Can't find many ships excursions to Florence. Help please!

welshfamily

That leather store at the meeting place is actually a nice benefit. The rest rooms are large and clean -- and FREE [that's rare in Europe]. And the store did not have any presentation when we were there; in fact we were left alone to browse and would have needed to get a salesperson's attention if we had wanted to buy anything. It was a great convenience [pun] at both the beginning and end of our walking tour of Florence...

I would agree with you and have no issue with the leather store on the Piazza Santa Croce, in Florence, as a meeting place. As a meeting place it isn't even necessary to go into the store itself. However it appears that they've now reinstated a long stop at a leather factory outside of town before the bus even gets to Florence. This makes all the bus passengers captive and creates a delay in getting to Florence itself. When we had this stop in 2007 the prices were outrageous ranging from 50 euros for a key chain and jacket prices beginning around 1,000 euros. I have no idea if the items were sufficient quality to justify the price, nor how much they would bargain, as we were not interested in items anywhere near their prices regardless of the quality level. After gong to the bathroom and 3 minutes in the store we just wanted to get back on the bus and get into Florence but had to endure a long wait. Despite all that I would still consider the tour if it was at least a couple hours longer as it was a nice way of getting into Florence and not having to worry about traffic or other delays on the long trip back. But it makes no sense to spend nearly 1/4 of the time in Florence in a leather store outside of town.

My favorite activities in Florence: Start the day with an incredible cappuccino in one of the nice cafes around town. Just walk around town slowly enough to really appreciate the architecture, outdoor art, and scenery in this wonderful city. Have a great lunch in a nice restaurant. There is a temptation to try and schedule too much into a short trip there that should be avoided. If we were on our first trip I wouldn't even consider trying to spend time in the museums as that would cut into time available for just enjoying the other sights around the city.

Edited by Lsimon

Frankly I don't know what the deal is lately with Celebrity not offering quality (or any) excursions. On our upcoming TA, we waited for an On Your Own to London. Never showed up. Called, not having one this time. Meanwhile, same time for Princess, they have THREE excursions to London listed. Don't know what gives, as everyone doesn't want to go to Dover or Canterbury..............

Sadly I think the rationale of excursions is how much money they can make for the Cruise company and the kickbacks they presumably get from the "rest stops and shopping opportunity combined" businesses.

I don't think it has very much to so with offering a quality product or the interests of the passengers.

Even when we paid top dollar for a private car with guide and driver in St Petersburg for an afternoon we were taken to a small shop selling amber and other trinkets. We are offered use of the restroom and a small cup of coffee and, of course, we bought something. Personally I was perfectly happy to leave empty handed but my husband felt too embarrassed so I chose the cheapest pair of earrings that I liked. I still feel a bit annoyed about it to be honest although our guide and driver were excellent.

Edited by CABINET

Sadly I think the rationale of excursions is how much money they can make for the Cruise company and the kickbacks they presumably get from the "rest stops and shopping opportunity combined" businesses.

I don't think it has very much to so with offering a quality product or the interests of the passengers.

Even when we paid top dollar for a private car with guide and driver in St Petersburg for an afternoon we were taken to a small shop selling amber and other trinkets. We are offered use of the restroom and a small cup of coffee and, of course, we bought something. Personally I was perfectly happy to leave empty handed but my husband felt too embarrassed so I chose the cheapest pair of earrings that I liked. I still feel a bit annoyed about it to be honest although our guide and driver were excellent.

Couldn't have put it better myself. I agree with every word you have written. For me, this scenario has been coming for a long time. Personally, I think cruiselines are taking their customers/clients (call them what you may) for a ride!!!! They think they have a captive audience and they do, but at what price? People are becoming wiser each time we cruise and I have seen a massive decline in Tour buses waiting at every dockside. Cruise companies only have themselves to blame.