Help with Balmoral

Julessmiles

Hello

We have not cruised with Fred before but they do appeal to us as we prefer the smaller ships.

Can anybody please advise as to how busy the outside decks get (generally!) during Sea Days in the peak of the summer? Are there ever the 'sunbed wars & problems' that you read about on so many other ships or are there plenty to go around? Are there a lot of open decks & seating areas outside?

Is there entertainment outside on deck during the day? Do Fred have Sailaway parties on deck?

Also, is there a buffet open always during the day for example if you get back after 2pm from a trip out, is there somewhere you can get some food?

Many thanks & look forward to some responses.

Hi, just back from Balmoral out to Dubai. We had no problem getting a sunbed anywhere. Even if the pool area is busy, you can go higher up and always find somewhere.

They do have Sailaway parties, but there is no entertainment other days.

The buffet is not always open, although you can always get tea/coffee and often biccies and cake if you are late back.

I have just come back from Hong Kong where I left the "Balmoral". On occasions when excursions returned late the Palms cafe remained open. If not, room service was always available.

As far as deck "entertainment" is concerned there are the usual games eg shuffleboard, deck quoits etc and, of course, there are two swimming pools and several jacuzzis.

Hi .......the Avon and Spey we find a little "quiet". We much prefer the bustle of the MDR the Ballindalloch.

Other people will prefer the Avon and Spey, they are smaller and seem a little more intimate. If I recall not many tables for 8 or 6 in them.

Always enough wardrobe space for us, and my wife has a different dress for every night and I have formal attire, a linen suit, two jackets etc etc.

We always have inside cabins.

The Balmoral is at a push our favourite ship.

If you enjoy Ballroom Dancing you will be ok on the Balmoral as on all Fred's ships

Try to get to the Dolphin Racing on sea days, it's a Fred Olsen tradition. Although on our last two 7 day cruises they didn't do it.

You don't say where or when you are going.

We have danced lots of times on deck at night in the warm climates.

Never had a problem with beds and the pools are always quiet.

Depending on who you have cruised with before you may find the age group higher than you are used to.

We have three cruises booked for 2014 and 2015 so we love Fred.

Hi .......the Avon and Spey we find a little "quiet". We much prefer the bustle of the MDR the Ballindalloch.

Other people will prefer the Avon and Spey, they are smaller and seem a little more intimate. If I recall not many tables for 8 or 6 in them.

Always enough wardrobe space for us, and my wife has a different dress for every night and I have formal attire, a linen suit, two jackets etc etc.

We always have inside cabins.

The Balmoral is at a push our favourite ship.

If you enjoy Ballroom Dancing you will be ok on the Balmoral as on all Fred's ships

Try to get to the Dolphin Racing on sea days, it's a Fred Olsen tradition. Although on our last two 7 day cruises they didn't do it.

You don't say where or when you are going.

We have danced lots of times on deck at night in the warm climates.

Never had a problem with beds and the pools are always quiet.

Depending on who you have cruised with before you may find the age group higher than you are used to.

We have three cruises booked for 2014 and 2015 so we love Fred.

Thank you for your comments.

Haven't decided yet exactly when or where - looking at 2015 as we have already booked for 2014. Looking at Canaries, Norway and/or Spain & France.

Think we may prefer the MDR - have been in A La Carte restaurants onboard before which are smaller & more intimate & although lovely, everyone seems to talk quietly & you feel people may be listening in on your conversation!

I think we may find average age slightly higher than we are used to (from what I have read) however we have been on other cruises with all ages & providing we are not ostracised for being slightly younger, we don't mind! We are sociable & like to mix with all ages.

We are not after an all singing, all dancing ship with huge shopping malls, ice rinks, climbing walls etc but we do like the pools, we enjoy & appreciate a nice meal in pleasant surroundings, we do love the shows & we do love to sit & listen to music in the evenings after the shows. We don't ballroom dance - I learnt when I was younger but my OH has 2 left feet!

Is there any entertainment in the evenings aside from the shows? Do they have duos or bands playing in any of the bars?

Thanks again.

Edited by Julessmiles

Sounds like the Balmoral is just what your after.

Yes they have other music in some of the bars and the other lounges.

Often they have a singer from the Show group later in the night.

From early evening we are either eating, at the main show, dancing somewhere or listening to music until bedtime.

On a Norway cruise in August last year we never got to bed before 1 am.

We had a great set of table companions and we always ended up in the late night "disco".

The AI package is great by the way.

Sounds like the Balmoral is just what your after.

Yes they have other music in some of the bars and the other lounges.

Often they have a singer from the Show group later in the night.

From early evening we are either eating, at the main show, dancing somewhere or listening to music until bedtime.

On a Norway cruise in August last year we never got to bed before 1 am.

We had a great set of table companions and we always ended up in the late night "disco".

The AI package is great by the way.

It does sound our cup of tea! There are some excellent deals on at the moment. I was attracted to FO when I received an email about a 1 night taster which I have booked onto with a cruising friend on the Boudicca. I then started reading a bit more into it.

We tend to be early risers to enjoy the sunrise & late to bed - I wondered if the ship would shut up by midnight but it seems not - didn't know there was a 'disco'. Now I may as well ask, we will be taking our 2 teens with us; a lot of people have said that we & they are too young for FO & whilst they are great company, very sociable & particularly the older one is a bit of a party lover (in a nice way!), they too enjoy all the above I have mentioned.

Were there any other teens onboard last year in Norway or is it all adults? They are quite happy with adult company - we do other types or holidays where there are no other teens - but it would be nice for them to have 1 or 2 others of their sort of age to mix with some of the time!

I appreciate all your feedback 😊

Now the one thing about Fred is that it's more of a lively Country House Atmosphere.

In all honesty you will not see too many children or teens.

On the Norway cruise there were about 5 or 6 families with under 5's.

No, I can not recall any teens at all. My wife has just told me she remembered two.

I think in School Holidays there may be some family groups.

I would say though that your teens sound balanced young adults and as such will be able to fit in with most on the cruise.

Our favourite ships are Balmoral and Breamar. The Boudica is our least favourite as the dining room does not seem as grand. Although saying that we are booked on the Boudica in July as we want to visit Greenland.

There was only about ten of us in the disco but we had a great time in it.

Now the one thing about Fred is that it's more of a lively Country House Atmosphere.

In all honesty you will not see too many children or teens.

On the Norway cruise there were about 5 or 6 families with under 5's.

No, I can not recall any teens at all. My wife has just told me she remembered two.

I think in School Holidays there may be some family groups.

I would say though that your teens sound balanced young adults and as such will be able to fit in with most on the cruise.

Our favourite ships are Balmoral and Breamar. The Boudica is our least favourite as the dining room does not seem as grand. Although saying that we are booked on the Boudica in July as we want to visit Greenland.

There was only about ten of us in the disco but we had a great time in it.

Thank you for your help - you would make a good Travel Agent; you have given us a lot of food for thought & good advice this evening.

Edited by Julessmiles