Any tips for Alta, please?

Brissle

We will be in Alta next week - 6th (pm only) / 7th March (all day).

I understand the ship will dock at Elvebakken, but I can't find any sign of a dock on Google maps or Google Earth.

Can anyone please tell me exactly where cruise ships dock and whether there is anything walkable from the ship? We're doing a ship excursion the second day but wanted to just stretch our legs on the first afternoon and wondered whether we can see some local shops or cafes?

Would be grateful for any tips from anyone who has stopped off in this port.

Thanks

We will be in Alta next week - 6th (pm only) / 7th March (all day).

I understand the ship will dock at Elvebakken, but I can't find any sign of a dock on Google maps or Google Earth.

Can anyone please tell me exactly where cruise ships dock and whether there is anything walkable from the ship? We're doing a ship excursion the second day but wanted to just stretch our legs on the first afternoon and wondered whether we can see some local shops or cafes?

Would be grateful for any tips from anyone who has stopped off in this port.

The ships dock near the airport and the shuttle bus runs into town. Alta has a modern shopping centre opposite where the buses stop, it also has hotels and other businesses in the surrounding area. The tourism people will probably meet the ship and provide maps.

There will be many dogs and 'mushers' in the town preparing for the long husky race Finnmarksløpet

The ships dock near the airport and the shuttle bus runs into town. Alta has a modern shopping centre opposite where the buses stop, it also has hotels and other businesses in the surrounding area. The tourism people will probably meet the ship and provide maps.

There will be many dogs and 'mushers' in the town preparing for the long husky race Finnmarksløpet

Thanks gaelsail - that's just what we needed to know.

Do you happen to remember / know what time stores close in the evening / end of day.

I hope we get to see some of the dogs.

thanks

Chris

I can't remember what time the shops open, probably around 10am?

I've just looked up the programme for the winter festival- I think the opening night is 06 March this year.

This is a link to some of my photos from Alta, there are 1 or 2 photos of the ice carvings being made for the festival.

Sorry- forgot the link to the photos. Taken over 5 days/2 years/2 ships

No problem - and thank you - something for us to look forward to.

Great pictures - I must find out about Flikr - a useful facility.

At least we will get snow up there - Tromso, Bergen and Stavanger are all just wet at the moment and forecast the same - shame, because we had hoped to see more snow on this trip.

We're off on Saturday.

Thanks again