Emt shears and cruiselines

Lesinindy

In the past I have always dived with a blunt end knife. I used to do shore dives off the SoCAL coast and much diving in Kelp beds. I really don't want any hassle on the ship so I thought about bringing EMT shears instead of a knife. Has anyone had any experience taking these on and off the ship?

Last week while cruising with Princess I brought my small dive knife that is part of my BC as I usually do. I had no issues nor has it ever been noticed by any ships staff. Another diver on the same trip had a normal 8" dive knife discovered via the boarding scanner after his first dive. The knife was removed from his bag and taken by ships security.

In the past I have always dived with a blunt end knife. I used to do shore dives off the SoCAL coast and much diving in Kelp beds. I really don't want any hassle on the ship so I thought about bringing EMT shears instead of a knife. Has anyone had any experience taking these on and off the ship?

I take them on every cruise and never had a issue. No reason to have a knife in the carib unless you are planning on doing something like wreck penetration and could encounter wiring. Otherwise don't waste your time with a knife and the hassle.

• 1 month later...

EMT sheers simply work better for nearly everything that could possibly happen, but they just don't have the "cool factor" that knives do. That said, I have never had a problem with shears when carried in my dive bag.

Most have problems with the dive knives occur after the shore excursion (and not the initial boarding). Princess (our preferred line) usually asks if I have a knife in my bag after coming back from diving, and they usually look at the XRay extra hard if you say no. There are ways to get it back on board, "from what I have heard", but I am not posting it here. If you admit that you do, they will confiscate it, and let you check it back out for your next dive trip, if you are nice and speak "to" the staff and not "at" the staff... basically, don't act like a arrogant / elitist cruiser....

But honestly, shears are simply more effective for diving in the Caribbean....