Excursion-Lisbon or Sintra/Cascais

If it's your first time in Lisbon I would stay there as there is plenty to see and it's a very attractive city. The castle of St George is especially nice with a café, shady areas and gardens, and stunning views.

We did a trip to Sintra and Cascais on our second visit. I was a bit disappointed with it as there wasn't long enough in either place, but particularly in Sintra where I felt we missed out on the beautiful castles I'd heard about. It was a 4-5 hour tour so we had to stay in the main centre of town, while the castle area is a bit further out. The tour would have been great if it had just gone to Sintra.

kate

We'll be docking in Lisbon (RCL) and we're trying to decide whether it would be better to sign up for a Lisbon excursion or a Sintra & Cascais excursion, both through the ship. Can anyone help me decide?

Have you been to Lisbon before? If not, I would concentrate on seeing the city. We had one day there on our TA last fall, and we just scratched the surface. Belem itself (with the Tower, the Monument to the Discoveries, and the Monastery) was so amazing we could have spent the entire day there.

Have a great trip!

BelemTower_zps0bde9cd4.jpg

HenrytheNavigator_zpsf7cdb842.jpg

JeronimosMonastery_zps0e2bc2a1.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

Thank you so much for this information. I am also going to Lisbon in a few months, with RCCL. I wanted to see castles in Sintra, glad to know the Castle in Lisbon is a good choice also.

Very different - Castle in Lisbon is a more of a ruin (but beautiful vantage point over the city and wonderful cafes in the surrounding area. Sintra has castles that still have their roofs. :) But personally, I would still do Lisbon over Sintra and Cascais - Belem area is wonderful. IMHO Monastery in Belem beats the big Sintra Castle as a site to see. And there are many neighborhoods in Lisbon that give cutesy Sintra and Cascais a run for their money. As someone said Sintra and Cascais is second day or multiple day stuff.

Edited by buggins0402

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you so much for this information. I am also going to Lisbon in a few months, with RCCL. I wanted to see castles in Sintra, glad to know the Castle in Lisbon is a good choice also.

This is St George's Castle

which was very interesting but as Buggins points out, is not in mint condition. It costs €7 for adults, a bit less for o-65s and families/children. We called in there as part of our general walk around the city centre doing this
That tram is the famous no 28 which rattles round the Alfama district. In the afternoon we took no 15 tram to Belem
but didn't have time to go to the shop that sells the Pasteis de Belem :mad: Entry to the Discoveries Monument is about €3. We bought the all-day travel ticket (about €6/7) at the underground station across the road from where we (Ryndam) docked. All the best, Tony

Lisbon born and raise here....

I would recommend as 1st time visit to stick to Lisbon.

There is a lot to see

And yes try those Pastéis de Belém.Every cafe here in Lisbon sell them as Pastéis de Nata.But the best ones are the Belém ones....

Enjoy Lisboa

Lisbon City is beautiful,

Outside of terminal plenty of taxi, take one into City ask for taxi to return

In 3hrs, which I do meet up where taxi drop you off.cheaper than ship.

Lovely walk to square, we have done this several times now.

Enjoy your cruise, we are on

INDE may 31st