EPIC review: a wonderful fortnight!!!!!

Sparky38

I promised to give some feedback on our holiday so here goes.

After a strange few months we were fortunate enough to book the EPIC for the third time as a last minute holiday. We booked a B2B on the same itinerary as we did not want to travel all the way from the UK for one week......

We had a two bedroom family villa in The Haven. I had done my homework before we sailed but I was still not prepared for the wonderful space that we would be spending our two weeks in. The view from the bath and shower were incredible.

We had excellent customer service throughout our break. A special thanks must go to Ryan our Concierge. I honestly don't know how he manages to maintain his professional and personal approach to each guest, particularly when hearing the detailed "requests" from some of the guests.

Our butler was also lovely - we had made a decision to have a few DVD/pizza nights as we were so tired before our break and Petu was absolutely marvellous in the way in which he looked after us. When my husband tried to go the bar to pick up one of our bottles of wine (we bought the wine package) he and Ryan pointed out that they could do this for us - we let them but felt very embarrassed as they work so hard it was no hardship for us to wander along the corridor and look after ourselves.

The ship was as lovely as ever. We ate in the EPIC Club a couple of times and also Moderno, La Cucina and Shanghais. The only slight disappointment was Moderno as the service seemed a bit random. Also as our appetites have shrunk we were a little over-faced by all the food. The spicy sausage pasta at La Cucina was a real hit though!!!! The buffet choice was also very good from our point of view.

We did Cirque Dreams as we had never done this show before and really loved it. We thought the entertainers were brilliant and were blown away by some of the acts. We are also huge Howl at the Moon fans and have stayed in touch with Drew and Colleen so it was lovely to meet up with old friends. They did a session with the guitarist, Jim Capik, in Maltings on the last night - they do half an hour usually but played for over two hours, including a few numbers that they knew would really mean something to us - what a lovely way to end our holiday!

Now the ports - doing a B2B made us a little complacent as we were able to wish the ports goodbye until the following week during week one. We were a little more emotional on the following week knowing our holiday end was looming. We did the Martha Brae river trip and loved the actual rafting but felt the day was very long in terms of travelling for the actual excursion. We also did the Mayan Ruins/beach break in Costa Maya which was excellent - the guide was brilliant. My husband fulfilled a long-standing dream and played golf in Cozumel - I went with him and drove the buggy - we had a blast!

The other lovely thing about the ports was that we met up with the The Dawn in Costa Maya and Cozumel. This made for a brilliant atmosphere on the portside - on our last day in Cozumel the dancing to promote the White Hot Party (which we did not make it to as we were so tired....) was fantastic!

The following week we had a wander in Jamaica and then did beach breaks in Costa Maya (with friends) and Cozumel (Mr Sanchos rocks!!!!).

We also managed to get to the gym a few times and spent hours in the hot tubs in The Haven. I had Shellac mani and pedicures - it was great to be pampered but the hard sell on products was a little much - if I had bought everything they recommended I would need an extra suitcase and a lottery win!:)

My husband bought me a beautiful bouquet of roses at the start of our second week which was a real treat - they were lovey to see each time we walked back into our cabin!

In summary this was a truly memorable holiday and one of the best. Despite having sailed The EPIC before we seemed to do different things and have new experiences - we would sail on her again in a heartbeat!!!!

I hope this review helps and please feel free to post any questions.....

Thank you for your review. I'm on the Epic next month for the 3rd time & just as excited as I was first time around. While we tip the butler well like you I hate to bother them & I'm just very appreciative of the little treats that were waiting for us when we returned to our suite each day.

Wow a B2B!! how wonderful! Thank you for the lovely review. Glad you enjoyed your holiday. I leave next saturday to sail on sunday. Can't wait!! This will be my 3rd time on the epic and I will definitely miss her when she goes to Europe.

Quick question- do you remember what day the VIP cocktail party was held and which day was the Latitudes reception?

Wow a B2B!! how wonderful! Thank you for the lovely review. Glad you enjoyed your holiday. I leave next saturday to sail on sunday. Can't wait!! This will be my 3rd time on the epic and I will definitely miss her when she goes to Europe.

Quick question- do you remember what day the VIP cocktail party was held and which day was the Latitudes reception?

The VIP do was on the Monday the first week and the Wednesday the second week with the Lattitudes reception on the Monday of the second week.

Thanks so much for your wonderful review! We are counting the days until we get to see the Haven area - super excited. This will be our first time on the Epic and it is so comforting to know that even after 3 times, you would go again. So glad you had a great time!

As newbies to the Epic Haven, what would you recommend as the number one thing we should do?

Good question

In no particular order

Late afternoon jacuzzi when it's dead quiet

There are double sunbeds on Posh which are also nice for relaxing on later in the day when it's not so hot

Evening meal in the Epic Club

Breakfast in the Epic Club!

Basically it's all wonderful! I'm the OP's other half by the way so I concur that we had a wonderful time and love the ship!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks so much for your wonderful review! We are counting the days until we get to see the Haven area - super excited. This will be our first time on the Epic and it is so comforting to know that even after 3 times, you would go again. So glad you had a great time!

As newbies to the Epic Haven, what would you recommend as the number one thing we should do?

I am seriously beginning to think that we will never leave the Haven!

Good question

In no particular order

Late afternoon jacuzzi when it's dead quiet

There are double sunbeds on Posh which are also nice for relaxing on later in the day when it's not so hot

Evening meal in the Epic Club

Breakfast in the Epic Club!

Basically it's all wonderful! I'm the OP's other half by the way so I concur that we had a wonderful time and love the ship!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks for the wonderful suggestions. I will take each one to heart and happily do each one (and then repeat as needed ;)) Glad you had a lovely time on your holiday, too!!

I am seriously beginning to think that we will never leave the Haven!

I was sitting here thinking the exact same thing! I can tell you one thing, they are going to have to call security on 20 April because I am not going to go willingly! :D

The VIP do was on the Monday the first week and the Wednesday the second week with the Lattitudes reception on the Monday of the second week.

Thanks, so it looks like I have to wait until I am onboard to see which days they will be when I cruise. Guess I can wait Only 5 more days to go!! :p

Thanks for the info and review!

Thanks, so it looks like I have to wait until I am onboard to see which days they will be when I cruise. Guess I can wait Only 5 more days to go!! :p

Thanks for the info and review!

Have a fabulous time! I know you will......!!!

So nice to read your review on the Epic ...we sail on the 16th, FIRST time with NCL . There are 6 of us going and i picked the SHIP , I just hope I picked the right one lol . :eek:

If your experience is half as good as ours you will be fine - enjoy!!!