Questions about cruise to Hawaii

lauren0309

While I have not booked this cruise yet, I'm in the early stages of planning. I had a few questions. We're thinking of flying in 2 days early to sightsee when we arrive. What is a must see in Honolulu?. One of the places in our plans is the Pearl Harbor memorial. We also want to go to the Volcano National Park. Does the ships itinerary include a stop where the park is?

While I have not booked this cruise yet, I'm in the early stages of planning. I had a few questions. We're thinking of flying in 2 days early to sightsee when we arrive. What is a must see in Honolulu?. One of the places in our plans is the Pearl Harbor memorial. We also want to go to the Volcano National Park. Does the ships itinerary include a stop where the park is?

This is a great cruise and going in a day or so early is a great idea. We did that. Rented a car and drove around the island to the North Shore where the big waves are, stopping along the way at many beautiful spots for photos. On the way back to our hotel, we came down through the middle of the island and stopped at the Dole Plantation. Even though it is a little "touristy" it is a great learning experience about how the pineapples are raised and the pineapple ice cream is wonderful. We did Pearl Harbor the morning before we boarded the ship since there was plenty of time. Of course, this is not to be missed. My husband dropped me and our luggage off at the pier and then returned the car to the airport and then took a cab back to the pier where we boarded. The boarding process is wonderful with wonderful entertainment by the Hawaiian people. There are many tour opportunities to the Volcano National Park on the big island - either private or a ship tour is an option. Also - do NOT miss the opportunity to participate in a Luau! We booked the premium seats through NCL and were treated like royalty. It is worth every penny.

Enjoy!

Cole

The Pride of America makes two stops (2 separate days) on the Big Island of Hawaii.

The first is in Hilo, and this is when you'd want to see Volcano National Park, either with a rental or a tour (private or through NCL).

The second day is in Kona, which has much more in the way of various water sports/excursions, plus some other choices.

GeezerCouple

We did the Hawaii cruise. You will definitely want a couple of days ahead just to get past the jet lag coming from the east coast.

On Oahu definitely do Pearl Harbor. You have to go early, they only take so many people to the memorial each day.

Do Dole Plantation, and drive up to the North Shore and hit Matsumotos shave ice. WOW!

There is also a Polynesian Cultural Center on the island. We didn't go as it seem touristy, but others have enjoyed immensely.

Volcanoes National Park is on the big island. Don't miss it.

Definitely hit up a luau.

Enjoy! It was my second favorite cruise after Alaska.

For your Pearl Harbor visit, make sure you pre-purchase your ticket. Otherwise you will have to go extremely early and wait in line. Also we rented the audio tour, which was really worth it. When we were planning our Hawaiian cruise, I found more information on the Pride of America on the Hawaii port board then on this NCL one. So of you haven't already, check that out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Definitely do the Pearl Harbor Memorial, WITH the audio tour, and book in advance, as others have said. It's such a moving experience, and one I'd love to do again.

On Oahu, we also rented a car and drove to the North Shore. It's beautiful! We did a shark cage snorkel experience on the North Shore, too, which is still one of the coolest things I've ever done in my life. Unbelievable.

One thing that helped me tremendously in preparation was to buy the "Revealed" series of books (Oahu Revealed, Maui Revealed, etc). I bought one for every island, and they were incredible resources. For example, when we drove the Road to Hana on Maui (in a convertible, of course!) there were pull-offs and "secret" spots that you would never know about otherwise that were absolutely breathtaking. The instructions in the book read like "After you pass XYZ road, you'll drive EXACTLY 1/8 of a mile and see a giant boulder on the right next to what looks like a walking path on the right. It's actually a road. Drive down it and park in the clearing. Walk 150 yards and you'll come upon the most amazing blue lagoon and swimming hole with a waterfall that you've ever seen. And it's not private property, so go for a swim!" Stuff like that for every island.

I'm jealous! I wish I were going again. Someday....

Edited by Quincella