Taking food off ship

Kim in CA

Fruit , cheese , meats are a no no. Grab a croissant, box of cheerios, muffin and you'll be ok. If asked when you disembark be honest and they have never taken the items I've just mentioned.

Fruit/cheese/meat is clear. But you are sure you can take a croissant or muffin? Bread would be okay then, too...

Fruit/cheese/meat is clear. But you are sure you can take a croissant or muffin? Bread would be okay then, too...

Bread is dependent on the country and also whether there is fruit, seeds or nuts in the bread/muffin/pastry etc. Best to error on the side of caution and not bring such items unless you find out for sure they are permitted in the particular country you are visiting.

Fruit , cheese , meats are a no no. Grab a croissant, box of cheerios, muffin and you'll be ok. If asked when you disembark be honest and they have never taken the items I've just mentioned.

Muffins and Croissants are not ok. Sealed cheerios are fine in most ports. Sealed items from the manufacturer are for the most part ok on a Caribbean cruise, but clearly NZ and Australia have even tougher laws that potentially would ban cereal as well.

Thanks to everybody who has answered my query about US to Canada.

I guess we will declare what we have and hope for the best. I will dispose of all fresh produce - would have had to anyway since we have quite a few hotel days between self catering properties.

Wine was one of the most likely things actually since we usually buy a few bottles and don't always drink them all.

Actually I have just remembered that the last time we had this sort of vacation my brother-in-law and his wife drove from Canada to visit us in a New England rental property. They brought home made muffins among other goodies - perhaps they were just lucky.

There are VERY FEW restrictions on food items travellers can bring into Canada from the US. Fresh meat, fish, dairy and produce are all allowed. See this link:

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/information-for-consumers/travellers/what-can-i-bring-into-canada-/eng/1389648337546/1389648516990#a1

There are VERY FEW restrictions on food items travellers can bring into Canada from the US. Fresh meat, fish, dairy and produce are all allowed. See this link:

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/information-for-consumers/travellers/what-can-i-bring-into-canada-/eng/1389648337546/1389648516990#a1

The corresponding link for food items entering the US https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/82/~/travelers-bringing-food-into-the-u.s.-for-personal-use (scroll down to see some info specific to coming from Canada).

Declare everything; possible something might be refused entry but other than surrendering the item(s) there should be no problems. Not declaring is asking for trouble.

Enjoy your trip

Thom

Here's a weird question....

If they confiscate said fruit/meat whatever at these checkpoints and throw it away in the garbage there....it's still there, on their soil....so....do they dispose of it in some special way?

Just curious as I've wondered about this LOL

If they confiscate said fruit/meat whatever at these checkpoints and throw it away in the garbage there....it's still there, on their soil....so....do they dispose of it in some special way? ...

On the US-Canada border, the Border Patrols sneak into no-man's-land and heave it back across the border from whence it came:eek: Kidding aside, if the product was legally in Canada (or the US, depending on which way the traffic is flowing), couldn't it just be returned there?

Trash on incoming international flights and goods confiscated coming off those flights does go to special incineration facilities. I'm assuming that ship trash and cruise port confiscations have special incineration facilities either at the port or sealed transfer to such a facility.

Thom

I'm not sure what happens to things taken on border patrols. However, when going through Security at the local airport a few years ago my sealed yogrut was taken away, as it was over the "liquid limit." I turned around just in time to see her put it in a "special area" in her work station. She didn't put it in the trash right beside her, so I can only assume she was having a yogurt break later with my yogurt!

If they confiscate said fruit/meat whatever at these checkpoints and throw it away in the garbage there....it's still there, on their soil....so....do they dispose of it in some special way?

And the same could be asked about all the lethal water bottles and large tubes of toothpaste confiscated by airport security. Is it handled by the bomb disposal unit?

It's incinerated.