MSC Opera from southampton - to go or not

chelseauk

Hi,

2nd time cruising and we are looking at going to the baltic. Our 1st experience was with celebrity and it was great. Looking this time we have noticed what seems a good deal with MSC - but looking at the reviews I'm not sure. So I thought i'd ask people who have travelled with MSC. What is it really like recently.

Important to us are the food and main entertainment and the cabin.

It's an ocean room view by the way.

Bars aren't important.

Chelsea.

Hi,

2nd time cruising and we are looking at going to the baltic. Our 1st experience was with celebrity and it was great. Looking this time we have noticed what seems a good deal with MSC - but looking at the reviews I'm not sure. So I thought i'd ask people who have travelled with MSC. What is it really like recently.

Important to us are the food and main entertainment and the cabin.

It's an ocean room view by the way.

Bars aren't important.

Chelsea.

I suspect you will be disappointed with the food as compared to Celebrity, as it is very Italian influenced. though the Risottos and freshly prepared pizzas (in a dedicated pizza grill) are brilliant.

Our experience of the buffet was it was dire (on embarkation day) and we never used it again. In the MDR food was 3 - 4 stars out of 5 stars.

The cabins are not overgenerous on Opera, we had a grade 11 suite and that was adequate in size.

Entertainment is always "Visual" or Singing dancing (Never comedians or the like) Italian opera nights (with a good tenor) and fabulous if you like opera; and on MSC we have had some of the best i've seen and some average. never had really bad. It does tend to get a bit samey if you cruise with them regularly (we've been 10 times). Live music in the bars usually has a wide variety of styles to suit all tastes

Usually the best thing is the competative pricing

. WE go with a view to visiting new ports of call and relaxing on our balcony

I usually say MSC is an aquired taste and not for 1st or 2nd time cruisers as it is so different from other lines.

THe ships are always immaculate (they even paint the anchors after use) and I've always found the staff helpful (despite other peoples' vews on this, I think a lot depends on your attitude towards them , and a bit of patience and understanding go a long way in that resect)

Anyway here is a link to my review of the southely sailing (Spain/ Portugal etc ) last year

Hope it gives an insight for you.

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=270&t=6463

Pete

Edited by Skier52

I agree with Pete.

I travel solo and travelled in an OV cabin on the Lirica which is a sister ship of the Opera.

I found the cabin much smaller than an OV on Celebrity e.g. no sofa to sit on.

MSC are normally cheaper than Celebrity and there is a reason.

MSC is for an experienced cruiser IMHO.

Annie

Edited by anniegb

I've found a couple more reviews for you that are from ecperienced cruisers

Opera Black sea Oct 12

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=270&t=4377

Opera Baltic 2012

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=270&t=3805

And one from Sidari

OPera Norway June 2013

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=270&t=6028

These people usally write balanced reviews (IMHO)

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Hi....we have done a few cruises now....on different cruise lines...including Celebrity which for us we found the best.

We have always wanted to try MSC and because MSC after this year are no longer sailing from the UK...we can't fly any more...we decided to give them a try.

The itinerary and price are right so if we keep that in mind I am hoping that overcomes any "shortfalls" that MSC may have.

If you can do the same then I would give them a try even though it is only your second cruise.

On our last cruise which was with P&O that was a major disappointment so who knows..we may be pleasantly surprised.

We are also trying a Thomson cruise this year...I wouldn't think they are in the same league as to what we used to but once again itinerary and price are right and we will bear that in mind when we make our overall judgement.