen it's valid for all trips on same vessel for 12 months! :)

Fair Winds & Weather

It was 345NOK for us. Both coffee and tea available in the café, but anyone caught trying to take the mug into the dining room will be told it's not allowed.

We used a travel kettle in the room & took with us a load of sachets of coffee and hot chocolate & some tea bags. Far better than walking through the ship early or late when you really need your drink most.

I reckon the coffee mug deal only just paid for itself for us, but we also get to keep the mug.